We've stayed at Napili Surf 5 or 6 times before, always in an ocean view studio. This time there were four of us and we stayed in an ocean front 1-bedroom unit, number 207. It's the upstairs front unit on the second building from the beach (Lehua). We think it's got the best view in the house, with two balconies on the NW side and a big lanai on the N side. It's right above the pool so at busy times of year (holidays, summer high season) there could be significant noise from kids, but the pool was virtually unused the ten days we were there. The units are well-maintained but the sofa bed mattress in our living area, where our grown kids slept, was in bad shape, lumpy and uncomfortable. That will probably be fixed soon. Also there is no dining table on the lanai, but the inside table has great ocean views. We thought there was too much furniture in the living room for four people, but that's just us. None of the units is large, but you aren't banging your shins on the furniture to get around, either. No bath tubs, only showers. Nice thick towels. No A/C, just ceiling fans, which works fine unless there is kona weather. Garden view units are significantly cheaper and the building that houses them has great landscaping and its own pool. It's only 100 yards to the beach from that building, so if you don't care about the view it's a very good deal. In the front buildings some people actually complain about the noise of the ocean keeping them awake. The waves can be seriously loud--we love it, but others may not.
The clientele is mostly either older people (many Canadians, since the property was originally developed by Canadians) and young families. Not a place to party into the night, a place where the loudest thing you are likely to hear is the wave action on the beach. There's a coffee on Friday mornings and a Mai Tai party on Tuesday evenings. Two gas barbecues that get a lot of use and are cleaned every day. The gardeners even wipe off all the benches above the beach every morning so you don't get wet sitting there with your coffee watching the waves. The landscaping is really well cared for, and there are herbs growing you are free to pick. I've read a few reviews here complaining about the rules, which made me laugh. Different strokes....seems to me like the rules are all sensible and have to do with respecting your neighbors. Simple courtesies, really.
Napili bay is usually great for swimming, unless there is a big north swell, and the snorkeling is good, too, lots of little reefs in the bay with plenty of fish and sea turtles, too. We could see the turtles coming up from inside our room. It's a five-minute walk to Kapalua beach. The Napili area is nice because there are no high-rises. If you are looking for low-key and laid back, I think it's the best area on the island. There are lots of family homes in the neighborhood, though fewer every time we go.
We have stayed at the Napili Bay next door and the units feel dark and not well-ventilated there. Only louvered windows, no sliders, so you can't get a clear view of the ocean or anything else from inside. The lanais are small, too, and the railings are of wood so you can only see the ocean when standing, unless you are pretty tall. Napili Surf is a much better deal, more appealing overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint beachfront property is right on beautiful Napili Bay, a mere 50 to 150 steps into the amazing clear ocean water. Swimming, snorkeling, sun-bathing and stand up boarding are all available a few feet from your room. We are located along Kapalua and its world-class golf courses, Napili Surf Beach Resort is minutes away from Kaanapali and historic Lahaina Town. Fully-equipped condos offer the amenities and convenience of a resort, including daily housekeeping service and complimentary wireless Internet, with the comfort of your own home. Beautiful oceanfront grounds, two swimming pools, three barbecues, each with its own herb garden. Napili Surf Beach Resort is a non-smoking property. Please note that our rooms do not have air-conditioning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Napili Surf Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Napili Surf Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Napili Surf Beach Lahaina
- Napili Surf Beach Resort Maui/Lahaina