“Great place to stay”
Review of Sands of Kahana

Sands of Kahana
Ranked #13 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Reviewed August 7, 2007

What a great and relaxing place to stay. If this is in your price range and you want to be just out of the hustle of the center of Lahina this is a great pick!

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank aceupmysleeve777

Reviewed July 4, 2007

We just returned from a week at the SOK. We stayed in Bldg 1, 4th floor. Our 2bdrm was unbelievably spacious (over 1700 sq ft), plus had major upgrades thru-out. The lanai was huge and had a terrific view of the pool and the beach beyond. We found the unit to be spotless, and free of any bugs. The lone A/C unit in the living room was enough for that area, but frankly we slept with the lanai sliding doors open and felt quite comfortable every evening. SOK is close to everything, yet removed enough as described by other reviewers so that you feel a sense of having your own private beach. A couple of recommendations for restaurants: IO restauarant is fantastic, as is its sister restaurant next door- Pacifico's. Both are in Lahaina, and you can get coupons for them at the SOK activities desk. Definately try the Hula Grill in Whalers Village...great ambience right on the ocean. Dotties Sports bar across the street from SOK is cool, and good for a sandwich or pizza. Happy hour at the SOK poolside restaurant is worth trying once or twice...the drinks are only $3, and decent pizza is $1.50 a slice. We also did the usual activities: Luau- Old Lahaina (excellent), a sunrise bike ride down the volcano with "Bike it Maui"- excellent experience except for the long pickup/return trips in their van, and of course getting up so early. We also did a morning snorkeling trip toMolokini/ Turtle Bay cove. It was alot of fun, except for the choppy waters we encountered the morning we went. Overall, a great vacation, and again SOK was outstanding.

Stayed: June 2007
8  Thank c1902c
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Everything about the Sands exceded our expectations. First, at over 1800 sq. feet for the 2 bedroom, it was more than spacious for the 5 of us. Everything was clean and neat and very, very homey. I've never seen so many closets in a vacation rental. The washer and dryer were large capacity, too. Piles of extra towels and supplies in the linen closet. First floor, buidling one had a lovely view of the garden. Parking under the building was a pleasant surprise, too.

The interior courtyard access to the rooms was a bit noisy, but did not seem to bother our kids who were sleeping in the back bedroom after the first night. It was quite hot while we were there but the lack of air conditioning was no problem as we always cought a breeze with the windows open.

The restaurant next to the pool was fun and the food was good. Also, the barbeque grills were handy and cleaned each day.

Very quick and easy walk to the beach. On our last day, a Honu (sea turtle) swam right between the kids and bumped our youngest son. We also drove up to the beach at Napili, which had lots of turtles and good snorkeling. A few minutes further at DT Fleming state park the boogie boarding was fantatstic.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Julie L
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We just returned from a week at SOK. We are a family of 5 - two parents and three kids (11, 13 & 16). We loved SOK. We rented to 2 bdrm oceanfront unit in bldg #2. The condo was large, great views and very clean. We did not have any problems with ants or any bugs. If you are a family, I'd recommend staying here. It's very affordable when comparing against condos in Kannapali. This is a quiet/family oriented condo complex. Not a place for those seeking night-life. My only complaint is the other guests being very loud in the morning. There is an atrium in every building that has elevators/stairs and access to the condos. It's all open - you are in Hawaii after all. Apparently not everyone realizes that it's all open air - sounds travel. At 6:30-7:00 a.m. we had other guests shouting to each other in the atrium and kids yelling/crying, etc. It was a bad way to wake up! SOK had no control of this; it only happened a couple of mornings.
Some activities we'd recommend:
Take surf lessons! The whole family took lessons with Goofy Foot in Lahina. John was our teacher. He was great - the entire staff was great. Everyone got up on the board and surfed. Great family fun!
Horseback riding - we went with Mendes Ranch. They were fantastic! The entire staff was very friendly! The ride is gorgeous. They take you up to view the valley and waterfalls then take you down to the coast. The guides get off of their horses and take pictures of families/couples using your camera. You don't get stuck with extra costs for photos. Again, a great family outing.
Go ziplining - we used Eco-Adventures West Maui mountains tour. It was great fun. The guides were awesome. They explain some Maui history and eco information as well as take you on some amazing zip lines.
You'll get very dirty on both the horseback ride and ziplining due to the Maui red dirt/dust. Don't wear white on either of these excursions.
As far as groceries go - just be prepared - it's expensive. We went to Safeway in Lahaina. We signed up for the Safeway card at no cost; it definitely saved us money. As far as other items like coffe and mac nuts to take home - try Long Drugs. We found them to be the least expensive - even less than Hilo Hatties.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank InLuvMaui
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I had stayed there before (family member owns a timeshare) and I always loved the view but it always seemed too "timeshare-tastic" for my taste. But this time around I'd have to say it was the best of my several week vacation on the islands.

The rooms are HUGE with kitchens better equipped than my own. And if you can get yourself a view, your verandah will look over the beach with full views of Lanai and Molokai. It's beyond fantastic. The other reviewers were right on when they described the furniture as being "Golden Girls" 80s glammy. It's weird, but comfortable. Man they could sure lose those 10-foot fake banana trees though. But I digress. These are the things that changed my mind about the place: the restaurant is under new management, and the food is really good. I am a big food snob so I would literally eat each bite thinking to my self: "Really? This place?" Two years ago the only thing they served was jalapeno poppers and fish sticks, now you can have macadamia mahi-mahi or banana-curry chicken that sounds snobby and tastes really good.

Secondly, the grounds are big enough to accomdate a lot of people without feeling crowded. There are tennis courts and a gym that is completely unpopulated. There is plenty of room on the beach - there are a few friendly-but-boozy timeshare owners (myself included half the time) by the pool and their goth teen kids trying to get a tan while showing how much angst they have, but for the most part you have a whole lot of space to yourself. Which brings me to my final point:

That beach - it was secluded, easy to swim and snorkel in, and offered views that were just idyllic. For some reason I needed a little bit more solitude than the gigantic Kaanapali or Waikiki beaches offerred, and this little beach was great for that. You could pull up a lounge right to the water and lay out in the breezes while watching the rain pass over the neighboring islands. You could walk its length a few times in the morning and say "hi" to only a few other pepole, and you could swim in it for a while, return to your lounge chair to lay out, then take another dip all afteroon. It's a nice way to waste a lot of time and for that, I am looking forward to returning to this little timeshare.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank a.p.1017
Reviewed May 31, 2007

Having read some of these posts, I was a little nervous about the property. However, having friends who stayed here and loved it, I went with personal recommendation over online comments. And I was very glad I did!

We were very clear on the unit we wanted, a 3 bedroom penthouse, and we were able to get that unit as requested. It was very spacious, and comfortably fit 6 adults. We were in building 3, which is one of the two better ones to be in, oceanfront. Views from the lanai were spectacular, and the unit itself was very well stocked. We moved in for 10 days, and were incredibly satisfied! The unit even had wireless internet access, so I was able to work each day on my laptop from the lanai....can't beat that!

Overall....great place....I would go back anytime, and stay at this property.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank CAOnTheRoadAgain
Reviewed May 16, 2007

What a great place this was!! We stayed here for one of the weeks we were in Maui. This was our favorite place of any we stayed. We liked it because its not a huge mega resort! All the help there were just great! Very freindly & helpful. We had a two bedroom suite on the third floor ocean front. Our suite was very spacious and had everything you could want. The restruant there is absolutely wonderful, overlooks the ocean and clean. We ate there quite a few times. It was one of the best places we ate in Maui. They have alot of gas BBQ's around the grounds to use also.Never hung out by the pool because of the screaming kids playing Marco Polo, URGH!! Thats ok though we hung out on the beach. You can go in a pool anytime at home, the ocean is way better! Saw whales everyday, all day. This was in January 2007. I have never in my life been to such a beatiful place as Maui is. We did alot of hiking, biking, driving etc all over the island. Very favorite was the road to Hana. But you must get out & hike to see what all we saw, go off the beaten path, it is so worth it!!!

9  Thank islands