“Perfectly comfortable”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
“Perfectly comfortable”
Reviewed June 23, 2004

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina for 5 nights in June 2004. We found the hotel and room to be very comfortable. Our partial ocean view room in the Tower bldg was incredible. I was somewhat anxious about the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but was very pleasantly surprised. We found the staff to be friendly, shops on the premises were nice, breakfast buffet was great, location on the beach was perfect. I've stayed at The Whaler before which was beautiful, but for the amount of money we saved staying at the RL, my family of 4 was perfectly pleased. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (996)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 21, 2004

Pros: Good beach
Cons: Aging resort with rooms at Motel 6 quality
Bottom Line: Stay here only if you want the Kaanapali experience but can't afford the Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt, or Mariott.

I have no doubt that when the Royal Lahaina Resort first opened in the early 60s, it was the jewel of Kaanapali. Unfortunately, it has fallen into disrepair and is embarrasingly outclassed by the newer Kaanapali hotels, namely the Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt, and Mariott. Staying at the Royal Lahaina is exactly like staying at an off-Strip budget hotel/motel in Las Vegas. You save some money, but you're a little disconnected from the heart of things and the shortcomings of your accomodations stand out in glaring contrast to the more expensive properties just down the street.

The Resort, however, is not without positive points:

1) A good beach. The Royal Lahaina shares a generous strip of white sand beach with its small neighbor, the Outrigger Eldorado. This section of beach is cut off from the Sheraton/Whaler Village/Westin/Mariott beaches to the south by the rocky point. This is a good thing, since the southern beaches are somewhat Waikiki-like with their crowds, restaurants, and water sports. Although the southern beaches have finer trucked-in sand, I prefer the relative quiet of Royal Lahaina's beach. The rocky point also has somewhat decent snorkeling.

2) A popular in-house Luau. I personally didn't think much of it (compared to Germaine's on Oahu) but met all of my expectations, and people seemed to agree that it was one of the better Maui luaus.

3) Less screaming kids than the larger Disneyland resorts (namely the Westin).

Now, onto the negatives:

1) The facilities are in poor repair. The guest floors are dingy, with Brady Bunch-era colors and decorations. The rooms are at about Motel 6 standards. I wouldn't go so far as to call the bathrooms nasty, but my bathroom door was a crappy sliding door that would fall off its tracks every time you tried to close it, and you got charged $0.75 for every tea or coffee bag you used. The mattress expired sometime around 1975. The room service menu was a copy of a copy of a copy of a bad Xerox copy.

2) The room described above was actually an upgrade - an "Ocean Special." The ocean view from the 9th floor was pretty good. Their "standard" rooms, which are around 60% or so of their rooms, have no view and you are subjected to looking at the parking lot or the roof of an adjoining building. There were some bungalows not in the main building, but I didn't get a good look.

3) Restaurants are meager. The breakfast buffet is a small token buffet of marginal quality. The poolside bar is enjoyable, if a little sleepy. It just isn't the lively and colorful poolside bar that I saw at the larger places.

Stayed August 2002
6 Thank Leisurehead
Arizona
Reviewed June 21, 2004

We loved the Royal Lahaina. We stayed there from June 3 to June 15th. The grounds are really beautiful, and we stayed in one of the cottages. We thought all the people working there were very helpful and friendly. We even had our air conditioner worked on at 10pm, and it was fixed very fast. The person who serviced our room was named Lilian, and she did a great job and was a very sweet woman. I read all the reviews before I left, and was a bit reluctant about going there, but I am sure glad we gave the place a chance because it it great, and we would certainly stay there again. Also, we did not have any trouble parking, there was always a place to park. We also attended the Luau, and it was the best food we ever had at a Luau. You can also walk to Black Rock beach to snorkel, which is one of the best places to snorkel, it is only abaout a 10 minute walk. I can not say enough good things about the Royal Lahaina, I don't understand why people have given it bad reviews.

• Stayed June 2004
1 Thank petlover86322
Reviewed June 20, 2004

I read the reviews 2 days before departing and like many readers panicked and called my travel agent to switch hotels. He advised to give it 1 night and I'm glad we did. We stayed for the full 7 nights in early June. The RL was not bad at all, we did not find many of the complaints of the other guests (the only valid one was the thin walls, one night our neighbors must have been doing sunrise at haleakala because they were up at 3am and so were we - had a connecting room and we complained the next morning, got a bottle of champagne the next day from management). We stayed in the main tower rm 6024 and had a beautiful ocean view and the room was very adequate. I would say for the price this hotel is a great value and I'd advise anyone to give it a chance.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington
Reviewed June 18, 2004

Don't Panic People! This is not as bad a place as so many people have made it out to be~...Our stay was from May 31st until June 8, 2004... and we had a wonderully relaxing vacation for my 50th birthday...
I am a travel agent for the State of Washington and my husband wanted to plan one for a change! HE DID and I was worried about the property at first...I couldn't change the reservations or he would have been cruched...So, I prayed and the Good Lord Blessed Us with a great room....As an agent I must tell you that location and the staff are the most important thing when chosing a hotel on the beach...This hotel has the most beautiful beach in this area of Maui and YES the hotel is aging but it was an upper scale place in it's time. They are working on reconstructing it, and you can not hear them working as they have closed this section off...As soon as you arrive you are greeted by friendly staff...Don't be offended that they ask you to unload you bags and go park before you check-in. It is how they keep the traffic down infront of the lobby and it is for security measures, as well. NO ONE will mess with your bags. Have your wife and/or kid stay there with them if you don't trust them at first. NONE of our things were molested while staying for 8 days. The maids were always attentive (leave them a few bucks a day, spread the wealth~!)...We were on the 8th floor and had a partial view, we could see the ocean and the luau from our balcony. Nice balcony with furniture for the early mornings or late night drink. Coffee maker is provided. Bring your own coffee if you don't want to pay the extra charge for theirs. Parking was full most of the time but never a problem. You need a little walk after eating the gourmet foods of Maui....The Basil and Tomato Restraunt is a great place to walk to on the property if you don't feel like driving. My husband can't sleep laying down because of an accident. The hotel arranged for him to rent a Lazy Boy Chair Much cheaper this way compared to spending another $100.00 per day by having to rent a room with a living room set up. RAC was the company and they were very helpful by sending the brand new chair on time and picking it up when we left. The plumbing is a little slow but remember when you have thousands of people washing sand off their bodies, you are going to have plumbing problems! The pool was nice and right on the beach. Breakfast was good and good price. It isn't the cleanest place in the world but who needs a micro-managed place anyway? If you do then you may want to go to the stuffy hotels that surround the R.L. There are plenty of them but only this one has the laid back feel of Maui! You gotta love that!
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to read mine! Trust Me!!! SAVE MONEY , Stay here and spend the extra Cash on yourself! MIXED PLATE ALOHA is a great place to eat Coconut fried shrimp...It don't get much better than this...Also, go snorkeling next to the black rock right near the hotel's beach...There are lots of ways to save money if you have a family. Bring a suitcase full of your snack foods, cold cereal, drink boxes, paper products, etc. You can easily save $50.00 per day by doing this and skip eating out once a day. Also, bring your own snorkel gear, bring a guide book so you know the good beach access places and the sites along the road to Hana. Don't forget your jacket for the Top of the Volcano .....Haleakula...I don't know if that is how to spell it....OH WELL> HAVE FUN~!

7 Thank I~Love~J~C~2
Oklahoma
Reviewed June 17, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Lahaina June 9-12, 2004. NEVER AGAIN!

We were excited when we arrived in Maui, but was somewhat apprehensive about the Royal Lahaina Resort. Upon arrival we were told we were upgraded to a full ocean view room, but as it turned out, it was the partial ocean view we booked. Last time I checked, a full ocean view means, "your room faces the ocean and does not overlook other roof-tops". Anyway, we got to our room and turned the AC up full blast, but the room never cooled down. The water pressure was very low, but the toilet worked and so did the faucet, but there was a mildew odor in the room.

I must say, for a hotel that was built in 1962, it doesn't deserve the 3-star rating. It DOES NOT compare in any way to a 3-star hotel like Holiday Inn/Express, Hampton Inn, AmeriSuites, DoubleTree, and even the Embassy Suites (those are all 3-star rated hotels). The Royal Lahaina is more like a 2-star hotel, since it has not been properly renovated and does not deserve any higher rating. On a positive note, it has some possibilities, but only if the owners invest some $$$$ and gut the bathrooms first. Get rid of that crappy tile that collects mildew and bacteria.

We also went to the Luau for a pre-wedding dinner. The food could have been a lot better for the price. I was so dissapointed in the fish and the teriyaki steak was tough as leather. However, the pork and cake were delicious and so were the drinks.

We would NOT stay at this hotel again.

7 Thank EZ2Travel
Reviewed June 14, 2004

We just returned from a four night stay in early June. They are doing some renovations to the property, but did a pretty good job of minimizing the disrupting noise. They do charge for each item (even the coffee packets) or you have the option to pay a "resort fee" which includes one coffee/tea service, parking and the use of the in-room safe. Our room had a small refrigerator which was handy. The beach is beautiful and within very easy walking distance of Black Rock, a beautiful snorkeling area. The scuba instructors were wonderful. For the price, we will stay here again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member