“Guaranteed to see turtles, whether you snorkel or not!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lahaina
Honokeana Cove Condominiums
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Honokeana Cove. It is very intimate, and low key, which is excatly what we like to have when we vacation from our hectic schedule and lives. Yes. the property is older, but the grounds are well cared for, and the units are certainly well equipped. Ours had snorkeling gear, and beach chairs in one of the closets. The units don't have washer/dryers, but there are two laundry rooms with several washers and dryers and there was nobody using them at all when I needed to do the wash.

The setting of the hotel is very tranquil and private. The fellow guests and staff were warm and welcoming to our family of three children, ages 10,13,17. The setting of the pool is exquisite, with a view of Molokei and the ocean. All the units have an ocean view, and sunsets were a daily highlight. From our lanai we could see the turtles popping up for air, and whales in the distance flapping their fins. This condo is ideal for snorkelers, as it is set on a quiet cove that many turles live in. I snorkeled there every day, and always saw turtles on my excursions, as well as a bevy of other tropical fish and sea creatures. Turtles also sun themselfs on the pebbly beach of the cove, so even if you are not a snorkeler, you will have a great opportunity to see these graceful creatures.

The location of the hotel is ideal. It was easy for us to have a morning excursion to a nearby beach, back to the condo for lunch, and then back out for another adventure in the afternoon. Usually I'd top off the day with another snorkeling jaunt in the cove. It is a very short and scenic walk around a rocky point to our favorite beach, Napili Beach, and just a few steps farther to Kapalua Bay. Kaanapali is only 10 minutes south with its beaches and shops. Other outstanding beaches for snorkeling and boogie boarding are also within 10-15 minutes north . We enjoyed Fleming Beach for the waves, and enjoyed Honolua Bay, Old Airport Beach, Kapalua Beach, Sheraton Black Rock, and our own cove for snorkeling. Napili Beach occasionally has great waves for boogie boarding. Lahaina was 15-20 minutes away with all of its restaurants and historic sites.
Grocery store is just 2 minutes away, along with some restaurants, dive shops, coffee shop, and anything else you might need.

Each Wednesday propoerty organizes a pupu party where you have a chance to meet fellow guests at the property. Contrary to other reviews, I thought this was a GREAT place for kids, due to all the interesting creatures in the bay to see. There were several families there during our trip, and they all appeared to have a wonderful vacation. It rained one day of our trip, and we found sun just 15 minutes south. We have stayed at several condos along Napili Beach and also at the Napili Point, and we certainly found this one to offer the most for the price, and that is why we chose it. As with many condo properties, each unit is individually owned, and can vary in condition. With pictures of units on Utube, you will likely find a way to preview the unit you are considering, and decide if it is right for you. The only negative to this property is the road noise from the back bedroom, but the noise did not reach any other part of the unit. Chances are if you've been at the beach and in the sun all day, you won't notice it when it's time to sleep which for us was always around 9:00PM. I believe the road noise diminished around that time also.

This place felt more homey than most we've stayed at, and I did not mind at all not having daily maid service, and in a way it was nice not worrying about being out of our unit at a certain time every day for cleaning.. The management does provide essentials such as soap, dishwashing detergent, paper towels, etc., but bring your shampoo and lotion. Our unit also had a blow dryer. All in all, we were extremely happy with our choice of Honokeana Cove for our family vacation, and I would happily return, the sooner the better!!!

Room Tip: VRBO offerings, or call property and check Utube.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank LolaKlug

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed at Honokeana Cove last year for our annual vacation, having been to Hawaii every year since November 1991. We "used to" stay next door at Napili Point, but after a very Rude encounter after we had booked with a private owner. We then found out the Hawaiian Hospitality of Napili Point. The Maid we had most every year didn't seem to know us, the Office personnel was not helpful and reminded me I was not a paying guest! We had snorkeled out in front in the cove for many years, taking the short cut through Honokeana Cove back to N.P. After that very negative experience in May of 2007 I booked a vacation at Honokeana Cove. Yes, H.C. is different than N.P.no maid service, no washer and dryer in condo and the access to the lower level condo were fine. I am handicapped, but found walking up those few stairs fine. There are side rails. We were saddened by the loss of the cement walk path down to the ocean,but I found walking slowly down while touching the rock was just fine. We would recommend Honokeana Cove to anyone who wants a beautiful, quiet vacation. You can just stay all day, while taking dips to snorkel with the turtles and fish. Aloha!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mauimary_11
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We just spent 15 days at Honokeana Cove. The property itself is about 40 years old and the buildings show it. In fact they are sinking (our unit has a 1" gap at the top of the lanai door caused by the building settling). But the location in Napili is excellent as far as sitting on a beautiful little cove with a superb view of Molikai. There are only 38 units so for Maui standards, this is a very small initimate property. The pool is nice and it is heated, which is a rarity in Hawaii. Snorkeling in the cove is very good as it is shallow and has good coral reefs for fish and Green Sea Turtles. This resort is walking distance to Kapalua and a short drive to all the action in West Maui. Su and Greg are very gracious hosts and work to help out vistors.

The negativesof Honokaeana are that all units have their bedrooms facing Lower Hohoapi'ilani Road which is very busy. This causes lots of traffic noise at night and early in the morning. Luckily when we were there it was cool enough at night to close bedroom windows to lower noise level (there is no AC). It is also sometimes a suicide mission to get out of the property and onto the road due to traffic. Some of the units need major work. We were in #108 and its has not had anything done to it for years. Others, we understand, have been updated nicely. In fact the two units next to us were being worked on (another negative as far as the noise). This is NOT a family resort. It does not have the room for kids to race around nor is the pool conducive to kids playing. The owners don't go out of their way to make kids welcome. It is a nice place for couples.

The Honokeana Cove is not the Ritz. But it is a nice place to relax in Maui with a convinient swimming pool and very good snorkeling with green sea turtles just steps from your lanai. Just ask a lot of questions about the particular unit you are looking to rent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sage102
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This was our second trip to the "Cove" as we stayed here in 2002. Now I must be honest, we've got a good friend who owns one of the units and we rent this from them, but it's not the reason I'll boast of the "Cove". What I truly like about the cove is the amazing snorkeling right out your back door and the amazing views of the sunset from the units. The complex is an older one next to Napili beach (close walking distance) and has 1,2 and 3 br units. Each one is individually decorated by the owners, but are fully stocked for everythging one needs, great grills (3) facing the cove and the sunset and a nice pool and grounds. The staff here (Su Campos) is very helpful and friendly and the new Resident Manager is extremely nice and helpful (the other guy before him not so much, so disregard the previous comments about him). There is quiet hours, so don't expect to be loud and partying, but was perfect for us, our friends and their 10 year old. Again - you'll be amazed at the snorkeling! I almost feel guilty writing this as I'd like to keep it my secret!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SWAUSHORN
alohaturtle, Manager at Honokeana Cove Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

I was glad to read this review regarding our new Resident Manager, Greg. Our last manager, Dave was not quite in tune with public relations. Our property is definitely now kid friendly. In fact, my return summer guests this year said it was their best trip ever with Greg now on staff.Thank you for your great review.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

We had a fantastic stay in room 203 at the Honokeana Cove Condos. The office staff were very friendly and upon arriving at our room, it was very nice and inviting. The condo had everything we needed for our stay and was a perfect location for sitting out on the deck and watching the turtles and surfers in the bay. We snorkeled with the turtles one night (and they were big guys). The condo is really close to attractions both North and South and we took day trips to check out the great banana bread at the green house up north - and to go snorkeling far south by the lava fields. I would highly recommend a stay in Room 203.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelingT2
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I almost hate writing a good review because I don't want to let the secret out. This is old Maui at it's very best. Built 40 years ago when they had their choice of locations. I come here every spring to see the whales. This place is the the very best location on west maui. Oh, about the smoking. I smoke cigars, but I was asked to go down to the waters edge to smoke. I complied with no objection. My wife hates the smoke. Trust me, she would tell me if she could smell it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Guy-G
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My family and I have stayed at this location for many years...the lagoon and sites are wonderful...however, I feel that the place hasnt been updated since the 15+ years since we first stayed there. It is a quiet location and I would recommend it to seniors... My husband felt like it was too much like a retirement home......it is a great snorkeling location with many sea turtles..

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Salongirl45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
Napili Kai Beach Resort
#8 of 32 in Lahaina
Napili Sunset Beachfront Resort
The Kapalua Villas, Maui

Been to Honokeana Cove Condominiums? Share your experiences!