“Even better the 2nd time!”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina once again. Our experience was excellent the 1st time so we had no trouble deciding where to stay when travelling to Maui for our 2nd and hopefully not our last trip.

My husband and I stayed there from Sept 23-Oct 6, 2012. We booked our entire trip through Expedia. After a LONG day of flying and at least 24 hours with no sleep, we arrived at the RL. The partial ocean view room in the tower where they placed us was no where near as wonderful as the 1st time. My husband went to the hotel desk and reported that we really weren't satisfied. Giovonni was more than happy to try to change that situation. He spoke to the manager on our behalf and they placed us in the Lanai Suite. It was beyond our expectations!

The Lanai Suite is aptly named. It has 3 lanais. The suite had 2 rooms with beds - 1 was a sofa bed the other a luxurious king size. There are 2 showers and one of the bathrooms had not only a shower, but a soaking tub as well. 2 beautiful vanities in the large bath and a nice walk in closet. The room was excellent - beautifully decorated as well. We did have to pay a minimal upgrade fee per night but upon seeing this suite it was no problem. They had other choices for us as well, but this most likely was the "best room in the house" and a bargain too good to pass up. Did I mention it is ocean front?

The staff at the Royal Lahaina were as accomodating as they were on our first visit. The housekeeping staff were always extremely pleasant and did a wonderful job each day. Each time we passed a staff member we were greeted with a smiling face and an "Aloha."

I honestly cannot think of one negative thing to say about either stay at the Royal Lahaina. I only hope we are able to visit again one day. If I could pick at one issue it would probably be the parking spaces in the lot are tiny and are very scarce especially if you arrive when people are attending the luau. But other than that - our dream vacation was heavenly. We were so pleased with our room we hung around the resort and the nice beach for a great deal of our trip instead of sightseeing. We did sightsee a fair amount but relaxing was the goal of this trip and we certainly did that.

The part of Kaanapali beach in front of the Royal Lahaina is never crowded, another plus! It is also very clean. The staff around the pool area were very kind and went out of their way to please us. The only name I can remember is Austin. He was a pleasure as were the others working outside.

I know I am leaving out many more complimentary details. But as I said it was a relaxing and very pleasant experience. The "Old Hawaii" feel of the decor in the lobby is beautiful and inviting.

Do not be apprehensive about booking a room at the Royal Lahaina. You will love it. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Lanai Suite. We can't afford it as a rule but the staff took a chance on perhaps no other requests for it during our stay.

Thank you Royal Lahaina for a memorable 2nd visit! Beautiful memories.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KYLamplady
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Aloha & Mahalo for your wonderful review! We are happy to see you enjoyed everything Maui has to offer. Whale season is coming soon and the Lanai Suites is the perfect location to sit on the lanai with a nice glass of wine and enjoy the view of the whales passing by. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,173)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I picked the Royal Lahaina for our 20th Anniversary. We didn't want to stay in one of those mega-resorts, so we took the word of several reviews we read on Trip Advisor and booked here for a more traditional Hawaiian feel. I'm so glad we did! The beach was beautiful, the rooms in the tower lovely and though it said partial ocean view, we had a full ocean view from our porch. We also had the pool to ourselves most mornings. The Royal Lahaina is a very relaxing place to stay. The staff in the patio restaurant were delightful as was the live music and the torch lighting ceremony. We also found the valet parking attendants very helpful. The only reason I didn't give the resort a five star rating was the fact that the front desk staff was very indifferent, almost off-putting. This said, I would still highly recommend staying here if you want a lower key vacation.

Room Tip: Stay higher up in the tower and ask for partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Aloha, we appreciate your recent review. We take pride in our customer service and making our guests feel like part of our Ohana. Please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to watch for upcoming specials in 2013.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The lush, tropical landscape was our first clue that we were about to enter paradise. From our initial greeting to our final checkout, this is an exceptional hotel. We had an ocean view room in the tower and it was perfect. Beautiful furniture, great bed, great shower - very comfortable. We never closed the sliding doors and had the most fantastic view of the ocean and Molakai, and the sounds of waves crashing. Talk about relaxing and getting a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was very nutritious and high quality with lots of fresh, ripe fruit - we ate there every morning. The restaurant menu was very good, but we ate there only once as there are so many spectacular restaurants in the area. The pools and lounging areas are comfortable and inviting, and the beach is just steps away.

While in Maui, we visited several other hotels - scouting for our next vacation. But we liked the Royal Lahaina the best. It had everything we wanted and needed. It is large, but felt very intimate and inviting and it was the most Hawaiian. We will definately stay here again.

One final tip. Buy a few bottles of wine or other beverage of choice and keep them in your room. The lanai is so great that you will want to spend time just relaxing and enjoying the view and ocean sounds. Hanging out in my hotel room is not something I do, but it is something you will want to do here.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower if you want a view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Mahalo for chosing the Royal Lahaina Resort for your most recent vaction. We love the suggestion of the wine in your room for the sunset experience you will have almost every night. Our sunsets are gorgeous!. The Royal Trading Company on our property has fabulous variety of wines to choose from. We are a hidden "Gem" in Kaanapali and we take pride in our rooms and person customer service we are able to provide to make you feel like part of our ohana.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a great ocean view from our 12th floor room. This hotel is located among many other hotels in Kaanapali. A beautiful beach minus the crowds in Waikiki. You can take a free trolley to other hotels or to Whaler's Village for shopping. From Whaler's Village, you can catch a bus into Lahaina for more shopping and dining. The rooms here have lots of wood - shutters across the balcony doors and around the bathroom area. The king size bed was very comfortable. There is a shop just across the lobby that carries liquor, snacks, as well as souvenirs. A few locals sell their crafts in the lobby area. This hotel hosts a large luau for 500 people! Good entertainers, lots of food, and an open bar! We enjoyed happy hours in the restaurant that opens out to one of the pools and the ocean, and features nightly singers and hula dancers. Terrific sunsets!

2  Thank ontothenext

Aloha & Mahalo for your kind review. Please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to watch for upcoming specials in 2013.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I believe the title says it, but I will say more. We booked the cottages for a quaint garden experience. We arrived early, they said the room was not ready. No problem, we went on a tour of the island. When we cam back we settled in to the room that had not been ready yet and the found in the sheets many giant termites in the corners of the sheets and pillows. The sheets were eaten in some of the corners. If the room was not ready this would not have been possible. The room was ready, they were just trying to upgrade us to the newly remolded portion of the hotel/resort. So they moved us no charge now to the nicer part. We wanted to stay in the cottages, no bugs. I asked what they were going to do about it and her response was well we moved you to the "tower" oh wow. Uh, our view now consisted of no garden, no ocean, but a rooftop with some old grey satellites. I was still mad and questioning the giant termites and she said to me "well it is and island" . That is crap! I live in the woods and I do not have giant termites on my sheets!

So after moving to the "tower" That same night a giant roach appeared in the bathroom.

I then asked to speak to the manager. He also used the excuse "it is an island" again, I live in the woods and do not have roaches in my house.

They did not seem to care or want to compensate us in any way. Oh he did give us free parking. Ten dollars a day 4 days total.

I took pictures of the giant termites if you want to see them.

Over all this hotel was money and tip hungry, not friendly for us.

Breakfast service was also slow and food was mediocre.

We ate there for dinner one time the wings and garlic parmesan fries were very good, but service was slow.

Leo the bellman was the only friendly face for us.

6  Thank ggs1970
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The garden cottages are very old the bathrooms are appalling,we were on our honeymoon we informed Meryl on the front desk upon arrival she could care less and the service that followed was extremely poor. We regret changing our reservation from the sheraton, we also had a hell of a time getting our deposit refunded back to our visa debit card.My advice dont stay here, Maui was lovely this resort was not.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne A
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Aloha & Mahalo for your feedback. We are sorry your vacation was not what you expected. We are sorry you did not enjoy the cottage location although we are the only resort with cottages, they are very popular and most guest do enjoy the modern Hawaiian feel they cottages portray. We are currently in the process of doing a soft renovation of the cottages, so we hope you will try to stay with us again and see the beautification as it will progress throughout the next few months. We do apologize for the lack of empathy for your disatisfaction at the front desk. We do pride ourself in our customer service as guest satifaction is our #1 priority. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel direct and ask for the Director of Rooms, so she can personally oversee your reservation. We assure you, you will be pleased. Mahalo

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Royal Lahaina Ocean Inn is conveniently located next door to one of my
favorite breakfast spots -the Castaway Restaurant at the Maui Kaanapali
Villas so that was a nice surprise. Another unexpected surprise was that I
basically got free admission to the Royal Lahaina Luau which was held right
below the room and was on from 6- 730 pm each night. The pounding drums,
the clapping hands with the music, quite the show. So if you book a room
here plan on being OUT of your room during that hour and half.

The rooms are dated and I believe the Royal Lahaina is updating them and the
sooner the better. The chairs in my room were badly stained by coffee, the
bathroom shower ceiling sagged which made me nervous, and the bathroom
toilet light was missing its fixture so it was just a bare bulb there.

I would have requested another room but this was already my third room they
showed me (the first the AC did not work in the unit, the second turned out
to be occupied so I could not use that one, and so I accepted the third so
that I could start enjoying my stay in Maui.

But the price is right for the unit and if you are in need of a short stay
for a night or two before moving into a nicer unit at the Royal Lahaina or
elsewhere in Kaanapali it works!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the Luau but faces the Castaway Cafe!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JoeMoreno
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Aloha thank you for bringing the room items to our attention. Yes we are planning soft renovations to the rooms in our Kaanapali Ocean Inn. We will look at the items you have mentioned and fix them for the next arriving guest. Our luau is 6 days a week and it's a great feeling of the Polynisian feel of our Hawaiian culture. Lots of guest actually grab some take out from our restaurant and enjoy, like you said , "watch the show for free". Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and we hope you visit us again soon! Mahalo again for staying with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!