“Paradise on the budget”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
San Francisco, California, United States
“Paradise on the budget”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at Royal Lahaina with family to celebrate parents 30th anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Stayed in the towers and was very happy with the classy Hawaiian style rooms. We did a Costco package, so the deal was by far better than anything you can find on the island.

Things to love:
Best Hotel Beach - Right by Black Rock - Best snorkeling on the island
Cleanliness - Everything was immaculate with cleaning services working all hours of the day
Breakfast buffet - Part of package, so we got this for free, but one of the better breakfast buffets I've ever had.
Bar staff mixes best Mai Tai's I've ever had
Updated tower rooms- 4 star quality, at 1-2 star price
Location - Kind of secluded from other hotels on Kaanapali with Golf Course and Black Rock separating from other hotels. Also allows for best beach I saw in the area

All in all I really loved this place and felt couldn't beat the prices. I feel there are a couple things that could be updated. I didn't have first hand experience in the cottages but heard they need to be updated, and the pool area definitely need to be updated. However, since I spent all my time in the ocean and stayed in the tower, these didn't effect me at all. I just got back 3 days ago, and I'm already starting to plan a follow up trip with the family next year!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Sean W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort in March with my husband and all of our closest friends and family. We had our wedding on the resort and it was perfect! The staff is so nice, the rooms are heavenly, and this resort has the best spot on the beach. We were worried that we would be dissapointed with not going with a more expensive hotel for our big day, but it didn't dissapoint! We even walked through the Sheraton while we were walking along the beach and we hated it in comparison to the Royal Lahaina. Everyone at the romance center was great! Our wedding was perfect and our pictures are stunning. They planned every tiny detail with us and it made it zero stress for my husband and I. The restaurants on the property were great and a decent price too. Never did the buffet but ordered a lot of room service and it was quick, delicious, and reasonably priced. The luau at the hotel was great! We did a group booking with all of our guests. We treated it like a bit of a rehersal dinner affair. Everyone had a blast! We can't wait to go back. We have done a lot of travelling. Been to Fiji, Mexico, Dominican Republic...and nothing compares to Maui and the Royal Lahaina.
The younger crowd in our wedding party thought it wasn't a party enough atmosphere for them, but I loved how low key it was. Can't say enough good things!

Room Tip: We had a partial ocean view room for part of our stay and an ocean view for the second part of our s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Carrie0310
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was our first time to Hawaii, and wow this resort had it all.
We travelled April 12th -18th We had a great partial view of the ocean and the sunsets were awesome to watch from our room. We had the Costco package and it did not disappoint. The package included everything you would need for a fun vacation. (rental car, ocean view room, $200 room credit, Luau, Sunset Cruise, Buffet breakfast daily, and free parking)
The Luau and Sunset cruise were awesome everyone was great.
Both were entertaining and was able to see several whales enjoying the water from the Cruise.
The room was clean and loved the Vanialla Macadamia nut ice cream from the Royal Scoop.
Great time and have already recommened to friends and family.
The only drawback was when we checked in the reception was unfriendly and the only way we did get the great room was our bell man called to ask for a different room for us.
It was a great, great time and the grounds and beach were heaven.
The location is right on the beach and a short walk to Whalers Village. The Hula Grill was excellent.

Would defintely book here again. This was unforgettable!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trrue
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Kaanapali is a great resort area except that hotels located in its main section are fairly expensive. For this last trip, I was looking for something as close to Kaanapali as possible while staying within my budget. I found out that the Kaanapali Trolley stops at this resort and for a $1 tip to the driver, you can arrive at Whaler's Village or the Hyatt in a couple minutes. I found out the walk over to the beachwalk, either via the beach or through the paved walkway took only about 5 minutes as well, so it was the best of both worlds. In return for being a few feet from the main section of Kaanapali, you get fancy hardware on the room fixtures, a robe to wear, beautiful carvings on the doors, distinctive coconut lime toiletries and less crowds.
My room was ocean view, which while not oceanfront, offered a great view of both the beach, hillside and golf course.

The staff was much warmer and friendlier than in Waikiki and the ambience homey and relaxing. Enjoyed renting a cabana here, which was only $15 for a half day, unlike my Waikiki hotel, which wanted $60 for any portion of the day!
Not to be missed is the excellent Basil Tomato Italian Grill, located on the property.
Would I return? You bet. The packages including a car on the hotel web site offered the best value anywhere. The cottages looked pleasant if I want to spend even less on a future trip.

Room Tip: If you wanted to splurge, some cottages have an upstairs ocean view suite, and while not cheap, look...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank California-ite
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We got one of the bungalo cottages and stayed 5 nights in Maui, using it as our hub for our tours etc. I have to admit , at first entrance I thought the place would be better for the price I paid. The shower area was dated with the "Tiled rectangular pool" styled tub and the water drained slowly. Plumbing fittings were old and Water in shower would alternate very hot to very cold. All windows were horizontal jalousies, wobbly bed frames, dusty window type aircon filters, and thin walls where you can hear next door's conversations. And you had to pay for most of other stuff which normally come free with other hotels- use of safe $4 per day, $10 parking per night, charge for wifi usage, no complimentary water, a fee to use cocoon styled lounge chairs by the pool, fee for local calls.
But after a day, I found out it was the best decision I made. We managed to master how to properly work the showers. We need not use the bedroom windows, as we kept them open to see the wonderful garden outside, and let the sunshine in. Would only turn air-conditioning on at night when we needed to retire. And once we met the neighbors, we enjoyed each others company.
The place is simply WONDERFUL. The hotel is historical and has been here for some time, the cottaged being the original rented rooms. (explains the old fittings). But they had re furbished it to look modern, and it is what you see at their web site. The rooms in the building came later and are more modern. But as I talked with the room service attendant, she personally likes the cottages better. I concur. The cottages sits on a huge manicured garden, with huge banyan trees, colorful flowers, birds and other animals roaming. You have a walk-out patio at the back where you can have coffee, chill, or just to dry clothes after the day of swimming. The beach is a short walk away, depending on your cottage location. Note that the higher the letter, the further away from the beach the cottage. Ex. A,B,C would be closer to the beach and pool. U, V,W would be further away from the beach but closer to the main lobby of the hotel, and closer to the parking lots.
The pool was of good size and was enough for all,clean, surrounded by lounge chairs, sitting on a wonderful garden. But the main feature of the hotel was their BEACH! It was a wide span of sand to both directions, almost exclusive to Royal Lahaina Guests. And if you sit at the right time during sunset or sunrise (beautiful sunset by the way), you could see whales breaching, some dolphins playing. Sadly, I was unlucky and missed any mammals jumping out of the water, but my wife and kids, and few of our friend saw whales and dolphins. CRYSTAL clear blue waters. We walked to the other hotels (Sheraton, Outrigger) around and their beaches were narrow and filled with people (pretty much like Waikiki beach), as they were adjacent to each other. Royal Lahaina sits on a big estate, and is adjacent to a golf course, so the beach is practically OURS. And because of this setting, it is a favorite wedding reception spot. There were weddings everyday we were there, but since the property is big, you hardly are bothered by these activities. SERVICE IS EXCELLENT BY THE WAY! One more tip, you can use a couple of computer terminals with internet access at the Business Center beside the lobby. You can request for a local phone call too.
LOVED IT ! If we do return to Maui, definitely will stay here again

Room Tip: When choosing cottages: Letters A,B,C would be closer to the beach and pool. U, V,W would be further...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TRavelBug232323
chicago
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Just stayed 1 night at the Royal Lahaina resort and I have to I was pleasantly surprised. The check -in and check -out process is very easy with very nice people to deal with it. The rooms are nice and spacious. The room I had was an ocean view and it really did have a nice ocean view. Sometime you get to your room and your view is very little of the ocean. The pool area was nice but I will say the guy that works in the area were you gt your towels is a little rude and a true sales person. He will try sell you the best and lowest price suntan lotion around. Yeah right. I actually saw a couple walk away from buying a site seeing tour because the guy was to pushy.The restaurant was an average hotel restaurant with hotel prices. The food was pretty good though. The hotel does have a little store that has decent price snack items.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nikki721
Fullerton
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 4/18 thru 4/22. Upgraded to a suite beachfront corner 8th floor.
Had a great time. Hotel was all we could have wanted. Beautiful, clean room. Comfy bed but most important everyone we came into contact with treated us graciously. The location is heavenly, The beach walk makes getting a little exercise enjoyable. The employees did a great job and greeted us every time our paths crossed . Housekeeping kept our room clean and always had a smile and a aloha for us. The parking stalls are tight and really who cares, Rental companys problem. Thanks Royal Lahaina for a great anniversary trip, We would
definately come back here and feel it was a good value for our money

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple