“fantantic resort”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I was trying to book a resort for our honeymoon but i found that a lot of other resorts like the Sheraton where so expensive. So i decided to go with Royal Lahaina resort. I was unsure what it was going to be like as it was a lot cheaper compared to the other 'fancy' resorts. But i was so impressed when we got there. The drive to the resort is so pretty with all the landscaped golf courses. The resort was very well presented, the rooms were fantasic and modern with a Hawian feel. We had an ocean front room but it was to close to the bar. So we down graded to partial ocen veiw to move away from the pool area. But the view was even better! We had views of the mountains, the ocean and other islands. The bar staff were excellent, they really made our stay as they were so friendly. The beach was really nice and it wasnt a long walk to other beaches or resorts. the location was excellent. It was a short drive to other cafes or shops but you also were not surrounded by a lot of people unlike the Sheraton. It was just so relaxing and i would love to go back there one day.

Room Tip: Dont bother paying for the ocean front, partial veiw is excellent, it costs lest and a lot of people...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HayleyMcGuinness
Write a ReviewReviews (4,174)

Reviewed November 29, 2011

As the title of this review implies, the Royal Lahaina Resort is a good option for those looking for a clean, comfortable room that's located on one of Maui's best beaches. Kaanapali beach is truly stunning and among the best we encountered on our trip. In fact, our only regret was that we did not spend more time enjoying it. And the view from our 9th floor partial-ocean view room (room number 9009) only further enhanced our appreciation of the hotel's location. However, the hotel itself fell short of my expectations, perhaps due to its 'resort' tag.

The rooms in the Royal Lahaina's tower are very nice. Complete with a balcony, comfortable bed, lots of space, and an updated decor, patrons are virtually assured of a relaxed stay. The flat panel television (but only a few HD channels), mini-fridge, and available safe were also very nice amenities. My only gripe comes with the bathroom, which only included a shower. While we were aware of this prior to arriving, I found it a bit odd that a tub would not be included. That said, the shower was very nicely tiled, but a bit small. Cramped may be too harsh a word to describe it, but it was far from spacious. Was it enough to get clean and not hit every wall along the way? Yes.

Parking was one of the more disappointing aspects of the hotel. The self-parking lots near the entrance fill up very quickly, which forced us to park quite a way from the hotel entrance in what seemed to be 'spill over' lots. And with luaus occurring sporadically at the hotel, the parking situation only worsens during these times. I frequently felt as though I was back in college 'hovering' for a spot to open up. And though it's no secret that you're going to pay to park virtually anywhere in Hawaii, the fact that I was paying for a spot that was quite a distance away was frustrating.

Given the lack of a tub in the guest rooms, I expected that a hot tub/jacuzzi would be a popular place for tub lovers to congregate. And, in truth, it probably would have been had it not been hidden away on the property. Rather than being located near the hotel's two main pools as one would expect, the jacuzzi is actually located near the self-parking area. After much searching, I realized that you had to go to the upper floor of the Tennis Ranch clubhouse to access it. To be sure, this was far from intuitive and a serious hindrance to those looking for it. The jacuzzi itself (once I finally found it) seemed suited for about 4 people, which seemed a bit small given the size of the property. Unfortunately the meandering path to jacuzzi kept us from wanting to use it despite our genuine interest in hopping in.

On a more positive note, we found the Activities desk, as well as the majority of the hotel staff, to be quite helpful. Grabbing a couple of towels for the day (you can take them off property, which is nice) and renting snorkel gear was a snap. The Activities desk had solid recommendations for snorkel sites and weren't sticklers on the times the gear had to be returned. I am particularly grateful for this latter point as we spent the majority of our days off site and would not have been able to return our gear by their 5:00 pm closing time without meaningfully changing our plans.

For those looking for a relaxed bar experience, the Royal Lahaina has a great one. Live local music mixed with the sounds of the waves rolling onto Kaanapali beach in the background made for an idyllic setting. The food was mostly standard bar fare that was better than average. Drinks were reasonably priced (for Hawaii) and generally very good. Were I a local resident, I would definitely consider stopping by the bar on a regular basis.

As I said at the outset, the Royal Lahaina Resort is a solid option for anyone wanting to stay in a comfortable room at a terrific location. However, if you're looking for a resort experience that includes easy access to everything on the property, spa services, loungers on the beach, and a steady stream of drinks served poolside, this is probably not the place for you. The Sheraton at Black Rock (which is a short walk from the Royal Lahaina) would be a better option for those looking for these types of amenities. But all in all, we enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitations in choosing it again given the competitive room rate.

2  Thank jhmorris2001
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Ok, we were invited to my husband's friend's wedding. He was asked to be his "best man."
When told it would be in Maui, our first thought was, too expensive, two kids in college, we don't have the money. But, this is a very good friend of my husbands so we certainly didn't want to miss it. It was very close to our 25th anniversary so we thought we would celebrate that as well since I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. We were completely thrilled with everything about the Royal Lahaina Resort. We originally booked the Romance package for our anniversary which included an ocean view room. The room was more than adequate but I really wanted an ocean front room so we asked shortly after check-in if one was available. They said one would be available the next day so it did cost an additional $40 a day. We were more than happy to pay the difference and it was worth it!!! To wake up to the view and the ocean waves was incredible! We were definitely on a budget and I was a bit leery of some of the reviews but was so very happy with the whole resort. You need to be OK with a small pool, no spa treatments, and a very relaxing atmosphere. The nightly music was amazing! We could hear it from our room which was an awesome aphrodisiac! We were looking for something quiet and laid back and we got it!!! Would definitely go back! The daily breakfast buffet was consistent and great, the Luau , and the sunset cruise was well worth it!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on upper levels are ideal!!!
1  Thank sharidunlap
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had the second half of my honeymoon at the Royal Lahaina after spending several days in Waikiki. We had a lovely experience here. The staff was gracious, our ocean view room was updated and had an amazing view, and the location was perfect. You can easily walk to all of the other resorts in the Kaanapali Beach area from here which is extremely convenient!

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Resort was nice. We purchased the romance package. The food was average and when we went to check out, as well as one of our friends, the bills were incorrect. I loved the beach and the location however. The staff was friendly overall as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I was very pleased with my stay at Royal Lahaina. We arrived very late to resort but were able to make us feel very welcomed by a very friendly front desk assistance, Lovely. I stayed for 10 nights in beautiful clean rooms, with an excellent semi-ocean view room. If there was ever an issue with housekeeping, Cora assured that the issue was addressed promptly. Our shower seemed to leak onto the floor, but they always made sure there were extra towels. My family were staying the cabins and it was nice to have a larger living space. My husband and I preferred staying at our own resort, on the beach eating a picnic underneath the shade a large tree or umbrella, or by the pool in a cabana, or renting snorkel gear and swimming with sea turtles just North of the resort by the coral reef. The activities guy, Casey, was extremely helpful, and made the trip that much better with surfing lessions and awesome sunglasses (Maui Jims), Paraside for newlyweds. My package also included the Luau (which was incredible!) and a sunset cruise (perfect!). The location was great: walking distance from Whaler's Village and Ka'anapali, easy driving distance to the rest of La'Haina. I loved the nightly entertainment at the restaurant and the private hottub. I cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We just returned from Maui and had a marvelous time at this hotel. The grounds are immaculate and the staff were very kind. We stayed in one of the oceanfront cottage suites are although they have not been renovated like the tower rooms, they were very comfortable and clean- perfect for a family with young children who can run around the lawns directly in front of the rooms. AND you can't beat the amazing ocean views. You are literally steps from an incredible beach, where we found some of the best snorkeling just down the beach from the hotel.

We had some friends visit us from their resort in Kihei, and they were so impressed that they are considering staying here during their next visit. Our stay was memorable and a great introduction to Maui. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Great review, thank you very much! Glad to hear you enjoyed the amazing ocean views, and beautiful grounds here at the Royal Lahaina. Mahalo!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!