“loved it”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Mn.
“loved it”
Reviewed April 19, 2004

We stayed in room 9034. Cost was 1947.00 which inclued buffet breakfest which was fantastic. Buffet is 12.50 a person other wise. Room was very clean beautiful view, it was an ocean front room Kai tower. Hotel is very well kept up. beautiful beach comfortable lawn chairs. Beach lit up at night. Pools clean. Towels free get at small pool. Employees were very very friendly. Parking no problem. You pay at any hotel you stay at. Very nice grounds, very well kept up. Beautiful sunsets. Drinks 5.00 at happy hour. Water pressure great, nice shower, no tub worked great. Plenty of storage for clothes, big closet, 6 dresser drawers.
Good tv. 2 big comfortable chairs to sit in. Bed small because we are use to king bed had a queen. Pools were nice and clean. They clean every morning. Waves splashing all night, we left door open a little with screen shut. Air conditioning works good. Saw lots of whales from balcony. Burgers served pollside with chips or fruit 8.75. No big sign for the hotel on hwy 30 turn left on kekka drive just past big kanopoli sign. Staff was great very freindly. You can set up any tour from hotel. We were at other hotels and we had the best beach and view.
Would stay there again.

3 Thank dustin747

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maple Valley, Washington
Reviewed April 18, 2004

I think that the bad reviews are unfair....you should have known not to expect luxury at this price! A lot of the comments are in fact true, it's not the newest or the squeaky cleanest hotel around, and it's definitely a long haul from the parking lot to the room, but again....I was on a budget! I didn't complain! They drive you in a golf cart to unload and reload your luggage, and I imagine if you call for a ride any other time they'd be right over. Everyone is super nice. Maybe we just got lucky with our particular room, but I very much enjoyed it! We stayed in a cottage that was so close to the beach we easily ran back and forth from beach to room. It’s right on the golf course too so it was nice to get up in the morning for a jog on the paved trail along the beach and through the golf course. It was our first trip to Maui and we arrived 2 days too early to check into the time share where we were staying for free with friends. Of course the nights in the time share were immeasurably nicer, but I could never have afforded that type of place on my own. We all get to enjoy the same beautiful beach whether we pay $100 or $300+ for a room. We didn't go to the luau or eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on that, I just want to say that if you are like me and just looking for a place to wash off the sand and sleep, this place is for you. We have the same situation next year and will be staying our first 2 nights at Royal Lahaina.

4 Thank CCarkeek
Reviewed April 17, 2004

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina for a week and I never wanted to leave.
Our room was on the first floor of the Hale Bldg. not the tower. Every morning I opened the door and was steps away from the ocean! I liked the oldness of the room, it felt more islandish, than staying at a Ritz. The water temp was perfect, no waves, which I loved. I don't go to the beach to swim in a pool. The first day we were put in the room over the luau, but I went to speak to the manager and he quickly moved us to the other, quieter side. One night, we came back to the room and the shower ceiling had fallen to the floor! They came immidiately and fixed it. We had a good laugh. It was a short drive to Lahaina in the evenings for dinner and to walk around. I couldn't have had a better time! And what an amazing price for the trip! Wow! I would definately want to stay in the same room next time.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2004

I read all the reviews the day before we flew to Maui. I was scared to
say the least. I tried my best to get another hotel - but at the last
moment it was not really feasible.
So there we went. We had the garden View room. they immediately upgraded us to a Ocean View room. The view from the room balcony was awesome - a really nice view of the sea- and that of the mountains. The room was clean and the bathroom decent. We stayed on the 9th floor and got to see neither ants nor cockroaches as some other reviewers did. But keep in mind we have lived in the tropics before and know that food left open outside spoils and/or attracts ants/roaches.
We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment about the food there. the pools were decent as was the beach. All in all i would say it was a good value for money.
However I can see how folks put up at the Royal Hale might be upset about stuff- we were in the main tower. Would I stay there again - well yes if I got the same/similar room.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed April 14, 2004

I read all the reviews before we went to the Royal Lahaina Resort and was slightly concerned about the accommodation there. However we were pleasantly surprised. Our booking agent had requested a sea view high floor room and we found it comfortable with lovely views over the sea, mountains and gardens. We were also pleased to be able to watch the whales passing from our balcony. We did not find the 12 dollar charge a night outrageous and thought the in room safe was the best we had ever used. Yes, the decor was a bit outdated but everything worked well and we were pleased with our room amenities. Maybe because we are British we do not expect quite as much as Americans do. For example We would have been quite happy without a television - who needs a television on holiday. We didn't have any trouble parking our car. We might have had to walk a little way to the hotel but there were always spaces. We thought the buffet was excellent - it was much better than the one at a better hotel in Hawaii (our next port of call). The staff were very helpful and everything was reasonably priced. The pool was clean and the beach was very pleasant and the gardens well tended. I think because the hotel was older it had more character and wasn't as boxy as some of the other hotels we saw. We went to Whaler's Shopping Centre one night. It was a terrible place, packed with people and full of awful hotels and terrible restaurants. Lahaina had much more atmosphere and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal at the Cool Cat Club. If you drive down Prison Road there is free parking for 3 hours. We found we didn't need to eat any lunch as the breakfast buffet was so vast. We did find it slightly odd having cakes for breakfast!!

1 Thank ceramica
Stanfield NC
Reviewed April 10, 2004

We, Please pay attention to all the other write up's We didn't and payed for it. Everything everybody has said is true. BUT If you don't care where you sleep, just a bed. This is the place for you. We checked in, opened the door and grabbed the phone book to find another place. All full They did offer to put us in a condo for another $168 per night. NOT. stay elsewhere if you can afford it

4 Thank Cavin B
Reviewed April 9, 2004

We stayed there for our honeymoon. This is a great old hotel. Very affordable for your first time in Hawaii. The pool was nothing special.
but the beach was great and the gardens were nice and the room was just as pictured. It is a great place for the money. And the rates were even better. And it is not that far from the restaurants. Actually we walked there almost every night.