“Fantastic”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Went to the Royal Lahaina on our honeymoon on 11/25. When we arrived I told the receptionist at the front desk that it was our honeymoon and requested an upgrade and we were immediately upgraded to an ocean front cottage for the entire week. We also got a free bottle of champagne with our room which was modern and very clean.

The beach access at this hotel is fantastic. There are very few people using the beach at any given time so it is almost like your own private beach. Also we rented some snorkel equipment from a place in Lahaina and walked a little ways up the beach to a small but pretty reef for snorkeling. Also within walking distance from the Royal Lahaina is Black Rock which is one of the world's foremost snorkeling spots.

The food at the resort restaurant was pretty good and not too expensive for Hawaiian standards. We bought a package which offered free breakfast buffet each morning which I would recommend because the buffet costs $12.50.

There is a daily parking fee at the resort and an extra fee for using the room safe, but this is well advertised by the resort if you do ANY research at all so this was not a surprise and I had no issues paying the fees.

I have stayed at some of the busier south Ka'anapali resorts (Whaler and Ali'i) and I much prefer the slower pace and smaller crowds of the Royal Lahaina Resort. If you like hustle and bustle and fancy hotels with many frills, stay somewhere else, but if you like to get away from most of the crowds on vacation and have a nice play to stay, go to the Royal Lahaina.

One more thing, make sure to splurge a little for a cottage....it's vacation for goodness sake. You won't regret it.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Johnsburg, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2005

The Royal La Haina has very beautiful grounds and the one of the nicest beaches in the area. The hotel room, and we were in the old section was pretty bad. We too had a large roach or two but worse than that was the bathroom. There was quite a bit of mold on the ceiling and all around the shower area, which smelled pretty bad. We were only there for two days otherwise I would of asked to be moved. It was expensive for breakfast and lunch, so we only ate there twice. A small cheese burger was approx. $12.00. But what do you expect, you are in Maui. Overall, it was ok. and since we weren't paying that much for the room we just dealt with it. I hear the towers are much nicer to stay in, so ask for them instead.

One more thing, there were no elevators in the section were stayed in, so we had to drag our suitcases up 2 flights of stairs.

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank Lori04
UK
Reviewed January 7, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina Hotel December 2002 for our honeymoon we arrived on New Years Eve. The hotel was great and the buffett breakfast was the best we'd ever had. Our room overlooked the ocean and we could see the whales jumping far out at sea - what a picture that was, something we'll never forget. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and it was easy to get around via the buses that were like old fashioned trams. The beach was gorgeous, although the sea's current could be quite strong at times. Maui as an Island had loads to keep us busy for the 11 days we were there. We cycled down Halaekala after watching the sunrise (early start though!), went deep sea kayaking and snorkeling. We also went to the Luau at the hotel - not our sort of food really but the entertainment was magnificent. We also went on the Sugar Train which was very reasonable. We booked our tours with Tom Bigfoot in Lahaina (a very pretty town) and they were extremely helpful.

• Stayed January 2003
1 Thank AnthUk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We went with my wife to Maui for our honeymoon. (Dec 22-27) And the package I bought with United included the Royal Lahaina Resort.
Many people said I should have spent my dollars outside the US. And after this trip I know why.

Thank god I read the reviews and I knew about that $9/day parking before I arrived. Otherwise I would have been really pissed off. It's so stupid to be nickled if you already payed your hotel in advance. They give you a simple peace of paper that you have to put in your car. There is also not much space availiable in the parking lot, so you'll be lucky if you find one at night time.

I bet there are lots of people who don't even pay for it, and they use it, or they can even photocopy the damn piece of paper.

By thew time I arrive to the front desk the person said "Oh, Congratulations" in a lousy way that was hardly convincing. I mean, come on I just got married! I'm in Hawaii, where is the joy in this place?

I have a friend who is native from Hawaii, Oahu, he warned me that locals don't like tourists. Now I know why. The people at the front desk has a lousy service, they are so... so... relaxed that you have to repeat them twice so they can understand you. They simply don't seam to care much, unless you open your wallet and show some green bills (then you'll see their eyes shine)

The room was fine and clean. Just be sure you get the oceanfront room. It will assure you privacy, almost no noise at all plus an spectacular view of the Kanapalii Beach. They cleaned my room the 5 nights I stayed there so I have no complaints about that.

I liked the pools and I'm glad the managers were kind enough to invite us to a party when we had free drinks and barbecue.

The big problem is people. They are so snobish, that makes this place TERRIBLY BORING!! At night you don't see anything going on. Just a couple of guys playing Ukelele and some Hawaiian Songs in the Lounge while people (having drinks) barely applauded.

Frankly I don't see any Hawaiian Spirit in this place. Compare it to Playa del Carmen or Cancun. Maui blows when we talk about night life.
Don't even think about going to the Paradise Bluz Club (the worst place to dance and have drinks ever) Really I warn you.

Be sure to get drinks from the Lounge at the Resort, they made great Pina Coladas. $5.50 / each plus tips if you want them near the pool.

Food is extremely expensive. They have two lousy restaurants, Don The Beachcomber, and Basil Tomatoes. They both make sure to suck every penny for an average poor presented and not so tasty food. ($22 - $32 /plate)

Anyway we made the most of our honeymoon outside this place. We think Maui is very beatiful and definetly a place to visit. But Royal Lahaina Resort really needs better customer service.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Belton, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2004

12/19/2004, We went to the north shore of Oahu and stayed at Turtle Bay Resort. It was the best. We decided to check out Maui and stayed at the Royal Royal Lahaina Resort. When we arrived at 1:30 PM we had to wait for an hour before getting a room. The room was an out dated, run down and pretty much a dump. I have stayed at Motel 6's that were in much better shape. There was no bath tub, only a shower. Our veiw was the side of a building. The house cleaning staff were friendly but the rest were snobby. I noticed there were not allot of local's working. I went to the travel / activities desk and asked for directions to dive boat and I was told since I did not purchase the dive through them, all they could do was give me a map. Everthing was old and dirty. This was the worst resort I have ever stayed at. I am pretty open minded about where I stay at and usually not to hard to please but this place was terrible. I would also suggest staying on the south or east side of Maui. We were always at least a 30 minute drive anywhere we went. The north shore on Oahu is my pick. You still can find the Hawaiian spirit there and the prices for food is reasonable when compared to Maui.

In few words the Royal Lahaina Resort was unfriendly, dirty and in an expensive area.
Mahalo and Aloha

8 Thank gregkeith57
NW, USA
Reviewed December 27, 2004

We had a great time in Maui. Royal Lahaina is perfectly adequate for what we needed. The hotel isn't exactly top knotch, but if you're on a budget, and you like to explore and spend more time visiting your vacation destination then your hotel - this is a good place to be.

The rooms were clean and simple in the Royal Hale section, nothing fancy. The staff was very friendly, we even received a free room upgrade upon arrival which was a great surprise. The staff responds to friendliness, so if you are rude, don't expect a room upgrade or pleasantness in return. We were pleasant and were treated wonderfully. The luau is every night, and quite loud, if you're going to be in a Royal Hale hotel room around dinnertime you may wish you request another room on the opposite side of the luau, where you still hear it but not nearly as loud. Personally I wasn't bothered by it, although it is basically the same thing everynight so be prepared for some repetative listening.

Be aware of the $12/day resort fee, which should just be included in the price. It covers parking, safe, coffee, phone calls. You can opt out, and pay for things individually, its $9/day for parking, $1 for each local call, $1.50 + $0.50 a minute for 800 numbers - silly stuff.

The beach is wonderfully beautiful but crowded, about a mile long heading to the north, and a short walk to the south side of Kaanapali beach and blackrock, which is even more crowded but about 2 miles long. Unfortunately there's an awful amount of cigarette butts and litter of pop and beer cans from people who trash the beach. We explored much of the coastline and just about everywhere we saw cigarette butts. If you smoke have some respect, the beach is not an ashtray. Don't throw your garbage around in paradise.

Snorkeling is pretty good in front of the new Westin building which is maybe a quarter mile walk north of the Royal Lahaina along the beach. Black rock is also good but on a very crowded stretch of Kaanapali Beach in front of the Sheraton, a short walk south. The waters are a bit cloudy now, and the coral is being smothered from dust and dirt being blown into the ocean from the construction at the Westin, so enjoy it while it lasts. The best snorkeling visibility tends to be in the morning.

We saw local police patrol the beach, and police are frequently seen in downtown Lahaina. You may view this as good or bad. High crime, or just extra protective? Who knows, but theft is relatively common, so don't leave valuables in your car when on hiking or exploring trips around the island.

I would stay here again. I think the people who are complaining are used to staying in costly resorts, such as Hyatts, Hiltons, Four Seasons, etc. If you want to spend a bunch and get spoiled, go to the south side of the island - Grand Wailea and Four Seasons are extreme luxury. You get what you pay for. If you're on a budget and don't spent every minute at your hotel grounds, this is a good place. Don't expect red carpet treatment, and be prepared for finding cigarette butts as you comb the sand to build sand castles in some areas. The hotel itself was quite busy throughout our stay, many europeans and australians stay here which I see no problem with.

You're on vacation, enjoy yourself. Don't let the little things ruin your time.

A note if you're on a budget: If you're shopping, try to bargain - many people are quite flexible with prices that otherwise seem outrageous. Food is very expensive at the resorts and hotels, so prepare for that.

2 Thank molecule
Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2004

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina From Dec. 11 - 18th. This is our first trip to Hawaii!
If you are looking for a fancy, 5 star hotel, then go to Vegas. Otherwise, if you are there to see and experience Maui, stay here.
We had a wonderful time here. Must admit to park you car ($9 per day) and the breakfast buffet ($13) are pricy, everything else is ok.
This resort has a free Shuttle Trolley that takes you to Whaler's Village once every hour. Whaler's Village is a shopping district and eating area close by. We even walked a couple times (takes about 20 minutes one way). Very nice walk, you walk right beside beautiful gold course and other hotels on way.
They also have a bus that goes to town of Lahaina every hour, this costs $1 per person each way so not too bad.
Hotel staff were excellent, very helpful.
Laua is on 5 nights a week so a little noisy for us as we were staying right beside it. But we just went out for the evening and enjoyed the other amenities so noise didn't bother us...........shopping, entertainment etc.
Pools are very cold, ocean is warmer to swim in.
Eddie and brother played at little pub at hotel. They were absolutely hilarious and made you feel welcome.
Hotel room was ok , Just had a shower, no tub, had a fridge, hair blower, tv and most importantly air conditioner. All worked , no problems. We stayed at Royal Hale part.
Shower leaked but we told front desk and someone came down within hour to fix it.
Aloho night we were invited to with free drinks, food and entertainment, this was very nice of managers to do this. We had a woenderful night, met people, entertained etc.
Grounds are beautiful, see mountain in a distance, beach is right there, stores right on grounds for late night convenience (sundries, postcards, drinks, sandwiches). Ice cream store had outragious prices, something like $5 for one ice cream cone.
Hung out at beach alot, saw a whale in distance. Towels are provided free of charge from the pool guy. Always found a chair to use while at beach/pool area. Lots of birds there not afraid of humans at all. Then rent snorkling stuff and blow up rafts on grounds if interested. (pricy though).
One day, someone was snorkling and found a 20 dollar bill in water. They said they saw a hundred dollar bill float by but could not catch it, so nonetheless, a few people went out then and tried to find it, no luck though.
Drinks by pool and beach expensive but to be expected. Thet do have machines with bottled water and other beverages for $1 by rooms so that was pretty cheap. Luau was ok, not many drink selections, only 2 kinds of drinks. Food was ok , tables were close together.
Attraction desk had an amazing knowledgeable lady there working who helped us book our fun activities.
Overall, we had a great time! so much to do and see. But caution, food is very expensive there, especially the fish meals. But you are there to enjoy and indulge after all you are on holidays!
Don't spend too much time in rooms so the appearance does not matter.
Hope to go back to another island of Hawaii. Was so nice to get away from the snow and cold weather back home even if only for a week!
Mele Kalikimaka!! (Merry christmas in Hawaiian)!

• Stayed December 2004