“Excellent Honeymoon”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We were deciding between the various hotels in Maui for our honeymoon and settled upon the Royal Lahaina. Our friends had offered us a timeshare at a different hotel for the same price, but we purchased the Romance Package at the Royal which turned out to be well worth the visit. The hotel was a 15 minute walk from the Whalers Village which is fine, since we're in Hawaii.

We spent a few nights in Oahu at a more high end hotel (Marriott Resort) and to be honest, I enjoyed our stay at the Royal Lahaina much much better. The restaurant at the Royal is good, the ambiance is nice, and we enjoyed the rooms. I enjoyed the roll-away wooden doors that block the windows at night. All in all if you're having a tough decision I would definitely recommend this hotel. Most of people's negatives I read in here I did not experience. The bed and sleep was fantastic, and I highly recommend getting the Romance Package if you're honeymooning. It was an extra charge but included the buffet breakfast each morning, a sunset catamaran cruise, and tickets to their luau, which I guess is considered one of the best on the island.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,147)

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This place was great. We stayed in a cottage which needs remodelling. The showers were OK and the bed was not great. But the resort and the cottage blended with the gardens and beach that made this the best place to stay. We also stayed in Westin, and this was more Hawaiian and more private.

The sunset and sunrise from the beach was great. Their restaurant has hula dance every night which you can watch from the pool. I believe their Luau is great since it attracts good crowd.

The housekeeping staff are very friendly. The front desk people are OK. They have a small convenience store and generally the people around are nice.

I would definitely recommend this place. It has nothing fancy, just the way Maui resort should be.

2  Thank SuPeru07
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We really like the traditional feel of the hotel as soon as we walked in. The pineapple water when you walk in was quite refreshing. The Royal has their own beach that was never crowded. The room had an awesome view of the ocean and we heard the waves crashing all the time. No tub in room, but glass door shower. Yummy shampoo/lotion/soaps. Close but not too close to other main hotels. Walking distance to whalers (shopping, food etc) and quick drive to fun downtown Lahaina.

Pros: Quiet, secluded beach. Traditional open bar luau. Decent restaurant with live music and hula.

Cons: flat pillows, no bathtub, weak and distant hot tub.

Reccommend book package deal with AATPA. All inclusive= awesome honeymoon!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Warfs
Reviewed October 22, 2011

i wasn't welcomed at all to this resort.the check in agent didn't even try to at least crack a fake smile.she demanded a credit card and i.d. and told me to read the back of the towel rental card or i would be charged a fee.felt like i was being "booked in", not checked in. we were early arriving so were told to go walk around and try back in 2 hours as our room was not ready.very surly.sat in the lobby and watched the bus load of people arrive about an hour later and all receive their rooms right away.hmm.i had booked this directly with the hotel 6 months previously. the site said to inquire about a free upgrade upon arrival.haha.i tried this when i went to see if my room was ready.of course they had no such room available but for fifty bucks more per night i could upgrade.no thanks, but nice try.valet dudes were alright,hostess at the bar/restaurant was nice.room cleaners were the most pleasant of them all.seems like staff morale is suffering at this resort???? resort as a whole was fine,beautiful setting and not terribly loud or busy.it is sad though when you arrive at a resort and are treated like you are inconveniencing them by staying there.unfortunate, but for that reason alone i will stay elsewhere when i return to beautiful maui.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I didn't look into a place to stay in Maui until the day of arrival. I booked through a third party site and the resort I was given was The Royal Lahaina. Upon arrival I was happy with the outlook of the property. When checking in I was given a complementary upgrade to an ocean view room. The staff was very very friendly and really helpful. The hotel is kept up very well and clean.
I loved the room. The decor and set up of them were great and provided a nice beachy feel.
The room had a mini fridge so if you were interested in heading to the local grocery store there is a place to keep your items cold. The room had a opened balcony with a beautiful view.
The hotel is right on the beach and has a nice pool as well. Its a close drive to the downtown Lahaina area.
Very happy with my stay here, would stay again on a visit to Maui, I recommend.

2  Thank ctraveller7
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Well let me keep this short by saying that I have only been back for about 12 hours, so this is very fresh in my mind. The Royal Lahaina is probably in one of the best locations in Maui. It is located within feet of some of the best snorkeling that you have ever experienced. Sunsets are perfection! We have stayed here twice now, once in the hotel and once in the cottages. The cottages are rundown and in definite need of an upgrade, but the garden setting and private lanai really make it worth it. The cottages also have paper thin walls and ceiling, so it makes them more susceptible to outside noise. As far as the restaurant, it is a real "must miss" in my book. I had the worst breakfast of my life there and paid handsomely for the pleasure. If you want food, walk a couple of hundred feet up the Beach Walk and eat at the Castaways Cafe (awesome with good prices). All in all the Royal Lahaina is a good place to stay in a fantastic location.

Room Tip: The cottages are old, but nice. The garden views are very tranquil and relaxing. The upper floors do...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ralfeez
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort in September 2011 for our honeymoon. Our vacation to Maui was a dream come true. Checking in was quick and the staff was always friendly and helpful. Because we were honeymooners we received an upgrade of an ocean view room (we booked a partial view) and a complimentary bottle of champagne (which was much needed after a long day of traveling). We were on the 11th floor facing the cottages and golf course. The views were incredible at all hours of day. Our room was spacious, very clean and we had plenty of towels and pillows. The bed and bedding were very luxurious and super comfortable. The fridge in the room was nice for drinks and snacks. The grounds and beach are fantastic with amazing views of the sunset. We added the breakfast buffet and are glad we did. We filled up on that each morning, ate a snack for lunch and went out for dinner. The luau at RLR was very nice. The food was delicious, the show was great and the mai tais and blue hawaiians kept on coming. We also ate at the hotel restaurant a few times. Our meals were excellent (I espeically liked the fish tacos and onion rings) and the service great. The ice cream at the Royal Scoop was almost as good as the ice cream we get in Wisconsin :) The pineapple water in the lobby was very refreshing after a day on the beach. We rented a car for two of our seven day stay. We booked a Dollar Rent A Car through RLR. A shuttle from the rental company took us to and from the resort when we picked up and dropped off the car. It worked great for us! An awesome thing about RLR is there is no resort fee (that is unless you rent a car in which it is $10/day to park). We talked with some people that stayed at the Sheraton who were suprised with over $400 in resort fees when checking out. No thanks. Royal Lahaina Resort is on the quiet side of Kaanapali Beach which made it very relaxing and enjoyable.We were so comfortable here that it truly felt like our home for the week. I do not have one bad thing to say about this place. It exceeded all our expectations and we can't wait to go back! We had the time of our lives and it was a great start to our married life!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!