“poor service and poor outdated accommodation”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The garden cottages are very old the bathrooms are appalling,we were on our honeymoon we informed Meryl on the front desk upon arrival she could care less and the service that followed was extremely poor. We regret changing our reservation from the sheraton, we also had a hell of a time getting our deposit refunded back to our visa debit card.My advice dont stay here, Maui was lovely this resort was not.

2  Thank Leanne A
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Aloha & Mahalo for your feedback. We are sorry your vacation was not what you expected. We are sorry you did not enjoy the cottage location although we are the only resort with cottages, they are very popular and most guest do enjoy the modern Hawaiian feel they cottages portray. We are currently in the process of doing a soft renovation of the cottages, so we hope you will try to stay with us again and see the beautification as it will progress throughout the next few months. We do apologize for the lack of empathy for your disatisfaction at the front desk. We do pride ourself in our customer service as guest satifaction is our #1 priority. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel direct and ask for the Director of Rooms, so she can personally oversee your reservation. We assure you, you will be pleased. Mahalo

Write a ReviewReviews (4,173)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Royal Lahaina Ocean Inn is conveniently located next door to one of my
favorite breakfast spots -the Castaway Restaurant at the Maui Kaanapali
Villas so that was a nice surprise. Another unexpected surprise was that I
basically got free admission to the Royal Lahaina Luau which was held right
below the room and was on from 6- 730 pm each night. The pounding drums,
the clapping hands with the music, quite the show. So if you book a room
here plan on being OUT of your room during that hour and half.

The rooms are dated and I believe the Royal Lahaina is updating them and the
sooner the better. The chairs in my room were badly stained by coffee, the
bathroom shower ceiling sagged which made me nervous, and the bathroom
toilet light was missing its fixture so it was just a bare bulb there.

I would have requested another room but this was already my third room they
showed me (the first the AC did not work in the unit, the second turned out
to be occupied so I could not use that one, and so I accepted the third so
that I could start enjoying my stay in Maui.

But the price is right for the unit and if you are in need of a short stay
for a night or two before moving into a nicer unit at the Royal Lahaina or
elsewhere in Kaanapali it works!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the Luau but faces the Castaway Cafe!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JoeMoreno
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Aloha thank you for bringing the room items to our attention. Yes we are planning soft renovations to the rooms in our Kaanapali Ocean Inn. We will look at the items you have mentioned and fix them for the next arriving guest. Our luau is 6 days a week and it's a great feeling of the Polynisian feel of our Hawaiian culture. Lots of guest actually grab some take out from our restaurant and enjoy, like you said , "watch the show for free". Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and we hope you visit us again soon! Mahalo again for staying with us.

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were clean and modern. Pool was small. Central location. Service was great minus the sunset bar experience. The doors to the room had no sound proofing so you could hear everything. Beds were comfortable. Take a walk along beach walk.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank kiheimaui

Mahalo for staying with us! We re always happy to see or local Kamaina staying at our beautiful resort. Please like us on Facebook watch for great upcoming deals! Hope you come back for the Halloween festivities on Front Street.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Don't waste your money! I purchased a partial ocean view room because I wanted to see the ocean from my room without having to pay for a Ocean Front view. Little did I know that the Royal Lahaina definition of Ocean View is that you can see the ocean from your balcony. From no spot in my room could I see any water. I litterally had to go out on the balcony to see the water. This is not what I paid extra for. The hotel is rectangular and does NOT sit 90 degrees from the beach front but sits on an angle about 110 degrees. This design and placement gives half the hotel an Ocean view and the other half a "Parial Ocean View" FROM YOUR BALCONY ONLY. When I complained they said that this is their definition of a parcial ocean view. When I disagreed they couldn't care less. We had also requested a King Bed and booking 6 months in advance I thought that we would get it. Upon arrival they brought us to a room with two double beds. I complained, and they did move us to another room with a partial ocean view and a King bed. btw all the notifications from my travel agent of our anniversary went unacknowledged. Seems the hotel talks the talk but doesn't delivery. The hotel was clean and the rooms were very nice.

Room Tip: Do not pay for an ocean view room without knowing that your ocean view is only from the balcony and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

After some research, my fiancé decided she would like to choose the Royal Lahaina as the site for our wedding and honeymoon. After booking the ceremony and honeymoon, I decided to take a look at Tripadvisor’s reviews. To say I was nervous was an understatement. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was questioning as to whether we had made the right decision. I can honestly say I could not have been further off. From the moment we set foot on the resort, until the moment we left everything was fabulous. Let’s start off with the staff: Everyone we had contact with was always courteous and attentive to our needs. A special shout out to Jen our wedding coordinator who handled everything for us via email and phone and got everything perfect. We stayed in and ocean front tower room. It was a beautiful view. We slept with our door open every night and were lulled to sleep with the sounds of the waves on the beach. The rooms were clean and always smelled nice. I did not see any of the bugs that some people complain about. The only reason I did not give the rooms an excellent review was due to the size of the vanity and bathroom. Both too small for my taste. Would have liked a dual sink vanity. Bed was large and comfortable. My kids stayed in an ocean view room and still had a wonderful view. The restaurant was good and the buffet was standard and could have used a few more choices and variety. Was very good the first couple of days, and then got a little monotonous. The grounds were the best in the area. The amount of colorful plants far exceeded any of the other resorts we toured in the area. The grounds were very well maintained. Some reviews complained of the pool being cold, I cannot comment on this because I never went in the pool. We have a pool at home to swim in; I went to Hawaii to enjoy the ocean. Some of the most beautiful beach in the world is just steps away. I could not figure why any would want to swim in the pool, but to each his own. The beach is very close to the resort and the water temperature was perfect. The Luau was great. We attended the first night we were there. The food was good and they are not shy with the drinks. We had 17 in our group and everyone left “feelin’ good”. The parking is comparable for the resort and area. A few nights we were out and came back during the Luau and had to park in the back lot. We always found a spot and the walk is not that far. Our wedding was everything we dreamed. We could not have painted a better view from our altar. The ceremony was at 5:30 as the sun set between Molokai and Lanai. We are already planning our return visit.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Tower Room
7  Thank Mark W

Mahalo for you great review on Trip Advisor. Our beautiful Island has so much to offer and it's always nice to see when guests decide to have one of the most important days of their lives with us on the Magic Island of Maui & the Royal Lahaina Resort. We are happy to hear your friends and family had a great time at our luau! Please like us on Facebook and watch for great specials. We look forward to seeing you on your 1 year anniversary! We never say goodbye, it's until we meet again......Aloha

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel. Everything was clean and updated. The rooms were comfortable and were a good size. The balconies were big enough for two to comfortably sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating. The breakfast every morning was very good and the seating area had breath taking views no matter where you sat. The local Luau that is held here is a must, and if you stay at this hotel they sit you in an area reserved for their guests. The only thing I would recommend is that they have some type of spa area. I would've loved to have the option of getting a massage on the beach.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying the extra money and getting an ocean view or partial ocean view. The views...
4  Thank Kristi M
YvetteK2780, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Mahalo for your positive review! We pride ourself in customer service and our warm aloha spirit. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The resort was great for us... We stayed in a cottage room but upgraded to the 2 bedroom cottage, great move, it gave us a little more space.. Room was very clean and in a great location. We only stayed for a short period but wished we had longer.. Highly recommend!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ToddTina61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!