“Great hotel, fabulous location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel, fabulous location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I spent four nights at this hotel and enjoyed every moment. Our room was perfect. It overlooked the golf course and had views to the ocean and the decor was lovely. In my view the hotel offers the best location on Kaanapali Beach. It is an easy walk to the vibrant Whalers Village where we ate on three occasions. The resorts around the Whalers Village are much bigger than the Royal Lahaina so the area looks very overdeveloped. The Royal Lahaina is more secluded having the golf course on one side and several acres to the other before the next resort begins. The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful so we spent a lot of time there enjoying the water and watching the whales. The buffet breakfast was included in our room rate but was very ordinary. That is my only criticism of this fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank CatherineM1962

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

The hotel is located on Kaanapali Beach and it is about 3 miles north of Lahaina where you can find whatever you need. The parking is a downside with the parking spots about 2 feet wider than a car and cost $10 per day or $16 per day with two free Mai Tais from the bar. The rooms were comfortable and the staff was friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant as there were many other nearby restaurants we wanted to try. The luau at the hotel is great! If you pay the extra $15 per person, you get in about an hour earlier than the rest and get a seat by the stage.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter. The A/C units are on the third floor roof on the s...
1 Thank 1Averageman
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The two stars are for the last time I visited . . . just over a year ago. We liked the place a lot. Nice decor, free upgrade. We loved the pool and the beach. And even though there's no spa, we could walk to the one in the strip mall nearby. I actually, we liked the local coffee shop there, too. So, based on last year's visit, this place earned four stars.

But that was then, and this is now. This is a story of a screwed up reservation. Now, I won't blame that completely on the Royal Lahaina. In fact, my guess is they deserve only a fraction of the blame. Here's the deal. I used my accumulated points from my credit card to book three nights. I called the night before my flight and the morning of my flight. Both time the person at the hotel front desk said, "the agent hasn't sent the reservation yet. But if you have a piece of paper that says you have a room, we will find you one." Should I worry, "absolutely not. We'll find you a room." I did have the printed reservation receipt, and I had several assurances from the credit card travel advisor that the booking would be sent over.

Well, it wasn't. Now, that's bad, but that's not what upset me. When I got to the hotel, the lady at the gate had called to someone from the front desk. She met me outside the lobby with a guard at her side. Really? Your message is, "Don't even step foot in the lobby?" She said se had been looked into the situation since I called in the morning. A third party (hotel beds.com) had booked me at a resort in Makena, nearly an hour away. There's nothing she would do. What about, "I'll find you a room?" Nope. Don't even come in. Where's the aloha.

So maybe it was the fault of hotel beds.com. Frankly, I suspect the hotel bumped me because there was a HUGE conference in town. But, again, it's not about that. It's about how I was treated.

I asked about the resort where I was rebooked. She said disparagingly, "The beach is nothing like this. It's way over by the Aquarium. I don't know anything about that area. I don't think it's nearly as nice as this." Well, Makena isn't by the aquarium. It's far from there. If she spent any time on the island, she would know that. So she was being dishonest. And, it turned out, the Makena Beach Resort was fantastic . . . great beach and pool . . . wonderful brunch daily, great views, super friendly staff a great fitness room, and a fantastic spa service. So why bad mouth it?

Couldn't she have said, "I know you must be disappointed. But I called ahead to the Makena Resort. Here's what I found out. I think you'll really like it." Would that have been so hard?

Or . . . "I know I promised you a room. I spoke out of turn. I sincerely apologize, Here's a coupon for a drink or coffee or a coconut (or something). Next time you come here, we'll give you a fantastic upgrade. We value your business. We feel really really badly."

So this bad review is not for the messed up reservation, it's for the bad attitude and for trying to make the customer feel he did something wrong.

The good news . . . The Makena Beach Resort is really wonderful.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Mike95128
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Aloha. Thank you for the review. We regret that you were unable to enjoy another visit here at the Royal Lahaina Resort due to issues with your room reservations, and we are truly sorry to have left the impression that we did not want you here. The reason we notified the gate attendant to call our Reservations manager when you arrived, was because she felt badly about having to advise you that your reservations were held at a different resort, and she asked our bell/valet attendant standing next to her, to please hold off on helping you unload all of your luggage and park your car, since we did not have any available rooms. She was informed by our reservations office that the 3rd party who booked your room had changed it to another resort, and she did call the resort to confirm your reservations there before you arrived. We are sorry this was not the information given to you when you called our operator, and we would like to apologize for giving you the wrong information about the location of the Resort in Makena. Unfortunately we were completely sold out, however there was no conference being held at the resort during your visit. Again, we sincerely apologize, but we are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation over at the Makena Beach Resort. Our team will be in contact with you to further express our regret and see if there is anything we can assist you with. Mahalo nui.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have stayed here twice now. I went once with my mom, and a friend the second time.

You can't beat the location, right on a secluded part of Kaanapali beach. When staying here I would highly recommend you book the Kai tower, its worth the upgrade amount. The cottages are in need of some renovations, but the Kai tower is amazing!

I have stayed at the Westin in Maui as well and would pick the Royal Lahaina over the Westin any day. Royal Lahaina has the Hawaiian feel to it, it really portrays what Hawaii is supposed to be.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank missalicia001
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Mahalo for the review! We’re glad you enjoyed the Royal Lahaina again for the second time. Yes, the cottage rooms have not undergone the multi-million dollar renovation like our rooms in the Lahaina Kai Tower have, but they are clean, comfortable, and a great value. We hope to see you again for another truly Hawaiian vacation. Aloha.
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I did not book this hotel ourselves. Our Hawaii-based travel agent booked it for us as part of our Hawaiian honeymoon package. So honestly we didn't know what to expect beyond a beachfront resort on Maui. Royal Lahaina surpassed all of our expectations! From our partial oceanview room, to the coconut scented shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash to the LOCATION to the mai tais at the resort bar/restaurant. We spent our first night in Maui on a lounge chair watching the sunset over the ocean...it was truly magical!

The ONLY negative I can say about this resort is that the pool is just a rectangle. Nothing pretty, nothing fun. Just a rectangle. But the view beyond the rectangle pool, the lush green grounds and the location far outweigh the un-imaginative pool.

I would definitely recommend this resort to a friend/family member.

Keep in mind that despite Lahaina being in the name of the resort, it is not in "downtown" Lahaina (where many of the tourist attractions/shops/restaurants are). So you will need a rental car (and pay to park in Lahaina, which can be expensive) or take the free resort shuttle bus to Whaler's Village and pay $1 for public transportation to downtown Lahaina.

This didn't bother us in the least, but it is definitely something to keep in mind!

PS - the pillows sucked, which is why I didn't rate the sleep quality very high

2 Thank Kimba115
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Let me start this review by saying ignore any negative reviews of this resort. I have no idea what they are talking about, because the Royal Lahaina Resort is just amazing! Everyone I encountered at the hotel as well, enjoyed their stay.

As soon as you drive into the resort you are greeted by extremely friendly staff and welcomed to the hotel warmly. Bell hops were readily available to help you with your luggage and watch over it as you checked in. The front desk staff were attentive, friendly and very helpful. The only issue we ran into was when we booked with the hotel, we had requested two double beds but received one king sized bed. They did quickly apologize and did the best they could to fix the issue. We would have had to wait a day to change rooms, so we decided to just stay with the room we had.

When we arrived to our room, I was very happy with what we got. The room was stunning and had amazing Hawaiin detail put into it. One thing I must comment on is how comfortable the bed was!! I instantly fell asleep! We had an ocean front view room and was so happy we decided to go with it. View was incredible! We not only had a spectacular view of the ocean but got to see a lot of the cottages and pools. Bathroom is simple but very nice, and the rooms are very very clean! I will though warn some of you about the ocean front rooms in the main tower. If you like your peace in the evening, or like to sleep early, do request an ocean front room higher up. We were located on the third floor and every evening heard the music from the live singer in the restaurant. Personally, I loved it but some may not.

The resort was spotless, you always saw staff cleaning daily and all day! Maid service was 10/10! Our maids were timely and even came to prepare our bed in the evening for us and gave us fresh clean towels for the night. One thing that amazed me as well, was how honest the maids were. My aunt wanted to tip our maids (not necessary, optional). By accident she pulled out a higher bill amount then she wanted and the maid was quick to say that it was too much and she couldn't take that amount of money. It really impressed me!

Both pools were great, not huge but not tiny either. One pool is located infront of the restaurant in the main tower and the other just steps away infront of the beach. My aunt and myself prefered the pool by the beach because it had the best sunlight, as the other pool had sun blocked for a portion of the day by the main tower. The staff at the beach activity center are great and always friendly. You can either use the free lounge chairs or for $30 a day you can rent a cabana. We rented a cabana because they were higher (my aunt has a bad knee and can not sit too low) and it also provided great shade for when it got too hot.

Beach. What can I say?! It was gorgeous! Kanapali beach is one of the top beaches and now I know why. I didn't get to swim too often because the waters were rough, but it was just stunning. Standing from the beach and even the pool area you could spot the whales as well. Whale watching was just amazing and is a must do if you are there during the time they migrate to the area.

The restaurant in the main tower exceeded my expectations and I enjoyed it very much! Never got a bad meal there and the prices are very reasonable for the portion sizes. There is also a decent selection of food to choose from for breakfast and dinner. We didn't do it every day, but the breakfast buffet is very well worth the price! Lots of selection to chose from. For lunch/dinner my recommendation is either the Kahuna salad or steak sandwich. Both delicious!! We never ate the Basil Tomatoes restaurant as we never heard great things about it from others on the resort. We heard that either the food was luke warm or not worth the price. Personally I can't review it as we never ate there, so if you want to try it, they have half price on food between 5 and 6 pm! The Royal Scoop is great if you want just a small simple breakfast or a light sandwich for lunch, and of course sweet treats! Really enjoyed the ice cream from there and amazing bagels!

As far as activities go, my aunt and I did the tour of Maui which included going up to Hana, the Luau and seeing a theatrical show in Lahaina called Ulalena. All were well worth the price!! We didn't book with the acitivity place in the front lobby. I found them to be very rude and not helpful. We booked with the Expedia Activity place located near the Royal Scoop just outside the lobby. They were so helpful and found great activities for your comfort level. Go see Julie, she's awesome! A must see is the Luau! Even if you have been to one before, this one was just spectacular! Food was great, drinks was open bar and show was entertaining! Maui trip was so fun and we went to see beauitful areas of the island! Ulalena, a must see! It shows you the history of the Hawaiin people in a beautiful mannor. But definitely check out the Expedia center for things to do and great prices.

Over all, I loved the resort! From amazing staff, great vendors in the lobby and just the details in decor, you can not go wrong! I probably could keep writing but then this would be a very long review! No, it's not a hilton or sheraton, but it has the spirit of Hawaii and just a beautiful atmosphere! Will definitely return to the Royal Lahaina!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms higher up are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Miss_SunShine89
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We had a cottage across from the ocean and a short walk to the Barefoot Bar and pool. These cottages are older but that is the charm of them. They have the best windows that let in the nice balmy breezes, lai nei with table and chairs, the maids do a fantastic job with clean towels and lotions, the bed is turned down when you leave for the evening, we had flowers on the sheets one night. They got a nice tip during our stay. Like I say they are old but CHARMING! The hotel is beautiful and have crafters come in during the week. The Royal Trading Company which is like a general store has some of the best prices around. Smiles everywhere. We loved it. They are very expensive. We ended up paying $360 per night.

Room Tip: They have several cottage, some have more than one bedroom but we only needed the one so I can't...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JKing428
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
5.0 of 5 stars 331 reviews
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!