“Highly recommended”

Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Peachland, Canada
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed at Napili Surf at the beginning of August 2013 but didn't write a review because I really had nothing to add to what others are saying. I returned almost exactly a year later (August 2014) and I think I can now provide some useful information.

First off, everything you read from other reviewers is true. The property is brilliantly maintained --one of the best managed places at which I've ever stayed. Good snorkeling on the beach and good swimming. The kitchens are very well stocked with pots, pans, plates, etc. and perfectly suited for self catering. The cleaning staff do a great job and all the staff are very friendly.

I rented a car but really, if you are just there for a relaxing beach vacation and are not interested is doing things like the road to Hana or seeing dawn on the volcano, and if you are content to self cater, you could skip the car, take a taxi to and from the airport, and make one taxi trip to the Napili market for supplies. There are local buses but really, if you want to see the island you will need a car.

For families with young children or older couples who want a relaxing stay on a great beach in an extraordinarily well maintained property Napili Surf is highly recommended. Younger couples may prefer the action of a resort along Kaanapili Beach/Whalers Village area. I do not.

The resort has four buildings, three of which overlook a very spacious lawn and have a full or partial view of the ocean. Of those three buildings two face North East and one, the Ocean View Studios building, faces North West. The fourth building, the Garden View Studios building, looks over a narrow lawn at a high hedge, and faces North West. I have now stayed, in August, in a Partial Ocean View room that faces NE, and in a Garden View room that faces NW

On the air conditioning issue: In the Partial Ocean View room facing NE the breeze did a great deal to cool off the room (prevailing trade winds blow from the NE direction) I was quite comfortable. In the Garden View room you get a lot less breeze and the room was definitely a lot warmer at night. The Garden View rooms are significantly cheaper and significantly hotter, at least in August. If you want to maximize breeze through the room NE facing buildings are better. If you are in a NW facing room you might be better off on the ground floor since the lanais extend out into the lawn a bit and you get more wind. On the second floor the lanais do not extend out, and the breeze is blocked.

On privacy: The ground floor rooms are obviously not as private as the second floor rooms, because people will be walking by all the time and you will have your drapes open for the breeze. If you have a ground floor room right in front of the pool in the Garden View rooms you will have people sitting around the pool just a few metres from your lanai. On the other hand if you have kids who will use the pool having a room right in front of the pool allows you to sit on your lanai and keep an eye on them. For privacy avoid rooms 121-124. Rooms 127-129 would be far more private. On the other hand to have the pool right in front of your lanai so you can keep an eye on the kids rooms 121-124 are for you. The other pool, on the big lawn, is not so close to the buildings so you don't have the same issue.I solved the privacy issue by asking for a room on the second floor.

On the noise issue: Sure, all the windows are open and people are sitting out on their lanais,so you hear other guests. I guess that from time to time some guests are going to be louder than you would like, but my experience of 25 nights over two years is that loud guests are a rare event. Most people seem to be repeat visitors and very respectful.

Highly Recommended

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank FormerlyBCBoy3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Claremont, California
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Although this was our first visit, many of the guests we met at the Napili Surf were there for their ninth, 20th, even 45th stay. We could see why. The staff is so friendly and solicitous, the views of Molokai and Lanai across the water are so beautiful, and the little beach below the resort is so pleasant that we could understand the lure. Oh, and there are also several pools, waving palm trees, and patios outside every room. The studio we stayed in (116), although a little on the dated side, had everything we needed, and the one problem (with the shower door) was fixed immediately after we reported it. Our only issue -- and we were aware of it before booking -- is the lack of air conditioning. (This is the reason for my four-star rating.) Perhaps at some times of year this is not a problem, but even with the louvers open and the fan on high, the room was pretty warm at night. The resort's staff almost made up for this downside. Our visit coincided with the threat of TWO approaching hurricanes, and manager Tano and his staff worked nonstop to make sure guests were safe, well-equipped in case of power/water outages, and reassured. Wednesday's mai-tai get-together still took place, and as did Friday morning's coffee and treats (although moved indoors).
Those who prefer large, full-service resorts with all the amenities should look elsewhere, but I would recommend the Napili Surf to travelers who prefer low-key and laid-back. I'd also recommend the shop next door (at the Napili Shores) for snorkel or SUP rental. Prices are very reasonable, and the employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElandTi
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have stayed at the Napili Surf Beach Resort 5 times now over the last 7-8 years. We have continued to return given the following reasons: fabulous location (on the most beautiful beach), cleanliness of the condos with daily maid service, well stocked kitchen to help us save on meals out, and cozy beds. The #1 reason we have returned is the convenience of the beautiful beach, as we have little ones and it's easy to quickly run to the beach and back up to the condo. The beach is usually calm, so we feel safe swimming with the kids.

However, during our last 3 trips, we have continuously had trouble with noisy neighbors. Due to the lack of A/C, we need to have the windows open. This is great when you can hear the waves, the wind, and the rain; not so great when you have people talking in full voice on their lanais or on the grass when you're trying to sleep. There are quiet hours from 10pm-8am, and management says that they patrol around 10pm every night, but I've continued to need to call to complain that someone is extremely loud, such as families running around in full voice at 11pm or next door neighbors playing a ukelele and singing out loud, which means no one is really enforcing the quiet hours. This year we also had a smoker next door, even though the property boasts a strict no smoking policy. We have then felt like management is annoyed at us for always being the "complainers". When we decided to leave early on this last trip, they did nothing to stop us or express concern on losing out on renting out multiple units for several nights. Maybe they were happy that the "complainers" left...who knows.

I would love to say that we'll go back, and maybe one day we will, but for now I was very happy to move to an air conditioned hotel where I could finally sleep.

Room Tip: Some rooms have bedrooms on the parking lot side - these are awful!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank BeachGirl026
Tennessee
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

GOOD: The lawn next to the beach was my favorite spot! It had beautiful trees for shading (optional), plenty of chairs, and soft grass. It's the perfect spot for coffee/beer and a good book. I also thought the pillows were soft and the linens were nice. The granite counter tops were nice and the kitchen provided everything we needed (coffee filters and wrap). Thank you/Mahalo for providing a powerful fan for the room, Napili Beach & Surf Resort! Otherwise, I would have been uncomfortably hot. I was pleased to have a room on the second story so we could always leave our windows open and get a good breeze. The resort is a great deal for your money and you are a short drive to downtown Lahaina.

BAD: I really missed the air conditioning. I was too hot and not used to sleeping with fans, so I didn't sleep very well. Also, there were small bugs near the bathroom sink and kitchen area - very, very tiny bugs. I did not see them anywhere else or else I would have asked for another room. We stayed in 224.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Worldly84
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at Napili for three weeks in July and this was our third visit.
Where to begin...... friendly staff, clean rooms, manicured grounds, pretty beach, excellent mai tai's, fantastic breakfast (my partner consumed at least four pieces of cornbread each time) and the no noise rule after 10pm suited us perfectly.
With the beach literally at your doorstep, a pre breakfast swim, a snorkel with the turtles or a leisurely paddle around the bay became our daily routine.
Drinks while watching the sunset, the sound of the ocean at night and the birds in the morning, was our idea of a sensational holiday.
The new general manager (Tonu - sorry for the spelling) is a gem, he is a knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming manager and takes the time to speak with each and every guest. The reception staff - fantastic, housekeeping - exceptional, grounds staff - friendly, obliging and oh so particular.
The only problem with staying at Napili is that you have to leave............ truly paradise.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DSnMC
South Pacific
Reviewed August 3, 2014

this is our second year staying here, and enjoy the condo and the access to the beach, which is one of our favorites on the island.

We have stayed in 107 and 207 and have had no complaints. Be warned that there is no air conditioning, but it isn't really a deal-breaker. And the place is noisy: not in a bad way, but birds, surf, voices tend to wake me up about 7, which is sleeping in for me, so i don't care. Nice and quiet after 10pm.

Napili is kinda away from everything, so you will have more driving time, especially as traffic on the island is nuts.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PrivateMan99
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was the first time my family had traveled to Hawaii. I had looked to book at the Fairmont but was taken aback at the price for five people. I saw the Napili Surf Beach Resort on Trip Advisor and was impressed at the rating and the price. We have loved it here. If you are looking for a ten story building with someone to spritz you at the pool this place is not for you. If you are looking for a wonderful, friendly hotel run by locals this is the place for you. It is on the beach, great paddle boarding and snorkeling with lots of turtles. The staff is so nice and helpful. They really work hard to make your stay memorable. The drinks on Wed. night, donuts and coffee on Friday morning were great. The accommodations are nice, each room has a patio. The general manager is new and could not be more helpful. He had lots of tips for us in planning our road to Hana trip and for paddle boarding. We hope one day to return to Maui, it is remarkably beautiful. We look forward to coming back to Napili Surf.

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces the ocean, closer the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family