“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Fresno, California
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The lush, tropical landscape was our first clue that we were about to enter paradise. From our initial greeting to our final checkout, this is an exceptional hotel. We had an ocean view room in the tower and it was perfect. Beautiful furniture, great bed, great shower - very comfortable. We never closed the sliding doors and had the most fantastic view of the ocean and Molakai, and the sounds of waves crashing. Talk about relaxing and getting a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was very nutritious and high quality with lots of fresh, ripe fruit - we ate there every morning. The restaurant menu was very good, but we ate there only once as there are so many spectacular restaurants in the area. The pools and lounging areas are comfortable and inviting, and the beach is just steps away.

While in Maui, we visited several other hotels - scouting for our next vacation. But we liked the Royal Lahaina the best. It had everything we wanted and needed. It is large, but felt very intimate and inviting and it was the most Hawaiian. We will definately stay here again.

One final tip. Buy a few bottles of wine or other beverage of choice and keep them in your room. The lanai is so great that you will want to spend time just relaxing and enjoying the view and ocean sounds. Hanging out in my hotel room is not something I do, but it is something you will want to do here.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower if you want a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Mahalo for chosing the Royal Lahaina Resort for your most recent vaction. We love the suggestion of the wine in your room for the sunset experience you will have almost every night. Our sunsets are gorgeous!. The Royal Trading Company on our property has fabulous variety of wines to choose from. We are a hidden "Gem" in Kaanapali and we take pride in our rooms and person customer service we are able to provide to make you feel like part of our ohana.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a great ocean view from our 12th floor room. This hotel is located among many other hotels in Kaanapali. A beautiful beach minus the crowds in Waikiki. You can take a free trolley to other hotels or to Whaler's Village for shopping. From Whaler's Village, you can catch a bus into Lahaina for more shopping and dining. The rooms here have lots of wood - shutters across the balcony doors and around the bathroom area. The king size bed was very comfortable. There is a shop just across the lobby that carries liquor, snacks, as well as souvenirs. A few locals sell their crafts in the lobby area. This hotel hosts a large luau for 500 people! Good entertainers, lots of food, and an open bar! We enjoyed happy hours in the restaurant that opens out to one of the pools and the ocean, and features nightly singers and hula dancers. Terrific sunsets!

2 Thank ontothenext
Aloha & Mahalo for your kind review. Please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to watch for upcoming specials in 2013.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I believe the title says it, but I will say more. We booked the cottages for a quaint garden experience. We arrived early, they said the room was not ready. No problem, we went on a tour of the island. When we cam back we settled in to the room that had not been ready yet and the found in the sheets many giant termites in the corners of the sheets and pillows. The sheets were eaten in some of the corners. If the room was not ready this would not have been possible. The room was ready, they were just trying to upgrade us to the newly remolded portion of the hotel/resort. So they moved us no charge now to the nicer part. We wanted to stay in the cottages, no bugs. I asked what they were going to do about it and her response was well we moved you to the "tower" oh wow. Uh, our view now consisted of no garden, no ocean, but a rooftop with some old grey satellites. I was still mad and questioning the giant termites and she said to me "well it is and island" . That is crap! I live in the woods and I do not have giant termites on my sheets!

So after moving to the "tower" That same night a giant roach appeared in the bathroom.

I then asked to speak to the manager. He also used the excuse "it is an island" again, I live in the woods and do not have roaches in my house.

They did not seem to care or want to compensate us in any way. Oh he did give us free parking. Ten dollars a day 4 days total.

I took pictures of the giant termites if you want to see them.

Over all this hotel was money and tip hungry, not friendly for us.

Breakfast service was also slow and food was mediocre.

We ate there for dinner one time the wings and garlic parmesan fries were very good, but service was slow.

Leo the bellman was the only friendly face for us.

6 Thank ggs1970
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The garden cottages are very old the bathrooms are appalling,we were on our honeymoon we informed Meryl on the front desk upon arrival she could care less and the service that followed was extremely poor. We regret changing our reservation from the sheraton, we also had a hell of a time getting our deposit refunded back to our visa debit card.My advice dont stay here, Maui was lovely this resort was not.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leanne A
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Aloha & Mahalo for your feedback. We are sorry your vacation was not what you expected. We are sorry you did not enjoy the cottage location although we are the only resort with cottages, they are very popular and most guest do enjoy the modern Hawaiian feel they cottages portray. We are currently in the process of doing a soft renovation of the cottages, so we hope you will try to stay with us again and see the beautification as it will progress throughout the next few months. We do apologize for the lack of empathy for your disatisfaction at the front desk. We do pride ourself in our customer service as guest satifaction is our #1 priority. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel direct and ask for the Director of Rooms, so she can personally oversee your reservation. We assure you, you will be pleased. Mahalo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Royal Lahaina Ocean Inn is conveniently located next door to one of my
favorite breakfast spots -the Castaway Restaurant at the Maui Kaanapali
Villas so that was a nice surprise. Another unexpected surprise was that I
basically got free admission to the Royal Lahaina Luau which was held right
below the room and was on from 6- 730 pm each night. The pounding drums,
the clapping hands with the music, quite the show. So if you book a room
here plan on being OUT of your room during that hour and half.

The rooms are dated and I believe the Royal Lahaina is updating them and the
sooner the better. The chairs in my room were badly stained by coffee, the
bathroom shower ceiling sagged which made me nervous, and the bathroom
toilet light was missing its fixture so it was just a bare bulb there.

I would have requested another room but this was already my third room they
showed me (the first the AC did not work in the unit, the second turned out
to be occupied so I could not use that one, and so I accepted the third so
that I could start enjoying my stay in Maui.

But the price is right for the unit and if you are in need of a short stay
for a night or two before moving into a nicer unit at the Royal Lahaina or
elsewhere in Kaanapali it works!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the Luau but faces the Castaway Cafe!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank JoeMoreno
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Aloha thank you for bringing the room items to our attention. Yes we are planning soft renovations to the rooms in our Kaanapali Ocean Inn. We will look at the items you have mentioned and fix them for the next arriving guest. Our luau is 6 days a week and it's a great feeling of the Polynisian feel of our Hawaiian culture. Lots of guest actually grab some take out from our restaurant and enjoy, like you said , "watch the show for free". Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and we hope you visit us again soon! Mahalo again for staying with us.
kihei
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were clean and modern. Pool was small. Central location. Service was great minus the sunset bar experience. The doors to the room had no sound proofing so you could hear everything. Beds were comfortable. Take a walk along beach walk.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank kiheimaui
Mahalo for staying with us! We re always happy to see or local Kamaina staying at our beautiful resort. Please like us on Facebook watch for great upcoming deals! Hope you come back for the Halloween festivities on Front Street.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Don't waste your money! I purchased a partial ocean view room because I wanted to see the ocean from my room without having to pay for a Ocean Front view. Little did I know that the Royal Lahaina definition of Ocean View is that you can see the ocean from your balcony. From no spot in my room could I see any water. I litterally had to go out on the balcony to see the water. This is not what I paid extra for. The hotel is rectangular and does NOT sit 90 degrees from the beach front but sits on an angle about 110 degrees. This design and placement gives half the hotel an Ocean view and the other half a "Parial Ocean View" FROM YOUR BALCONY ONLY. When I complained they said that this is their definition of a parcial ocean view. When I disagreed they couldn't care less. We had also requested a King Bed and booking 6 months in advance I thought that we would get it. Upon arrival they brought us to a room with two double beds. I complained, and they did move us to another room with a partial ocean view and a King bed. btw all the notifications from my travel agent of our anniversary went unacknowledged. Seems the hotel talks the talk but doesn't delivery. The hotel was clean and the rooms were very nice.

Room Tip: Do not pay for an ocean view room without knowing that your ocean view is only from the balcony and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple