“Terrible Security!!!!!!”

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed July 26, 2008

My husband, myself and my 3 girls stayed at this property from 7/17-7/24/08. We felt the security was AWFUL! The 2nd day of our trip I found 4 service people in my room. They said that they were doing a service call. It turned out that they need to FUMICATE my room for ants. My room needed to be sealed off for one hour and a half. Then the 3rd day of our trip, I came back to my room in the late afternoon just to find my room door wide open. the was no one in the room. I called security and it turned out the housekeeper left my door OPEN ALL DAY LONG!!!!!! We had problem after problem with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2008
11  Thank notsohappy5

Reviewed July 19, 2008

This was a decent deal for a 1 bedroom at a Kaanapali beachfront hotel ($2000 for 7 nites; no extra parking charge). The rooms are fair sized with a nice King bed in the bedroom and an awful sofabed in the living room. Most, if not all, units have a mini kitchen which includes a small fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, dishes and utensils, but no stove. There are numerous barbeques scattered throughout the property. Nice set of pools, friendly staff, choice location. But this is a big property so it can get crowded around the pools. There's a videogame room but it's barely adequate. No ping pong, pool, shuffleboard, horseshoes or tennis. Since this is primarily a timeshare property, much of the choice space is devoted to selling other timeshares. So the best part of the lobby is a big timeshare sales office. The same is true for the beachfront and pool level, which has a second sales office. Beware of rooms in the Lanai tower with a mountain view. You'll be located above the loading dock, so it can be noisy late at night and early in the morning, and all during the day. We love leaving the doors open in Hawaii to enjoy the tropical air, but it was way too loud.
The Marriott doesn't have the ornate lobby or nice restaurants of a Hyatt or even the Westin, but overall a pretty nice place if you need a 1 bedroom to sleep 4.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank RandyandKaty
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Stayed at the Ocean Club, Family of 4 through Marriott Vacation club Exchange June 2008. Alot has been written about this location and will only comment on things not mentioned
by others. First, this is a long trip from the East Coast, went
Via Phila, to Phoenix, Maui via US Airways. To my surprise
no problems with flights or connections. Leave 1-2 days
early 7-10 days to give yourself time to adjust to time
schedule if possible. Traded my three bed unit in the
Carribean for a 2Bed/3bath unit, with limited kitchenette
in the Lahaina Tower Mountain View, although the check in
desk called it a "Garden View". Frankly, if you get a high
up Mountain view I think it is as nice as an Ocean View/
because the Western Maui Mountains with the changing
cloud patterns are truly beautiful, so don't despair.To clarify
what these older units are like: which I had trouble figuring
out from the trade. They are hotel rooms linked together i.e
lock off type arrangements. Our three rooms were large
and the 3 full baths werea plus. On the downside , I am
used to a Full Kitchen/Laundry, etc at my home resort, so
the limited kitchen was a minus for us. However, we did
have two mini-refrigerators, one in the main "living room"
and another small kitchen in the master Bedroom", so
we definately used both. There is a slit space for the"freezer"
but we made do. There are ample plates, cooking utensils,
microwave, dishwasher, blender, toaster with some start
up supplieswhen you arrive. Three TVs for the kids and DVD.
The feel is more like a "Very Big Hotel". However, the two
newer towers one completed, and one under construction
are far better, and I would insist on this for a trade if I am to return.
The unit looked like it had been newly redecorated. Check-in
was so so, room not ready until 5:00PM, There is a distance
to walk from the self park garrage to your tower which is
bit of an inconvenience, but you can pay for valet parking
$12.00/day. No greetings with Lais when we arrived on Sunday
but looks like they only do this on Saturday arrivals, so my kids
were a little dissapointed. The pool system of slides, caves,
etc is really nice for the kids. The lounge chairs fill up quickly
and it got a little crowded. The beach was a big dissapointment.
The surf was strong and there was very little sand to stretch out
on between the grass and the water. We are used to the
much wider beaches in Jersey and frankly, the beaches, snorkeling, calmness, clarity of the water are far better in the
carribean.But if you are a surfer, this is the place to be. They
said the beach frontage varies depends on the time of the year.
I used the outdoor gas grills to cook on, which alot of other
familes who go there every year seemed to have down to a
science I like the idea of the famiily that took their portable George Forman grill to cook on in their room. It was a bit of a pain to haul your food, utensils, and felt like college days??
etc up and down the elevators to your room, but
you will meet friendly people at the grill who will share the
space with you. For the size of the complex, they should
at least have another laundry room or so in each tower.
I felt a little strange walking through the lobby with my
laundry basket, but again I am used to a washer and dryer
in my prior Marriott Units, but everyone does this, so you
will feel right at home. The plusses: There is so much
to do and see for families, and with a car we went to little
towns like Pai for dinner, "Milagros Food company"-Mexican/
Spanish cuisine was fabulous. So venture out from the
Kanappali area. If you eat at the hotels or in the surrounding
area it is expensive, but Lahaina Farms, and Safeway were
a convenient short drive for breakfast and lunch groceries
if you choose to eat out for dinner. We took Valley Isle
Excursions to Hana- Definately first class, and Trilogy
Day/Sunset Cruise to Lanai- take it for the sail boat ride,
chance to Snorkel on Lania, but again the surf was
a big issue if you are used to snorkeling in calm waters.
Their dinner was quite good, and the sunset return was
a highlight. I would definately return to Maui again in 3-5 years
and would definately want an equivalent trade in one of
the newer full Kitchen 2-3 bedroom units in the newer
towers especially if you have kids with you, but the
beauty of the island made up for some of the negatives.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank JERSEYGROWN
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at the Maui Ocean club from 6/22-6/27. We were sent an preview invitation from Marriott because my sister is an owner there. We were given a 1 bedroom unit in the molakai tower , corner unit rm 5020 with a kitchenette (no stove or oven). The fridge was small but worked out. I brought my portable electric griddle because I knew there was no stove. This allowed me to cook eggs, bacon, pancakes and french toast for breakfast. Then grilled cheese, chicken, steak for lunch. I highly recommend bringing one if you plan to cook. They need more lighting in the kitchen area, its a little dark. We had a nice wraparound lanai because we had a corner unit. We had a view of the construction but also a partial ocean view so that was nice. The construction noise was minimal. We were never bothered by it.The BBQ's on the property are few and far between. We always had to stand in line for one. When we first arrived, the bellmen ignored us. We weren't used to that,as we've always had prompt service at any other hotel we've stayed at. We had a few other rude instances with the bellman at this resort, but a few good experiences as well. The front desk staff were always pleasant. The bar and poolside servers were understaffed. We practically had to tackle one to get some service. Also, the drinks were awful. Barely any alcohol and overpriced. Bring your own booze and make your own drinks in your room (they have blenders). Marriott also offers a refillable souvenier mug for $26 that gives you unlimited sodas and ice tea refills during your stay. We chose to forego since we bought 12 packs of soda and kept those in our room. The nearby Safeway has good deals as well as the Costco near the airport. As for the room itself, great size, comfy bed, small bathrooms (but you get two with showers so that's a plus). The exterior is dated. They need to replace the doors and paint the outside. They also need to replace the machines in the laundry room. They are really noisy and old looking. The pool was very nice and the kids and adults alike loved the waterslide. Be prepared to reserve your chairs before 6:00 a.m. if you want shade. Marriott discourages this, but I never saw them enforcing their own "45 min. rule". As for shopping, they had a few different stores to choose from, but Whaler's village is just a 1/4 mile walk down (take the pathway along the beach). Its so pleasant that you don't mind the distance. The timeshare presentation was very little pressure and it was actually enjoyable. We did not buy one yet but are strongly considering it now. The new 2 bedroom units are goregeous, albeit pricey! The beach was unswimmable because of all the rocks and the reef so close to the shore. Even if you are a snorkel enthusiast, its hard to get out there without scraping your knees or feet. Some of our best beach experiences were on the Wailea side of the island. As for parking, be prepared to walk a ways if you choose to self-park. The charge is $6 a day for non-owners. Valet is $15. Given our experience with the valet/bellmen, I'd recommend self-park. Overall, good experience with just a few complaints. Great place for families.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank loriv247
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club using our timeshare. I lucked out and traded an efficiency for a 1br 2bath oceanfront unit in the Lanai tower. They listened when I requested not to be near construction. The room was very nice. It was clean and comfortable and big. The only downside was the Lanai's. There were 2 but they were dirty and didn't have a table so were not ideal to sit out at...but the view of the ocean and the sound of the ocean was fantastic. We were all the way in the back away from the elevators so had to walk the stairs but we were close to the self parking. The pool at this hotel is the NICEST pool area ever! I never swim but went in everyday and under the water falls. The entire pool experience was great and it was nice to walk to Whaler's village for lunch and to other hotels. Kaanapali beach is paradise!

Some favorite things : The Hammock in the shade by the ocean at the Marriott....true relaxation....Banana Bread at Keneau Peninsula on the way to Hana...I always end here. The view is breathtaking..you need to drive all the way down to the very small town. It's worth the trip to go half way up and not all of the way to Hana....Mama's Fishhouse was pricey but really delicious for lunch...... Kimo's lunch salad..it was a teriyaki chicken over salad with an amazing papaya dressing. Yum.....Plantation House had an amazing view..food was pretty good although I didn't love my fish. Sansai the early bird (25 percent off)or the after 10pm 50 percent off and Karaoke is fun....The crab and mango roll and butter fish were amazing. The Gazebo is really good for breakfast and the line moves fast. Best pancakes!! Longboards...the Buffet prime rib dinner was surprisingly good but in general there are better restaurants.

Everytime I go back to Hawaii I come back here (it's my third time) instead of trying another island......I might try Kaui or the big Island next time but would miss the Marriott and Maui :)

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank rottiro
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We just returned from a week's stay in a 2 bed/3ba oceanview unit. I had requested to be on a higher floor, away from the construction in the Lanai Tower and we were pleasantly surprised to be accommodated in a unit that was practically ocean front, on the 8th floor with a gorgeous view overlooking the main pool and the beach. The bedrooms were spacious and everything was clean and well taken care of. The kitchenette is small, no stove, a small fridge, microwave and dishwasher. Small diningroom nook, but it was sufficient. Our 3 balconies were a bit tight, no chaise lounge or regular size table, just a couple of chairs and a small side table.
The resort was not crowded, no need to fight for a chaise by the pool. We tended to go to the newer Lahaina Tower pool, more peaceful and plenty of space on the lawn under the palms overlooking the ocean. No drinks and food service at that side, occassionally I saw someone being served, but for the most part, you got to get it yourself.
Parking in the garage was tight, especially in the evening when people were coming back from dinner, but the 8th floor and up seemed to have larger spaces and we always found a spot.
We again enjoyed breakfast at the Gazebo (Napili Shores)Restaurant overlooking Napili Beach. Always a long line, but it moves and there's free coffee while waiting. The SeaHouse Restaurant at the Napili Kai Resort has an awesome view and an early bird complete dinner for $ 30 before 6pm. We went on a Wed eve before seeing a great show at 7:30pm. see www.slackkey.com.
Also had a wonderful dinner at the Pineapple Grill.
Checked out the Lavendar Farm out by Kula near Haleakala and Mama's Fishouse was great for lunch.
We had a relaxing stay the the Ocean Club, the staff was pleasant and helpful. The beach in front of the resort is not wide and there's coral, but ok for a quick dip. For better swimming, all we had to do is just walk down a bit towards the Westin and it opens up. Black Rock by the Sheraton offers some good snorkeling and the beach is really nice there as well. North Kaanapali Beach on the other side of the Sheraton is awesome, the clearest, most gorgeous water and perfect sand. For a light appetizer type of dinner, we liked going to the Sheraton and sit on their bar patio at dusk watching the torch lighting ceremony and Hawaiian entertainment (nightly). Ocean Club is is nice place to go back to each evening and sink into their comfy beds.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Cleeclub
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We went and stayed here on an invitation I had received 2 years ago...I felt so happy they honored it and once I saw the room I was even happier!

We had a 1bd/2bth room with OCEAN VIEW on the 4th floor in one of the older towers. Room was clean a little outdated but comfy all the same.

We were not required to attend the timeshare introduction but choose too so we could get the 100.00 resort credit. After the 50.00 I had already gotten upon arrival it paid over HALF of our room tab....and believe me we charged almost EVERYTHING to the room. We ate at the little cafe place on site pretty much every single day. The resort has an option of purchasing a coffee mug w/ lid for 24.95 (26.95 by the time we left) which gives you unlimited drinks for the duration of your stay.

The resort itself was wonderful. I have no complaints they even had a complimentary room available for people who had later flights and wanted to still lay out by the pool. Big room w/ common area and private bathrooms w/ showers....but because of my inablity to tell time we missed our flight and had to stay another night. Marriott gave no discount on any of there rooms for an additional night so we drove over to the south side, Kihei. WE LOVE THAT AREA!!!!!!!!

The location of the Marriott was very very tour est tee versus more of a authentic feel that we got while staying the night on the other side of the island.

Another story for another time I suppose.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Just4Jme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers? Share your experiences!