“Nice Resort”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Vancouver, Washington
“Nice Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We just got back from an 8 day stay at the Royal Lahaina. We stayed in the towers and everything was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room had 2 beds. I wish they were queen beds, 2 people in a double bed is not always comfortable. We paid the $10 for self parking and never had a problem finding a spot. The views were amazing. Unfortunately the food was a little expensive, so we ate elsewhere most days. We'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a partial or full ocean view. Don't pay for the extra wi-fi in the room- go d...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth B
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Aloha Beth. Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal Lahaina. Our guest rooms are all equipped with two double beds or one king. I would recommend to all guests, that If for some reason your desired bedding type is not available at the time of check-in arrange for a room move with the Front Desk. Usually we can move you to a room with your preferred bedding type the following day. Thanks again for the positive review and we will definitely look forward to welcoming you back. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (956)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013. It was our third year staying in Maui but we usually stay at the Westin. We decided to try out this hotel as it seemed to have decent reviews and was close to the beach and Black Rock. I called a few days before to confirm our reservation, and was sent to someone's voice mail. I left a message but my call was never returned. Then, the day we were supposed to be checking in, I called again to see what time check in was and try to confirm that the reservation was alright again. The operator told me that check in was at 3 and then sent me to the front desk to confirm the reservation. After sitting on hold for 10-15 minutes, I hung up.

We arrived at the hotel at 6:30 to be informed that our room was not yet ready. At that point, I felt that it was necessary to inform the manager that the experience was less than pleasant with the hotel so far. After standing in the lobby for another 20 minutes waiting for the manager to come talk to us, we explained the situation to him. At that point, he let us know that our room was ready and that he was going to see what he could do for us and would call our room and let us know. We never heard from Lucas again. We were not looking for anything except an apology but apparently the customer service at this hotel is terrible from the people who answer the phone to the management. I definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Aloha Jessica. I would like to apologize for the communication problems that you experienced. This is not the type of service we strive to deliver and what you describe is certainly not an acceptable standard. I will reach out to you personally and hope that we might be able to regain your confidence for a future visit to Maui. Mahalo.
North Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I attempted 3x to resolve issues I had with the resort but unsuccessful.
If you are planning to stay here, make sure that your reservation is solid and note the person you talked to. You do not want to be treated like a difficult customer because that's how they treated me.
We planned this trip 11 months ago. We stayed in cottage and tower so this review is long since I note both.
There were some specifics we needed and requested but once we got there, we were told no...what could that request be you ask...a room with two beds. We had also asked to have our rooms on the same floor or as close to it and for the cottage to tower transition to be planned since we traveled with two babies.
But let me start from the beginning. If you need a floor plan of the cottages or any of their rooms, they do not have that available. I called requesting it and they thought I was very strange to ask. If you go to the As you have read in other reviews, the cottage are in need of modernization. Outdated décor does not bother me. What was disturbing were bedroom doors without doorknobs. In particular, we stayed in cottage U, two bedrooms and kitchen/living in the middle.
Our group had over 10 reservations at this hotel.
Two other people decided not to stay in the cottage and moved to the tower.
The U shaped building consisted of several rooms. They are designed so you can rent a room with a kitchen or two rooms with a kitchen. If you only get one room, the other bedroom adjacent is dead bolted so you cannot gain access. The deadbolt is the only hardware on the door. It did not have a regular door knob that would latch on the close it for privacy. This even made it difficult just to open the door since you have to grab the deadbolt. It was actually very odd. There was a door slamming. We thought at first that it was the other rooms adjacent to us but we realized that the bedroom door would slam when the AC came on. Our solution was to take a paper plate and place it at the latch location. This gave us something to grab to open the door and the paper plate was wedged to prevent the door from slamming. You want to lock your door for privacy...sorry, can't have that. Other than that, we stayed in the cottage to have the space to enjoy the weather outdoors in the lawn and have a kitchen. Not luxurious but functional just don't forget your paper plate!
The cottage was a last minute change to our original reservations in the tower. It was only available to us for 4 of our 7 day stay. The transition to the tower was planned...I plan everything. I specifically asked if we will be homeless during the transition. We were reassured that the transition would be smooth. Since check out is usually around 11 and check in is around 2, we requested to either stay in the cottage for the babies to nap or move to the tower for the babies to nap there. I called the morning of the transition to remind them of the transition. Of course, that morning, only 1 of the 3 tower rooms were available at 11 am. But even though this was discussed previously, they wanted us to move to the tower and cram all our belongings plus the two babies with their cribs in one room-6 people in one room! They treated me like a difficult customer since I said no, we are not doing it. They called two more times while the babies were sleeping and wanted us to move then.
Our original arrangement was to be on the same floor or be close to each other. This request was noted. We were scattered everywhere!
I had also asked to have our room close to my grandkids rooms so I would be close when everyone left for scuba at 3:30 am. So I could not have 2 beds and be close, I could only have one of those requests.
It might take more planning to book a group, but it is certainly more money for them. And if they cannot give you a small request, they should be upfront about it.
The tower rooms were very nice. Their beach was very nice. The valet helpers and housekeeping were very nice. There's an ice cream parlor on property and a small store for necessities. If you need help may I suggest to go to guest services first, not the front desk. They are helpful. Free WIFI in lobby but no place to sit.
I really wish this could have been a better trip. Traveling to Hawaii is never inexpensive. I spent so much time planning but that did not help me this time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PATRICIA W
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit. Sorry that we were unable to meet all of your bedding and room location requests. While these type of requests cannot always be guaranteed, we try our very best to offer our guests options and assist with all requests.
Mahalo.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from our 4 nights stay with my family. The resort's location is great, right at the north side of the Kaanapali beach. My parents had the ocean view room which actually have both golf course view and the view of the ocean when you are in the balcony. We had the ocean front and the view was gorgeous. They charge $10 for self parking and $15 for valet parking. We chose valet parking after I read the other reviews about tight parking space. You are on vacation and why stress out on finding parking space! Staffs were all friendly from check-in, valet attendants to housekeeping. We have our 5- year old with us so we usually come back to our room in the afternoon to refreshing up before heading out for dinner. Housekeeping seemed to come by around late afternoon everyday to check if we need fresh towels which is a nice touch. There is a small refrigerator in every room so it's great to keep your water, beer or juice cold. They have a coffee/ice-cream shop where you can get basic continental breakfast items like bagels and muffins. They charge $9.95 for wifi in your room but hey have free wifi at the lobby. They also have two computers for guests to use. I used that to check-in online and printed boarding passes for our return flight also. Their Luau was great. My parents and my daughter enjoyed it so much. It's $75 for hotel guest and kids are free with paying adults.

It's about 15-20 mins walk from the resort to Whaler's Village. We walked there one night and had dinner at the Hula Grill. Its safe to walk and if my 5-yrs old can do it, so can you! I'd suggest to bring a small flash light if you are planning to walk back after dinner. The section between Sheraton and the cottage area of the resort is kind of dark at night.

We really enjoyed our stay and I've already recommended it to my friends and coworkers

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank snowbunnymom
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Aloha. Thank you very much for the positive review. So happy to read how much you enjoyed your visit and appreciate all of the great advise for potential guests and the recommendations to your friends and co-workers. We hope we can welcome you and your family back to Maui soon. Mahalo.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just got home from our honeymoon here. Great location right on the beach. Not all the resorts had the great sand beach this place had. You also get a discount on their Luau. They had people at the ready to help book any activities. We stayed in the tower and was upgraded to an ocean view room. Beyond beautiful view. Food was good at restaurant. Only thing I really wished I had was a hot tub.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissyS477
Aloha Missy. Thank you for selecting the Royal Lahaina for your Honeymoon and for the kind review. Sorry, it sounds as if you may have missed it, we do actually have a hot tub on property located at our Tennis Ranch pool area. Glad to hear that you would return. Mahalo.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in the beach cottages which definitely need a refurb! Staff were very friendly, lovely laid back atmosphere throughout resort. Breakfast buffet was ordinary for $21! so we asked to just order from menu but were told we were unable to,which was disappointing. Overall it was a pleasant stay, enjoyed our few days in Maui!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Snitzeled
Aloha. Glad to read that you enjoyed the friendly and laid back atmosphere of the resort. We are doing some soft refurbishments to the cottages at this time, primarily consisting of repainting and upgrading the flooring. Our cottage units are generally rated as a moderate level accommodation, as compared to our Tower rooms which have been fully renovated and are considered a deluxe accommodation. Sorry for the confusion with the breakfast, we do have a full ala carte menu available, in addition to the buffet, so not sure why that would have occurred. I will be sure to share your review with our Restaurant Managers and Servers. Thanks for the feedback, very happy that overall you had a pleasant stay. Mahalo.
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 days in Maui. Our friends had recommened the Royal Lahaina after staying there several years ago. We were so happy with their recommendation and had an amazing time. The "partial ocean view" room had a beautiful view of the beach and the mountains. We loved the nightly entertainment at the restaurant provided by Josh. The beach was absolutely stunning! If you choose to stay here, make sure you go to Old Lahaina for a day. We ate at Ma'la, right outside of town. The food was great and the view of the sunset was gorgeous.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an ocean view hotel. We had a "partial view" which still had a bea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine708
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Aloha Christine! So glad that you and your husband took your friends advice and had an amazing time at the Royal Lahaina. We appreciate the positive review and compliments. I will be sure to let Josh know how much you enjoyed hearing him perform. Mahalo!