4,600 results
All reviewsthe cottagesgarden cottagetower roompineapple waterroyal scoopocean viewblack rockour honeymoonwhalers villagemain towerhula dancerbreakfast buffetfree trolleybeach barwelcome homekaanapali beachbeautiful beach
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The four star rating is not for the cottages at Royal Lahaina. It is for the tower. There is a huge difference. I was not sure whether to give it a 3 or 4 star review. My wife said it was a four star.

My wife and I married in June 1983, and stayed here for part of our honeymoon. We had such nice memories that when I saw a deal for this place in Travelocity for our 31st wedding anniversary trip, and the deal was for the cottages at the Royal Lahaina (which is where we stayed in 1983), I grabbed it.

I felt like they have done anything to maintain the cottages since 1983. I read that there was a 33 million dollar renovation on the tower, but they apparently did not touch the cottages.

The room had many maintenance-related flaws. For example, the shutters would not properly close (which is important when you are at ground level) and the room smelled awfully musty/moldy. I felt like we had just moved into the slums.

I probably waited until around 10 pm to call to complain. I calmly explained the issues (in greater detail than above) and asked to be moved. The front desk was reluctant at first, claiming that they were full, but then said that they could move us in the morning. After a little more gentle prodding, I think that the clerk became just a tiny bit sympathetic and asked to put me on hold. When she came back on the line, she offered to move us to the tower as soon as we were ready to move.

When we walked into the room at the tower, it was so refreshing. After having been in the cottage, it seemed like we had "arrived."

The tower room was nice. It had a little balcony, big enough for two chairs and a little table. It was clean, smelled fresh, was modernized and was comfortable. The hotel provided free, crappy Internet that was a little better than dial-up, and that you had to keep logging back in after an hour or two (or you could pay to get moderate-quality Internet, to avoid being punished for being cheap). I did not like the refrigerator. It cooled the contents only. It did not chill the contents. The room had good air conditioning (especially compared to the little wall unit in the cottage, that could not cool that room).

The staff was pleasant. The location was excellent, with a beautiful beach that was hardly used. The parking was very close to the tower (it would have been far to the cottages, which are on the opposite side of the tower from the parking). There is a luau on the grounds (I left a comprehensive review of that separately).

My wife and I went for a little walk in the direction away from Lahaina. There is a hotel next door that is shut down. It is also beach-front like the Royal Lahaina. That seemed odd.

I am not sure that I would stay here again. The cost was very reasonable, but that low-cost offer was for the cottages (which earns a one-star). If I had to pay a lot more to stay in the tower, I would probably opt for other lodging. But it was a good value at the price they would charge for the cottages.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, stay away from their cottage rooms!!!!! The review explains why.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrianAndMary1
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Aloha Brian. Thank you for the feedback on your stay. Sorry that your original cottage room was not up to your expectations, but glad to hear that you were pleased with the Tower room. We have recently begun a renovation project for our cottages. At this time we have a limited number of fully renovated cottage units available, which can be booked though our hotel reservations office. We will continue the cottage renovation program over the next year. At this time most of our cottage rooms offer an older, moderate level room product. Many guests enjoy these units and the atmosphere of being located amongst the gardens. Our Tower rooms have all been fully renovated and offer a modern, deluxe accommodation experience. Starting prices for our Tower rooms are just slightly higher than the cottage rooms. Additional rate information for all room types can be found on our website. Mahalo.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The hotel is old but very well kept the beach and pools are very good. The service good and the food is also good. It is not a luxury hotel is a family hotel. The golf area is beautiful and the tennis courts are in excellent shape. But the villas are a different story there were people with problems with mice they are renovating the villas maybe that's what happend.

Room Tip: Choose the building not the villas the view is excellent in any side the A/C units are excellent. The hotel is very quite and people and the shows are early in the afternoon so by 9:30 everyone is at their room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maritza G
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Aloha. Thank you for the review. Glad to read that you enjoyed our location and service. As you note we have begun renovations on our cottage buildings. We are renovating one building at a time (each building has six rooms). Currently 4 of the 22 cottage buildings have been renovated and work on the next unit will begin in July. Mahalo.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My family (2 adults & 2 teenagers) stayed here in June. The staff were very courteous and helpful. The beach was Gorgeous! Soft sand and calm waters for swimming and snorkeling. It was less busy on this side of black rock, thank goodness! The happy hour at the beach bar was truly happy and lasted longer than an hour, yah! It was well located for surf lessons, visiting Old Lahaina, and shopping.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Cofah

Aloha. Thank you for the positive review. Glad to read that you and your family enjoyed the location and the service you received. Yes, the Happy Hour lasts 4 hours every afternoon here at the Royal Lahaina. Cheers!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I went to Hawaii to celebrate our 40 wedding anniversary. Our stay was met with unfriendly staff from the time we went to check in to the day we left. When you ask any questions at the front counter they acted as if it was a interuption to their day.When we checked in I was told that I had to show a marrage license. I was told that he could read the notes in front of him. I ask a few more questions about the island I was told to talk to a person at the podium, who by the way was not seen by us at all. We had to pay to park there and yet each time we went out and came back our parking lot was always taken by people at the luau. I ask to speak to a manager and was told I would have to use valet parking. When I said we had already paid for parking I was informed that so had everyone else had also. Our room looked out on to a roof of the building. We had to call and get a chair replaced because it was broken. The room was worn and not what you would expect from that kind of hotel. I work in the service industry and I would never treat people this way. I ask at the resturant if I could go and check out the buffet and was told I had to wait in line with everyone else. I stated again I just wanted to see what was on the bar and I was told to go to the back of the line and she turned her and on me. So when people ask me obout my triip I tell then about the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. and then I tell them if they want a hotel on Maui to look into the Outrigger hotel chain. This trip cost us $9,000.00 and most of that was for or stay on Maui. How sad that for a wonderful place in paradise this hotel made it an expensive trip to hell. We found out what they do with lava rock they make beds out of it. I ask about the spa and was told to look in the folder in the room. Sandra

Room Tip: Look at the internet and the trip advisor befor you go.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sandigallagher
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Aloha Sandra. Our resort strives everyday to offer warm, friendly service and great value for money in a world-class setting. We take great interest in all guest feedback, both positive and negative, and anytime we learn that we have been unsuccessful in exceeding our guest's expectations it concerns us. The experience you describe is obviously not what we want for any of our guests. I will follow up directly with you to review the issues you have outlined and hope that we can regain your confidence. Mahalo.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I had wanted to stay at this resort for over 6 years now, and i was so happy when expedia had a sale and i could afford to stay.
I booked the Standard Tower room (didnt want a cottage).
The hotel lobby is nice and what you would expect from a Hawaiian hotel of this rating. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Always able to answer any questions i had about the hotel or the island.
My room was nice and bigger than i thought it would be. King bed with a nice sized lanai (balcony) with a small table and 2 chairs. The view was really good too, with mountain, resort and partial ocean view in 1.
The bed was by far one of the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in.
And the room has an ipod alarm clock which came in handy, and i could charge my ipod and listen to music in the comfort of my room or on the lanai watching the view.
I love the fact that the hotel is on a more quieter area of Kaanapali. The hotel's beach is a lot more deserted than the main Kaanapali beach at Whalers Village. But also that it is only a 15 minute walk along the Beachwalk to Whalers or a quick complimentary shuttle ride.
I would most definatley stay here again. Cant wait till my next trip to Maui.

Room Tip: Pay extra to stay in the Tower.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank yetti

Aloha. Thank you for the positive review and for selecting the Royal Lahaina Resort. Glad to read that you enjoyed the peaceful ambiance and that you are considering a return trip to Maui. Mahalo.