“The grounds of the RLR has the feel of old Hawaii!”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Very much enjoyed my stay at the RLR. The resort, one of the 1st built in the early 60's along the Kaanapali Beach has a lot of mature trees and landscaping, and a large beach side lawn full of lounge chairs. Along with the low rise cottages give the grounds and hotel a "garden paradise" vibe that the other big tower hotels lack. Had an Ocean view double on the 6th flr. Room was above bar & restaurant, which close around 9 or 10 pm. Once closed room was very quiet and all you could hear was the ocean on the beach. Very nice and the best view from any room ever for me. Room was nicely appointed and clean, though the carpet could use a cleaning or replacement. Being a beachfront hotel I'm sure it takes more abuse than usual. Towels changed twice a day. Hotel restaurant and bar, was nice but nothing special and only ate breakfast and lunch a few times. Tried the spam musabi platter appetizer though and it was very tasty. Hope they keep it on the menu. The $20 breakfast buffet was good with lots of fresh tropical fruit. More food than I usually need for breakfast though. Watch out for the birds on the pool side patio though. They will steal your food if you walk away from your plate!! We did make use of the 2-6 happy hour. The bartenders at the Barefoot bar by the pool and beach made very good Mai Tai's. At $6 we'd usually have a couple a day and take them out on the sand. The restaurant bar features a guitar player and a cute hula dancer nightly, and if the Luau is running that night you may get some special dancers at sunset. The staff was very friendly and courteous. The Luau was very entertaining although the food was rather mediocre. Stick to the Kalua pig. Was the tastiest thing I had. The poi is for you to try so you can speak with authority on how awful poi is. Also should ad that the snorkeling was good around Black Rock, just a short walk South down the beach from the RLR. Only complaint is the jacuzzi is on the far side of the parking lot in the tennis complex and very hard to find. If at night once you find it you may wish you hadn't since it's isolated and unlit, which for some maybe perfect. Given the price point, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cutter27

Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

This place has pros and cons. Lets start with the pros...I like that the beach area is not over populated and a great spot to snorkle is right by black rock. All kinds of marine life! And in the evening you may see a couple sea turtles. They seem to feed at that time. Very cool to be 6ft away!! But you need to snorkle by the rocks, that is where everything is at.
Loved the fish taco appetizer, dinner was good here, however the breakfast buffet wasn't anything fancy. $20 per head is ridiculous.
comfy bed, I slept pretty good for the most part. Our partial ocean view was perfect. Depends where your room is though I guess, ours was in the middle. Most of the people working here were very nice. Housekeeping did wonderful with stocking us with towels and tidying up our room. Dry cleaned my wedding dress here and they had it done in a timely matter.

You will notice they will charge you for everything.
Don't do laundry here, they charge for every piece of clothing. And they do it, which i find odd. Luckily we brought plenty of clothes so we didnt have to worry about laundry.
The doors are thin, you can hear anyone talking walking down the hall
We were here in maui to get married and they didnt really acknowledge it.
There is bits of mildew or mold growing in the shower. It wasnt very clean when we got here, small hairs here and there. No microwaves. I dont even know they they have kitchenettes. No table. The vents have a bit of dust bunnies
Overall, I would stay someplace else. I wasn' t that impressed.

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank apreston84
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The location of the Royal Lahaina is great, just up the beach from black rock, we took our snorkeling gear and off we went. That was wonderful. We rented a car and we enjoyed that because we were able to tour the entire island. There is quite alot to see and do in Maui! We did enjoy the bar and live music in the evenings at the hotel.

Room Tip: It was worth the extra money for oceanfront.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Texaslady52
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Lahaina for our honeymoon in May 2012. They upgraded our room as we were honeymooners and provided us with chocloates and champagne as well, which made us feel so special.

The hotel itself is located 45 minutes drive away from Maui airport which makes a transfer quite pricy, but Lahaina is such a lovely place that it is well worth basing yourself here.

Our room was lovely, with a great view over the golf course and a partial ocean view.

Breakfast buffet was extensive and all you can eat, you could argue that at around 20 dollars per person it is a bit expensive but you can eat enough to last you until evening so there is no need to pay for snacks elsewhere.

The hotel bar.restuarant is friendly and we had a meal there as well and were very pleased with it. The selection of drinks was excellent and not too expensive. Although i accept it is a cultural thing in Maui, we were disappointed that the bar closed so early at around 10:00pm as we would have liked to spend longer there.

The hotel had attentive, friendly staff, and the in house tour operator were friendly and informative. I would defintiely recommend this hotel to others as it has a beach right next to the hotel , the weather is lovely and the atmosphere serene.

Room Tip: i would tend to try and opt for a room in the main tower as the rooms are better, also ask if they h...
8  Thank nicholas j
Reviewed May 20, 2012

If yoy are plan to go to Hawai, you must know, at least, two island. That was what we did. From Vancouver to Honolulu, Waikiki and then in a small plane (9 people) from Honolulu to Maui.
We spend 3 days at Royal Lahaina Resort. We had a reservation with ocean view, but when we arrived there, a very nice lady gave us an upgrade with a really nice complete ocean view. It made our stay unforgetable! Nice room and very clean...

Room Tip: We stay at room number 1117, great view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marlene V
Reviewed May 19, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Royal Lahaina for 8 days at the end of April/early May, ending up there more or less using a process of elimination, but it worked out great! First of all we were on a budget, neither of us likes to drive, and we wanted nice sandy beaches with excellent walk-to snorkeling. Plus nice food and a good bar scene. Well, the Royal Lahaina met all our needs! It's located about 50 meters up the beach from Black Rock - SUPER snokeling, with sea turtles yet. When the currents are calm you can actually get in on our side and swim around to the Rock and see many many gorgeous fishies, and continue on to the beach in front of the Sheraton (quite posh). Or, take the path between the golf course/beach and pop out by the Sheraton's tennis court, and cut through to the beach. There seemed to be a lot of people snorkeling up the beach from us as well, just literally off the shore, but we didn't get a chance to check that area out. Next time! So - easy access snorkeling - CHECK.
The Royal Lahaina has a breakfast buffet and dinner options but we actually never ate there, except light lunches or appetizers during the generous (2pm to 6pm) daily happy hour. But the plus side was you could sit out there and enjoy a view of the ocean, sunset, and live music in the evenings. A lot of the more fancy places down past the Sheraton only have indoor-ish bars set way back so you miss that. The food was OK at the Lahaina, pretty unremarkable but fish tacos worth trying. The Sharaton's beach bar has really good mahimahi and teriyaki beef skewers, that was a frequent stop for us. Walk a little farther down the path from the Sheraton passing a couple hotels, you end up at Whaler's Village. Yes, there is a free shuttle from the Lahaina to the Village, but it runs by their own admission sort of loosely. Because of the way it has to wend through the service roads to stop at all the hotels, it's much faster and prettier to walk along the beach path in front of the hotels. More direct for sure. Anyhow, Whaler's Village has a number of shops for amusement as well as restaurants. If you continue walking past the Village and pass to the more fancy hotels, they have decent dining, (I reviewed Westin's Tropica elsewhere, as well as Hula Grill's fun happy hour). Now, if you are wanting to explore Lahaina town - simply take the $1 bus from whaler's Village to the Cannery Mall, shopping district, or wharf, takes about 20 minutes. A cab is about $15 if you stay after buses stop running. Royal Lahaina close to bars, shops, restaurants? - CHECK!
More about the hotel itself to wrap this up. Beach was simply lovely right in front of the hotel. Golden sand, coarse with occasional surf-rounded bits of coral but absolutely a barefoot pleasure. Clear clear water, soft swells - not rough while we were there anyway. It is Ka'anapali Beach, after all. I should point out that you are not permitted to take hotel lounge chairs on the beach, although you can rent (or bring) umbrellas, or I suppose buy a cheap chair at Safeway. If you choose to use a lounge chair, either by the pool or on the lawn, your view of the ocean will be obscured by the hedge. Plan your sunning experience accordingly. Pools are simple rectangles. Personally, I only swam in the ocean and when I felt like viewing it, took my towel to the sand or enjoyed the lanai. So I was totally happy.
The room was clean, simply furnished, and we had an "Aloha special" ocean view. So halfway down the north side of the building (8016). It is better to get higher floors as you get a better view of course, they have 12 floors. Saw spinner dolphins go by! Flat screen TV, the usual Hawaiian lack of internet access (available for $9.95/day, but expected to be spotty, so we never tried it). There is a coffee/sandwich/bagel/ice cream shop downstairs. Another shop sells quite the selection of wines and sundries. The tap water is weird - probably because of desalination which is common on the islands - so if you wish to make tea or coffee using the room set up, I beg you, get bottled water. The Royal Lahaina did not charge one of those "resort fees" on top of the nightly rate - these can add $30 per night at the more expensive places! If you have a car to park, that's the usual $10 per night, but that's it. Oh - there were kids about, I think...I only seemed to see them by the other pool. I wouldn't say it was an "adult" resort, but it almost felt that way. I am sure they had a great time and all and are welcome, but the place was not overrun by them if you know what I mean. I was there for some romance and to get away from my own delightful brood, so I was pleased that I could enjoy my time there in peace. I was told that they no longer offer free room upgrades upon arrival (as of April 1, 2012) but they offered half-price upgrades. If that's of any use to anyone reading this. There were free morning fitness classes though no gym area. Here's a fun detail - every day they change out the mats in the elevators - "Monday - beach and snorkeling", "Wednesday - Golf and shopping", "Tuesday - Luau night" and so on - it was helpful as I was in such a vacation daze I had little idea what day of the week it was when I got up. I thought it was kinda cute.
If you enjoy extravagant pampering, luxurious surroundings, world-class pools and dining, and hob-nobbing with the Rolls Royce crowd, well - this isn't the hotel for you. If you want a reasonably priced, pleasant, clean place on a beautiful beach with decent amenities itself and close to great food, shops, and bar scenes - you should definitely check out the Royal Lahaina.

15  Thank Eva N
Reviewed May 18, 2012

First time to Maui and could not have had a better time. The resort staff were all very helpful. Our room was very nice, it appeared to be recently remodeled. The beach near the resort is almost private and very quite. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank 2outandabout
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!