I hesitate to review Napili Surf since it's been almost two years since our last stay but we are true Napili Surf addicts. I also hesitate to share this special gem of a resort.
We missed our now-annual Christmas visit in 2008 but are counting the days till our return this December (our fifth Christmas at Napili Surf). We've probably stayed at Napili Surf 10 or more times and have sent family, friends, co-workers. This is a small, ocean-front resort that is well maintained with dedicated fans who appreciate the less glitzy, cozier resort style. Each unit is privately owned but professionally managed and cared for. Even if your unit is a garden unit (not ocean view), the manicured lawn and sandy beach-front provide ample area for chaise-lounge viewing of the beautiful ocean and Molokai--not to mention direct access to the swimmable, often boogey-boardable Napili Bay. You'll want a car but can also find dining choices within walking distance. Larger grocery stores are a short drive, as is resort-style life (Kaanapali) and shopping (Whaler's Village).
Regarding previous posts that complain of:
1) No air conditioning: It's never been a problem for us. Maybe we've been lucky with weather and the unit locations we've chosen. We've stayed during April, August, September and December.
2) Musty unit: Never experienced musty and my nose is super sensitive.
3) Lumpy bed: All our beds have been comfortable. If you don't expect the luxury bed and bedding of a Westin resort, you'll be fine. Some units have queen beds, some have kings. If I found a bed not up to standards, I'd notify the office and they would, I believe, do everything within their power to fix the problem. The staff care.
4) Too many rules: Thank goodness for those rules as people seem to need them today! More and more people are traveling with children. Kids are noisy and like to play, scream and run. Some parents forget that not everyone appreciates the constant cuteness that comes with all that joyful kid noise. It also seems there's been a decline of common sense and common courtesy in our society. Just because I'm awake and enjoying myself at 11 pm or 7 am, I can't assume the people next door want the same. Just because you can't be away from your cell phone, doesn't mean I want to participate in your one-way (usually too loud) conversations next to my patio chair or lawn chaise. You might think it's fun to throw that football across the lawn over the heads of those of us relaxing, reading, sunning, but there's a huge sandy beach 50 feet away that is full of folks who would enjoy watching your talents. No need to even mention why no-smoking rules are needed.
5) Noise from adjacent units: The resort is small, patios surround two sides of the large lawn area. Voices and noise carry. Last spring I paid $600+ a night for a condo on the Big Island and I still had to participate in the vacation trials, tribulations and joys of other vacationers. These were large, up-scale units and the screaming kids, the cell phone conversations, etc. were more disruptive and frustrating there than at little Napili Surf. Sad to say, people can be just plain clueless and rude.
6) Landscape maintenance: Either the landscape is maintained or it isn't. It often requires workers using equipment. It's been our experience that equipment use has been fairly regular but minimal in duration at Napili Surf. We've experienced far more disruption at higher-end resorts and condo complexes.
We brought our extended family to Napili Surf for Christmas 2007. The young marrieds who usually travel with Hyatt, Westin, etc., loved Napili Surf. All were pleased and look forward to returning December 2010.
We hope Napili Surf will continue to post and enforce the rules that enable all of us to enjoy our well-deserved vacations. Frankly, we encourage management to be even a bit more dedicated to keeping Napili Surf the laid-back aloha spot we've enjoyed on so many visits.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint beachfront property is right on beautiful Napili Bay, a mere 50 to 150 steps into the amazing clear ocean water. Swimming, snorkeling, sun-bathing and stand up boarding are all available a few feet from your room. We are located along Kapalua and its world-class golf courses, Napili Surf Beach Resort is minutes away from Kaanapali and historic Lahaina Town. Fully-equipped condos offer the amenities and convenience of a resort, including daily housekeeping service and complimentary wireless Internet, with the comfort of your own home. Beautiful oceanfront grounds, two swimming pools, three barbecues, each with its own herb garden. Napili Surf Beach Resort is a non-smoking property. Please note that our rooms do not have air-conditioning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Napili Surf Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Napili Surf Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Napili Surf Beach Lahaina
- Napili Surf Beach Resort Maui/Lahaina