“I've never had better service”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I've never had better service”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I travel a lot both for work and for pleasure. I have stayed everywhere from hostels while travelling in college to now frequently on cruises and in 4 and 5 star resorts both in the US and Europe. And I just had to write a review for this hotel. If you have stayed at high end resorts, this Maui resort will seem sparse in terms of amenities and services. There is no on-site spa or organized activities. This hotel is known for its big luau on site. It is very convenient to be on site, but brings a large ground to the parking lot most nights. There is no kids’ camp or big water park - just 2 relatively small rectangular pools. If you are in Maui just for the beach with very calm surf - then this hotel will be just right for you.

We stayed here because my sister-in-law was getting married here. This would not have been my location for a wedding with 10 guests, six of which were kids. Food is not included - so for the expense of long air travel and a week of buying all our food out, this would not have been my choice. There was a small refrigerator and coffee maker in our room. That allowed us to buy a few small things to get for breakfast or lunch. Just make sure that everything you bring in is sealed up in Ziploc bags or in the fridge. In this tropical climate, fruit and other items left out will bring in bugs.

However, the staff at the Royal Lahaina Resort made our vacation great. Every time we needed anything, we called the front desk and in 10 minutes - NO EXAGERATION - they would not only bring us what we asked for but 3 times what we asked for and more. We called for simple things like extra towels, more shampoo, coffee mugs, etc. But for a large resort, I have never in my life had faster service. We foolishly brought a box of Krispy Kreme donuts to our room and woke the next morning with a great surprise of many ants in our room. Again, 10 minutes after we called for help, the exterminator was there and the bugs were gone!

The grounds are kept immaculate. Every morning we would see a crew of gardeners climbing the palm trees and trimming the branches. The plant life and animals on the grounds were beautiful.

The wedding ceremony was beautiful, too. The minister is in full Hawaiian regalia and even blows a conch shell and does part of the ceremony in Hawaiian. What a unique way to be married right in the good old USA!

Bottom line - for a basic services hotel in a prime location with beautiful grounds and great service - you can't go wrong with the Royal Lahaina Resort.

Room Tip: spa and fitness center not bad - just don't exist. We stayed in the top floor of the hotel it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent visit. So happy to read that we were able to exceed your expectations with regard to the service you received. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (996)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I surprised my mom and took her to Maui last month. We stayed here and loved it! I have been to Maui before but never stayed in this area. The only reason I booked this hotel was based on reviews and I'm glad I did. We would definitely come back here... It was unforgettable.

LOCATION: Prime spot right on the beach! I couldn't have stayed at a resort in that area that had a more beautiful beach area. You can also walk down to Black Rock or snorkel right in front of the resort. It is close to Black Rock, Maui Brewing Company, Front Street, etc.

ROOMS: We stayed in the tower with a ocean view. The room I originally booked was for the Garden View Room but the lady who checked us in gave us a good deal on the room so we couldn't pass it up. The rooms are very clean and I have no complaints about it at all.

FOOD: We ate at the restaurant there and loved it! Monday and Wednesday are 50% bottles of wine and appetizers I believe so we ate here both of those nights. They had a person playing the ukulele and dancing to it... It was perfect especially with the beautiful sunset. We did have one horrible waiter on our last night there... Didn't re-fill or drinks, check on us at all, etc. No need to go on but I did talk to the supervisor and they fixed the situation right away so thank you very much for that.

POOL: Decent size right in between the restaurant and the beach. It was nice but I didn't like the fact that it was so close to the restaurant, people could watch me lay out and swim... It was weird.

PARKING: We didn't have any problems parking. First day you get there valet is included after that it is not and there is a charge per day. There is plenty of parking but if you want it closer to your room you'll have to end your night a littler earlier.

STAFF: Great! Minus the one guy at the restaurant. Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

TOURS: We booked the Luau (which was okay, I've seen better) through the lady in the lobby. It is $75 each through her... DO NOT book it anywhere else, you will be paying more. If you're staying here you get a discount. We booked a snorkel tour through the lady in the Expedia office located right outside the lobby. They're great in there!

SUGGESTIONS:
- Rent a car. Yes they charge for parking but the hotel isn't close to some of the tours and plus you can explore the island all you want.
- Go to the grocery store but snacks and drinks. The rooms have a fridge... In the end it will save you time and money
- Get an ocean view room. Sunsets are unbelievable plus when are you going to be in Maui again?
- Bookit.com is where I booked the room and I got a great deal. If you call them directly it is very pricey.
- Don't stay put... Leave the resort area, Maui is beautiful! EXPLORE.

Overall my mom and me had an awesome trip! She enjoyed the resort a lot so it made the surprise trip complete.

Room Tip: Just get an ocean view... You won't regret it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank NEEK90
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Mahalo for the 5-Star review. So glad to hear that you and your mother enjoyed the Royal Lahaina and had an awesome trip. We would like to advise that our resort offers a Best Rate Guarantee and that you will not find lower pricing for our resort than we offer through our Reservations Office and hotel website. Aloha!
Reviewed June 23, 2013

After reading some of the reviews for this location, I was a little worried about what I may run into. I'm pleased to say that the location was terrific, my room was spectacular, and the people were super helpful. There were several times throughout my stay that I had questions and they were always answered promptly and in great detail. The front desk staff think nothing of grabbing a map and high-lighting the best routes for trips and really making sure you are comfortable with their directions. They offered serveral trip options that were not affiliated with the hotel and really gave me a great experience.

I booked an ocean view room in the tower and was incredibly pleased with my view of the ocean, the mountains, and the grounds of the hotel. The panoramic was absolutely breath taking. I had no problem with noise from the bar or noise from the wind while in my room. I will say that as soon as I stepped into the hallway it sounded like a wind tunnel. The only downside was housekeeping started their day earlier than i would have liked. Hearing vacuuming outside your room door at 8:30 in the morning was a little much for a vaction.

While the breakfast was decent, I thought that while in Hawaii the fruit would be a little more ripe, especially the pineapple. The Mandarin oranges and pears were defintely canned and I expected more. You can't beat the eating area; it overlooks the pool as well as the ocean and it's quite lovely. You really can't beat the location of this hotel. I enjoyed the luau while I was there and the fruit they had there was much better.

I enjoyed myself at the Royal Lahaina and would definitely stay there again and suggest it to others.

Room Tip: Choose a room located on the higher floors for a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FlyGal86
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Mahalo for the positive review. So happy that you enjoyed our location and your overall experience at the resort. Sorry about the vacuuming, our Housekeepers have a pretty short window from 8am to 3pm to clean all of the hotel's rooms while guests are out and prior to new guest check-ins. Thank you for recommending us to others, we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. Aloha!
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Overall we had a great stay. They upgraded us to a nicer room when they heard it was our honeymoon (in the towers) and the service and staff were always very friendly. The price was very good for how nice the place was- we were surprised and impressed.
The only real gripe was that it is not really an easy walk to the main black rock beach (for snorkeling)- due to having to walk off the beach and around quite a but to get there. However, the resort beach was very nice as well.
The location was otherwise great- everything outside of Hana is an easy drive away.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Hurlow8
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Mahalo for the positive feedback on your Honeymoon stay. Glad to read that you had a great stay, were pleased with the service and staff, and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Aloha!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in! At check in I was upgraded to a suite on the 6th floor and the view was to die for. Very clean room, comfy bed, 2 lanais, gorgeous bathroom, and such sweet cleaning ladies who left us flowers on the bed each day. The restaurant below was delicious and it was very easy to rent snorkel gear for the day. We walked over to black rock and it was some of the best snorkeling ever. We had no issues with finding parking what so ever and I will hopefully be returning one day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D0608
Aloha! Thank you for the great review. Glad that you found your stay with us to be amazing and we also hope that you can make it back for a return visit! Mahalo.
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We came to maui for our anniversary and scheduled all our activities with expedia. Expedia has a office onsite. The rooms and views were gorgeous. The staff was superb. We will definitely return. I can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Melsy2007
Mahalo for the great review. So happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and the service you received. We will look forward to welcoming you back! Aloha.
west mids
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in may we found the hotel a bit out of the way but we hired a car so we could get about . We stayed in the cottage style rooms which were very spacious but the air con very noisy. .. we we're all eaten alive by the mozzies as the cottages surrounded by trees & shrubs but overall very good rooms we found the queues 4 the restaurant very long so we ate out most evenings but had a problem parking if a lau show was on

• Stayed May 2013
Aloha! Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Happy to read that you were pleased with our beautiful location. Sorry to read about the mozzies (a new word for me) you experienced, usually the trade winds and drier conditions of West Maui keep mosquitoes away. Mahalo.