“Great resort - wonderful beach”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great resort - wonderful beach”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We had a garden bungalow at this resort and although the budget accomodation opposed to the main hotel I have to say the bungalow was gorgeous. We had a view of the golf course, and was a 1 minute walk to the beach.
The bungalow had a massive bed, so comfortable and the room- bathroom was spotless. Again it had everything you could need - the patio furniture was also comfy and in a lovely sunny spot.
The hotel facilities and staff were fantastic, the service was brilliant - everyone smiling.
The beach was gorgeous - we saw whales and could hear them under the water, we also had a turtle swim by us and a seal on the beach - what a trip.
I highly recommended this resort and if you are disappointed with this place you really shouldn't go on holidays.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms..........if you get a garden cottage they all have a lovel...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nockster31
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Aloha. So happy that you were pleased with your cottage accommodations and the resort. Although it is a big trip from the UK I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Maui and the Royal Lahaina at some point in the future. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

This place was very nicely decorated in island motif. The halls and rooms were very nicely done. I found the staff very helpful. The coffee shop was nice for a quick breakfast.

The only thing I didn't like was $10 a night for self parking. It's not a lot of money, but you really can't get here without a car, so just add it into the price of the room. I dislike when a place nickel and dimes you after you pay for the room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYWayneman
Aloha. Thank you for the 5-star rating! Happy to read that you were pleased with the decor. When we renovated one of Hawaii's premier interior designers was consulted to help in bringing a "Sense of Place" to new rooms. On Maui it is the general practice that most hotels and resorts charge separately for parking rather than including it in the room rate. While the majority of our guests like to have a rental car, so they explore the island at their leisure, quite a few also prefer to take shuttle transfers or taxi services from the airport and simply relax at the resort for most of their vacation. Mahalo.
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We booked 5 nights in a partial ocean view room in the Tower. We got in late and were exhausted but check-in was pretty quick. Keep in mind there is a $50 a night deposit due up front. We didn't bring any credit cards so had to give cash and that was a little annoying. But the rooms are GORGEOUS. I'll post pictures below. We had a safe, mini fridge, balcony and big flat screen tv. Very new and modern, loved the bed and beautiful wood carvings. I was very impressed. We ordered room service at night and breakfast and both were really good. The grounds were so pretty and lush. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The parking lots were a little small but not that bad. They had nightly tennis matched you could watch and live music in the lobby bar. My main complaint was that they charge $25 a day for beach chairs. I really think this was why there was no one on the beach. We went to Walgreens and paid $30 for 2 chairs. We also went to Safeway and stocked up on liquor and food/snacks. Definitely sign up for the savings card when you're there.
Here are my recommendations for food:

Lahaina Grill (Whaler's Village, pretty fancy but amazing food and service!)
Kimo's Seafood (Whaler's Village. The best prime rib & lobster)
The Gazebo @ Napili Shores (Long line but so worth it)

Whaler's Village was really cool. Tons and little shops and restaurants by the water. You could spend all day walking thru there.

The pools at the resort were small and we didn't use them because I can't understand why you would lay by a pool when you are on Maui! The beach was amazing, just pure beauty. I had the opportunity to see one of the cottages and let me just say, OLD. Don't stay in a cottage. The tower rooms are so beautiful, new and modern.

Room Tip: Only book a room in the tower. Try to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DevanJ
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Aloha Devan. Thank you for the review. Glad to read that you were pleased with your stay. We do take a $50 per day authorization at check-in to allow guests to charge incidentals to their room account, however for those who prefer not to utilize this service we can dis-allow access to room charges. The resort provides complimentary chaise lounge chairs for guests which are located poolside and on our oceanfront lawns adjacent to the beach. We request that these not be taken to the beach. The on-site Beach Activity Center does offer beach chairs, umbrellas and a variety of other beach amenities available for rent or purchase. Mahalo.
Sydney
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I had booked a cottage and was really looking forward to staying in one. The seclusion, peace and quiet appealed to me. When I first arrived I was immediately offered an 'upgrade' to a tower room. I knocked it back (stupidly as it turned out). I was taken immediately to my cottage and couldn't believe how worn out, old and dated it was. It was nowhere near the beach and very close to the road. There was a safe in the room but you had to pay $3.75 per day to use it!!! Unheard of in this day and age. Everything was old and creaky. The door jamb looked like someone had tried to jimmy their way in. I am a female traveller who travels on my own. Basically I spent one night in this cottage and couldn't wait to get back to reception the next day to see if I could change to a tower room. I felt totally unsafe in the cottage. The lock was flimsy; so was the door. I didn't like it at all. Thankfully staff found me another room immediately and I packed up and moved straightaway. The tower rooms are lovely. Mine was only on the third floor, but I could still see the water. I didn't care that I didn't have a great view because I had NO VIEW at all in the cottage! The room also had a safe, but I didn't have to pay for it. What's with that? If I stayed in the cottage I had to pay for the safe, but not in the tower room??? Anyway, my only complaint was that it was quite cold during my stay and there was no blanket on the bed or in the room at all. I never use air con so I just suffered with the cold. The restaurant was lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful. The free pineapple flavoured water in the lobby was so refreshing. I did enjoy my stay and would return. I'd just highly recommend you don't stay in the cottages unless it is one right on the beach. Even then, I'd probably still prefer a tower room!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank pinkpetuniasydney
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback. I am happy that you were pleased with your tower room accommodation. As you mention the cottage rooms are an older accommodation than the tower rooms which received a complete renovation recently. We are in the beginning stages of a refurbishment project for the cottages, however this project is addressing one cottage at a time so at this time it is best for guests who are looking for more modern and deluxe accommodations to book a room in the tower. I will speak with our Front Office and contact you regarding the safe charge as you should not have been charged for the safe in the cottage. Mahalo.
Mulberry, Indiana
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Staff more than friendly. Nice room, but not a suite. Only one chair. Clean and well kept. Television service is better than expected. Multiple outlets for charging personal devices. Decor nice. Bed comfortable. Two types of pillows - feather and foam. Two pools, but they are rather small. Excellent access to the ocean. Convenience store well priced. A couple food options and pool bar. Can charge items to the room or pay cash, your choice. Safe and refrigerator in room. Good value. Would gladly come back. Nice out of the way place with quick access to city and shopping.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Craig S
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Aloha Craig. Thank you for the positive feedback and informative and concise review. Happy to read that you found us to be a good value and would return. We hope to welcome you back again. Mahalo.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort for five nights and I'm very happy with my stay. I booked the hotel through Orbitz where I got a great rent-a car package. I thought I've asked for 2 double bed room, but for some reason what they've prepared for us was a king bed room. They've exchanged the room on the spot when we checked in. They even gave us higher floor room with better view instead of the 3rd floor they originally prepared. Their card key didn't work well and I had to go back to the front desk so many times but they were very helpful each time when I asked them to fix the problem. The staff at the hotel are very friendly hand helpful.

Kaanapali trolly stops right in front of the hotel and you can take the trolly to the Whaler's Village and other near by hotels for free.

There's no gym but they have a very lovely beach path and I enjoyed running and walking there. It is a little long walk but you can walk to the Duke's through the beach path. And you know they have a great happy hours!

The beach is lovely. You can see both Lanai and Molokai and the view is epic. I think the beach is not so crowded for a popular resort area. We saw a whale from the beach.

Wi-fi is available for free in their lobby and they have refreshing spa water in the lobby. Parking spot is pretty tight and can be crowded when they have luau shows.

I would totally stay this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Hollywoodart
Aloha. Thank you for the 5-star rating. Happy to read that you were happy with your stay and would return. We hope we can welcome you back soon. Mahalo.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the week of January 13. We were very pleased,overall,with the property, and would highly recommend someone staying here. The one thing I would recommend to the hotel that would enhance the stay is to provide wifi in the room without charge. The excessive Wi-Fi rate does cause an unnecessary amount of people to be hanging out in the lobby, thus making the hotel have a bit of a cheesy appearance. Most hotels I stay at that are as expensive as this one includes Wi-Fi. Come on Royal Lahaina get with it! Other than this it is really a great place to start.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank V9474QLJohn_B
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback. Happy to read that you were very pleased with the property and would recommend it. We are currently looking into options for enhancing wifi accessibility. At this time wifi is provided complimentary in our public areas and in-room wi-fi accessibility is available for $10 per day. Mahalo.