Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful hotel, beach and pool. 1 bedroom suite was perfect for our family of 4. Sofa bed was big beds comfy. Gorgeous view! Close to everything! We Booked through vacationcandy.com and saved a ton of money so glad we used them. They are helpful and very easy to use!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Family T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times, the most recent being in 2006. This trip, I was joined by several family members. My parents initially purchased a timeshare at the Marriott property on Kauai (Poipu Beach). We have all enjoyed many vacations together there. This property on Maui is huge with wonderful amenities. These include:

-Beautiful grounds, well kept and very clean.
-Decent self-parking. I always found a parking spot in the small parking structure.
-Access to a clean gym with a good number of cardio machines and a weight room.
-Daily exercise classes such as Zumba and yoga.
-Starbucks on site and a small cafe with really good lunch and dinner items.
-Great high speed internet with few connectivity issues.
-Several pools. The main pool has a children's area off to one side and a slide.
-Extremely friendly staff who genuinely seem to enjoy their jobs and want to be helpful.
-Well appointed condo with washer/dryer, dvd player, kitchen supplies.
-Central location on Kaanapali beach with easy walking access to restaurants and shopping.

The only con was the 'sales presentation.' There was pressure to buy and when it did not happen, the salesperson implied that we had wasted our time and his.

Overall, this is a wonderful place to stay in Maui and I will likely return in the near future.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank OregonJules
Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

I'd like to caveat that this review primarily is focused primarily towards Marriott Elite members, and is based upon our relative experiences staying at various Marriott properties, throughout the year, for business and leisure. I also emphasize that if you are a Vacation Club Owner, your experience will be likely to be substantially better than ours, and our review does not apply.

My wife is a Platinum member and I am a Gold member of Marriott/Ritz Rewards. Our first experience with Marriott Vacation Club in Vegas resulted in a terrible experience, one in which we checked out within an hour of checking in (the manager was nice enough to help us out). After that, we decided to give Vacation Club another chance, but unfortunately, it wasn't considerably better. After this experience, we are likely done with Vacation Club as an option. There really is a feeling of second-class for non-owners, especially when we were asked by several staffs on occasion whether we were owners or not. That doesn't necessarily imply it's a terrible experience overall , but it did require a bit of expectation management on our parts.

We were given a room on the second floor overseeing the main pool area and beach, which was a very nice view. However, the carpets were old and the room was noisy given the proximity to the pool. We asked if there was anything the property could do to address this and we were essentially told there was nothing that could be done if you are not an owner as Marriott 'rents' rooms for non-owners. We requested a late checkout due to a very late flight, but were told that 11am was the best they could do, and were reminded with a 'friendly' knock by the cleaning staff at 10am and 11am. A redeeming quality was the Hospitality room, which allowed you to change and shower after checking-out, as well as continued use of the pools and amenities through the day. This was definitely a convenient and generous accommodation

The rooms are okay, you are given plenty of towels, a refrigerator, plates, cups, a safe, unlimited DVD rentals, and access to a variety of resort features. The WI-FI does work pretty well and the gym is extensive including treadmills that sit outside. The pool is amazing, containing waterfalls and different sections for various sports, but there's always a deficiency in the amount of chairs (especially those with any shade). We were also asked to sign up for a Vacation Club sales pitch, but turned it down for the sake of time. The staff are generally extremely professional and helpful, although I sometimes found the cleaning staff to be rather impatient with their cleaning schedules. If you are staying and have a car, I recommend using the valet service as it will save you considerable amounts of time retrieving and dropping your car off. The valet guys are efficient and professional. The restaurant continues to be 'under construction,' which resulted in very limited options for food. However, it allowed us the opportunity to explore the restaurants/properties in the other hotels near the Vacation Club. We tried Burger Bistro out at the Westin and found it to be of decent value and fairly good quality.

Overall, I think the property has the potential to be great, but it really isn't for us. After discussing our experience with others who have been to Maui, we were reasonably convinced that there were far better options outside of the Vacation Club; possibly the Marriott at Wailea. Again, I reiterate that if you are a owner, this is probably an amazing place.

I realize my rating may be a bit unfair from an objective perspective and I acknowledge that; but, at the end of the day, I am more comfortable reviewing this property from our relative impression, which is inherently subjective.

The sunsets are great here, so try to get a room that faces the beach.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Phntm703
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Overall for Hawaii the amenities were great. We enjoyed our room immensely. The pool was great and we loved the beach. My fiancé was super thrilled by the Starbucks on location. Unfortunately the Restaurant under construction and we did not get a chance to visit.

We did not like our sales pitch. We visited as part of a timeshare package. I felt as soon as we were not interests our sales rep became rude and wanted us gone ASAP. We would have been happy not doing the pitch at all if this was going to be our treatment. We are coming back on a revisit package and hope the value is better and the salesperson is not as rude at the end.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dkeithca
Moorpark, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

We are timeshare owners at this resort and travel here every year with family. We enjoy the resort, room type, and area very much. The resort isn't as clean and manicured as usual and you can see signs of an aging resort. However, the 3 bedroom room that we stay in is great and we love the layout for family use. We are very comfortable. The resort has added free dvd movie rentals with every room throughout your stay (it's similar to Redbox except free). The staff must love working here because we have seen the same employees year after year. They have a great gym and good workout classes if you're up to it. They offer a variety of activities to keep your 10 and younger active. If you have young children I recommend the bottom floor of either the Napili or Lahina towers as it allows the kids to run out onto the large grass area in front of the room. The rooms have everything in them to make you feel like you are home except food. Regarding food, our routine is to fly in, get car (expect a line for this as the car rentals are all slow. We have tried all of the car rental companies and they all take forever in Maui at the Kahalui airport location). We then drive to Costco, which you pass as you are leaving the airport. It has most everything you need. Then we stop at Safeway (map Safeway near me to get there in 5 mins. after leaving Costco) to get our smaller items that you can't get at Costco. Just remember, even though Costco sells bulk and too much for a 1 week stay, it is still usually less then the smaller option at Safeway.
Marriott does have a donation tub at the bottom of each Tower for your unopened goods to be donated to the local charities when you leave. When you check in the hotel has cold storage for your items until your room is ready. Also, pack a swim suit for the kids in your carry on luggage so they can start enjoying the pool while waiting for the room. Check at the desk at the entrance of each tower for any boogie boards or water toys left by previous visitors. We never rent or buy them as we always find many during our trip. You have to be quick though because people know when they see them to just take them from the drop off area. Even if you are heading out. Stop, take the item back up to your room and head out again.
I recommend Marriott. Even with the less then perfect grounds you can't go wrong!

Room Tip: Read notes above for room suggestion.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Debi C
Vista, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

Just wanted to take a moment and comment on the negative review(June 14) sent in by another Marriott owner who among other things complained about the 30 minute time limit placed by staff on any unoccupied poolside lounge chairs. As an owner my wife and i stay at this resort for 2 weeks every other year. Our next trip is coming up in October and we can't wait! We love everything about this resort but there is one issue that has really bothered us. As our unit looks out over the gorgeous pool area I'll start in the early am. Just after the staff begin to bring out and place all of the lounge chairs around the pool area, within minutes guests will begin to place their towels over the chairs, leave, have breakfast, coffee go for a walk or whatever and expect that these chairs will be waiting for them upon their return. As the morning progresses more people and families begin to arrive looking around for chairs that have not been previously reserved (towels). This dance continues to go on all day, to the frustration of many, myself included. On a previous vacation my wife and i were enjoying one of the smaller pools to the north of the resort. We lounged around the pool for at least 45 minutes speaking with a few of the other guests who were on their chairs. We had previously noticed 4 unoccupied lounge chairs (with towels) to the side. We asked the other guests if they had seen anyone using them and they said they had not. My wife and I moved two of the towels placing our own and began to enjoy the view. That is until the dad, mom and the daughter with her young child showed up and wanted their chairs back. I explained to them the time limit the resort places on reserving chairs, and by ignoring that you are precluding others from their use. Anyway words were said between us making myself, wife and others around us somewhat uncomfortable. Bottom line was we didn't move and they did their best to stare us down while sitting off to the side of us. I applaud Marriott's staff as it appears they are beginning to enforce the policy of allowing 30 minutes of unoccupied use of the chairs allowing so many others to enjoy the pool and outdoor areas. Having said all of that I did notice that on our last trip in Nov of 2012, staff was beginning to remove more towels on empty chairs than I had noticed in the past. Although you will never be able to please everyone I sincerely believe that the needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
14 Thank Michael B
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We visited the Ocean Club 5 years ago. At that time we had a room in the newer towers that included a full kitchen.

This visit was a short one. Only 2 nights and we stayed in the older units which had a kitchenette. I was a little worried about not having a full kitchen but we made it work for our stay.

I love this hotel. We can never make up our minds about staying on south or west side so we split up our visits! The room was very clean. The staff were great. The grounds are wonderful.

The pools are great. Our son had a blast. We also enjoyed the beach area even though it wasn't a large beach area by the hotel.

I also thought it was great that they included free movie rentals with our room. We used that a few times for our son. I also used the laundry room which was great to wash up clothes/swim suites before our flight back.

I only had one problem during our stay. I bought groceries BEFORE I saw the fridge in the room! The freezer section is small and flat. I got a gallon of ice cream and it wouldn't fit. Thank goodness they had a flat storage container in the room. I transferred ice cream over and it fit in freezer. But if you have of the units with a kitchenette be very careful when you buy frozen food since there isn't much room.

I would return to this hotel in the future. I have stayed at the Hyatt, Honua Kai and the Westin Kaanapali Villas. If you want to stay in Kaanapali and be walking distance to restaurants this would be my first choice for a condo with space.

If you want a condo with more space and a LARGE lanai, I would recommend going north some and renting at Honua Kai. But only if you don't have a room facing mountains.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank Lvtolvlife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers? Share your experiences!