“Never ever again. They lied.”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 18, 2004

An extremely noisy stay with buses and trucks backup- beeping. We booked and paid for an ocean view room with a tub. Due to construction noises on the west side where they had swinging scaffold where grinding, sawing and hammering occurred. The main pool was covered with tarps. The tub was a 30" x 30" stall with a seat in the corner(japanese furo). At the desk, they tried to assure me that this was their tub and the sun set in the north. They do have a jacuzzi up near the freeway and tennis courts. There was a micro fridge which I had to defrost with a hair dryer before we could use it.
There is a $126 charge on my bill for parking.
They charge$2 to get a baked potato instead of mashed with the prime rib dinner. I forgot to tell them to cook the mixed vegetables. The coffee was luke warm.
I will now be getting a new travel agent for putting us in that hotel.

• Stayed: November 2004
7  Thank goldenboy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,147)

Reviewed November 16, 2004

Enjoyed the 25th Anniversary Story! We came for our Honeymoon in 1984 and are coming 1st of the year!!!! No, its not the Ritz; but who wants all those people around! We have fond memories of the Garden Cottage and after 20 years of marriage; we want to return!!!! Yes, you can get more posh accommodations but your can't beat the atmosphere and staff from what my memories serve me! Can't Wait.....
Michele and John
Dallas TX

Reviewed November 15, 2004

When I read the review :
"R.L. Does Not Care About Customer Safety!!!!!!!," A TripAdvisor User, Foster City, CA, October 26, 2004

I smiled. I'm 5'10 and had the same ceiling fan experience. Luckily, I had no blood loss or major pain like the previous reviewer.
As someone in the legal world I am suprised by how the hotel handled the situation and the position they took. Somewhat outrageous. I believe they were quite responsible and legally owe this guest.

Ps - if you plan to do any business on your computer via internet make sure to bring your our extension cords - our standard room had two open plugs - in the bathroom. So charging batteries for the camera, cell phones, ipod, and anythign else was such a hassle. If you wanted to connect to the internet using the phone you have to pull out the bed an unplug either the alarm clock or lamp to power your computer.
Ive been to countless hotels and this was very strange. When I asked the front desk if there was anything they could do, such as provide an extension cord - the response was that the hotel doesnt have extension cords.

• Stayed: November 2004
3  Thank pepprgrl
Reviewed November 14, 2004

This hotel is located on an amazing stretch of beach.
I stayed here with my girlfriend for 4 nights in August 2002, and had a great time. The Royal Lahaina may not be as impressive as its neighbors -- the Hyatt, Marriott, etc -- but it has all the basic trappings of any beach hotel in Maui -- pool, bar, restaurant, well manicured grounds -- and has a much better stretch of beach than most hotels in the ka'anapali, including the Hyatt. The only down side is that the tower could use a little sprucing up. The rooms are clean, but do show a little wear. Over all, I would say this place is a tremendous value. An excellent location for a very reasonable price.

A TripAdvisor Member
Plainfield, NJ
Reviewed November 11, 2004

My husband posted earlier but, I just wanted to add a few things he forgot to mention. We didn't do the Luau at hotel after reading all the bad reviews. I found a nice one via the web located on Front Street. It's call the OLD LAHAINA LUAU. What a great time we had. The food was excellent, free drinks (top shelf stuff) during and before dinner, real flower lei's, excellent service and a great show. It cost a little more than some of the other Luau's but, I thought it was worth it. The Royal Lahaina served our needs perfectly. We had a wonderful wedding. The maid didn't clean our room one day but, when I went to the front desk the next evening they sent someone to clean it right away. There were no other problems after that. We enjoyed our stay. If you love seafood make sure to dine at Mama's Fish House. Pricy but, the food is to die for. You only live once so enjoy it. Aloha!

• Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2004

Recently my wife and celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the same hotel we met in, the Royal Lahaina Resort. When we met in 1978 ,the hotel had a thriving disco called the Foxey Lady. Times have moved on and the disco is long gone but the friendliness of staff still remains. In particular the Maitre D' for the dining room, Ford Ushiami did a wonderful job looking after us whenever we ate in the dining room.

In a previous review, I noted the comment of a three star hotel in a 5 star setting. The truth is that the Royal Lahaina does not compare to the larger resort hotels such the Sheraton, Westin etc. It is in a class of its own offering staff who have been at the hotel for many years. Some even remember the Foxey Lady Disco.

The hotel has a real island feel with its bamboo papered walls of its dining room.

While we were there, renovations were taking place to continue to improve on the hotel. The facilties are excellent with two pools and a beach that is perfect. The popular Whaler's Village is a 10 minute walk away. This allows the resort to remain a peaceful place away slightly from the crowds.

We took advantage on a $99.00 meal plan per person. This offered 7 full buffet breakfasts, 2 dinners and a $50.00 bar tab, excellent value, excellent food and excellent service.

The wine list was satisfactory with an excellent house reisling at $15.00 a bottle.

The rooms were comfortable. We had been given an uprade to the 12th floor(top floor) with a balcony that overlooked the Ocean. I enjoyed my morning Kona coffee in the room on the balcony before breakfast each morning.

As you can tell, we enjoyed ourselves and look forward to returning in the future. With two daughters entering their 20's, I would consider going back for a wedding.

Reviewed November 3, 2004

My wife and I just got married there on Oct. 17. It was just the two of us. We got married at 10:00 in the morning right on the beach. Everything went perfect without a hitch. The photographer did an excellent job with our wedding pictures. She put EVERY shot on a CD and created a slide show. We burned CD's and sent them to our family and friends and they love it. They feel like they were actually there.

We spent most of our time away from the hotel. Parking is not the problem people claim it is. Some of the spaces at the resort are small, but that's because the cars on the island are bigger now. It's about the same size at the Whaler Village. Parking on Front St. is easy because there's either free parking or validated parking available.

The resort is beautifully landscaped, it's just an older structure. We read all these scary reviews before we came out, but we weren't too worried. We had an Oceanview room, and there was no mold, no mildew, the room was clean. We were given a bottle of champaign for being newlyweds. There was some work being done on the Oceanfront rooms and you could hear the drilling for a couple of days, BUT, that was only from about 9:30 til 4:30 and we weren't in the room that much during the day anyway. Did we eat there...no, we went out on the town. If you want a good breakfast, reasonably priced, go to the Castaway, which is literally next door (really, you just walk there) at the Maui Villas.

There's so many good and affordable places to eat on Front St., why would you want to eat at the hotel anyway?? It's always more expensive and not necessarily that good. They're in the hotel business not the food business!!! I kind of wonder how much time some people are spending in their hotel room, and we were on our honeymoon! When you go to Maui, you want to see Maui!

Overall it's an adequate hotel for people who want a decent place to put their stuff while they're out having fun and don't want to spend a fortune. It's a 3 star hotel. I wouldn't feel bad telling someone to stay here. If you want 5 star service, stay at a five star hotel.

6  Thank kevinmba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!