“My Family Vacation”

Ranked #11 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
vallejo
“My Family Vacation”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Once again we spent a week in Oct. at the Sands Of Kahana and were not disapointed. It was even better than last year. They had all the water sport rentals on site, a wonderful new childrens pool, new tennis courts and of course the beach was perfect.

Room Tip: We like building 3 but all buildings are close to everything and I do prefer floors 3 and up. The v...
1 Thank macdana517
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We are very happy you enjoyed your latest visit to Sands of Kahana. Your loyalty and yearly vacations are much appreciated. We are glad you approve of the upgrades since your last stay, and of course the beach just outside your door is perfect every time. Thank you for your generous rating. We look forward to seeing you again next October. Mahalo!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have returned from Sands of Kahana renewed with the Aloha Spirit.
Prior to my trip, I read several comments regarding the staff and the noise from the trash trucks, and the furnishing, etc., in my opinion, way too much negativity as I have visited SOK over 9 times and only enjoyed beautiful grounds, incredible views, and pleasant staff. Hawaii at its best. My recent visit in Aug, 2012 was everything I expected and then some. Was the resort in need of a few repairs, absolutely, but given the recovery from a horrible recession, l give it a strong 4.5 what in the past was 5+. The mgmt. with a great staff is working hard to keep the property in the best conditions with the resources available keeping in mind there is a budget to abide with the concerns of the owners. There have been updates to the furnishings, pool, tennis courts and the grounds which are as always, impeccable. I tried the restaurant and while the staff is very nice, I would still advise dining elsewhere, mediocre food and the pricing was not equal to the quality.
Upon arrival, I greeted with a smile and Aloha” (love to hear that from a local), we arrived late due to airport delays. Now running on 36 hours of no sleep and knowing I had previously requested 2 one bedroom condo adjoining or at least in the same building as we were a family of 6 traveling together they were not to be had. We all needed rest and for the moment nothing could be done. Our rooms were as far from each other as could be and still be staying at the SOK. Disappointed to say the least, reception desk was kind and apologized, advising to check in the morning and if they could assist on Sunday they would. My first night, I was over the trash area and 5 minutes of disturbance was nothing compared to the disrespectful partiers in the next resort. They don’t even pick up trash early SOK. At my home, the trash is banging around at 4:30 AM. Now that’s rude!

The next day as promised the front desk Manager, was gracious in finding an alternative for us, understanding we just wanted to be close to each other, they made that happen and with a pleasant demeanor.
Out week went along with amazing snorkeling, dining, sunsets and sighting that is incomparable.
Our trip as a result was incredible for most of the time, we did however experience partier goers at the end of the week, smoking in the elevator, yelling and playing very loud music from midnight to 3:00AM. Nothing was done about that situation even though when I called the desk she advised she had several other calls; the party must have just run out of beer, it finally got quiet. Not to ever let other people ruin a perfect vacation, we enjoyed breakfast on the lanai as we prepared our fair well to a perfect experience.

Room Tip: Corner suites have 2 lanai's, Higher floors are more quiet then lower, Go expecting an unforgeta...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank sportsstuff4ustore
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your generous review. We are glad we could renew your Aloha Spirit! Our goal is to ensure a great visit and exceed your expectations. It was our pleasure to fulfill your room request in order to bring your family closer together. Our recent renovations to the pool, tennis courts and furnishings are part of our ongoing maintenance and resort improvement program. We are glad you approve. Thank you once again for sharing your comments. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you again soon.
Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Went with friend for timeshare week. Stay was delightful. Large two bedroom looking out over the Pacific. Eat at Mamas Fish House while you are in Maui. Hope my friend invites me again! So many fun things to do in Maui. Go to the aquarium and snorkeling at Molikina to see some beautiful tropical fish.

• Stayed September 2012
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary remarks. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our two-bedroom unit, at 1,000 square feet, can make any visit that much better. It offers numerous amenities including a full kitchen and, depending on location, world famous ocean views. Thank you once again for sharing your comments. We hope you will consider us again.
California
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Sands of Kahana (the first time 17 years ago). It was actually our second choice for this trip, as we were going to try something different, but as that fell through, we were happy to get a condo here. Unit 336 is beachfront on the third floor, so the view is wonderful and the sound of the ocean waves lulled us to sleep every night. The condo itself is quite large and though it could use a bit of updating, it served every purpose we needed. We had family staying in one of the resorts in Kaanapali 4 miles south, and their condo was lovely, but they paid a hefty amount to stay there. If you want a wonderful place at an affordable price, I'd highly recommend staying at the Sands of Kahana.

1 Thank HoneybeeLady
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Welcome back and thank you for thinking of us! We are happy we could justify your decision to stay with us again after all these years. The beachfront unit you describe offers a breathtaking view of the Pacific, and its proximity to the waves means you get a natural sleep aid as a bonus. We appreciate your generous review and look forward to your next visit. We hope it’s sooner than 17 years.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I can thank enough the staff SOK upon checkin to checkout smile's and can we help you ... I was in a one bedroom unit on third floor. Yes the trades died the second night but it was not bad. The grounds people were right on time at 8 am yes they to are nice ! Everything was great! A totally relax and hang-loose time...After are 14 hour plane ride went to check in and room was not ready if I can only tell you how I felt but the smiles of the staff and the warm aloha was felt so the key is be patient and let the people do there job and enjoy the island as the pace is not New York.

Room Tip: Not all room's can face the ocean most have partial ocean views and be warned this hotel is not...
California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here in a 2 bedroom unit with a beautiful ocean view. The room was very large and spacious. We ate and drank at the hotel restaurant and was always very happy. The Mai Tai's were fabulous. There was an area to borrow books, games, and puzzles. The beach was sand and clean.
Would go here again....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank jeng6109
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for visiting Sands of Kahana. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our beautiful two-bedroom suites offer 1,500 square feet of living space and breathtaking ocean views. The Terrace Restaurant is a great place to grab a quick bite or relax during happy hour (or any time) with a delicious adult beverage. One of the great things about our resort is the convenient access to the beach, which is just outside our door. Thank you for sharing your comments. We hope to see you again soon.
escondido
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very clean units and great activities. The happy hour has great mai tais and the pool is right there. Very friendly staff. I moved units as my garden view was a parking lot view. The bigger units like 2 and three bedrooms have more of a chance of having an ocean view. I had a peak of the ocean. My ten year old son loved it here and also my 50 year old brother. The beach was great!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cherylavocado
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Aloha, Cheryl Avocado! Thank you for your generous rating. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. It was our pleasure to move you to a room with a more pleasing view. We agree the Pacific Ocean is preferable to a parking lot. We are able to accommodate room requests based on availability. It is good to know our resort staff demonstrated plenty of Aloha spirit and that your son and brother enjoyed their stay. We hope you will consider us again on your next visit to Maui.