WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Los Angeles
“Don't be fooled by the lovely pics on the website....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Maybe it was my desire to get back to Hawaii that while browsing for affordable hotels (quite a feat for Hawaii these days!), I got mesmerized by the lovely photos of the units at the Ocean Club. Even though I knew I was not booking a 2 bedroom suite, somehow I fooled myself into thinking I would be getting a beautiful large and new studio unit. My fault!

First, check-in was quite friendly and helpful. They will give you a voucher to go over to the timeshare office (although it's not called that) where you exchange it for a gift. Luckily for me, the lady I spoke to was not high pressure (maybe she thought I couldn't afford it) and when I told her I previously owned at Ko Olina she just gave me a voucher to use at the (pricey) restaurant onsite.

My unit was in the newer building I think (close to the Hyatt) but didn't have any view except for the trees/fence. I was quite disappointed at the size as the unit looked small with them cramming a bathroom in the entryway, small kitchenette (no stove, just a microwave, min-fridge and sink), king bed and small sitting area into one space. Again, I had fooled myself into thinking it would be bigger from the website pictures so maybe it was partly my fault but the furnishings inside seemed worn/tired and not much better than any Holiday Inn. I guess the building wasn't that new after all.

Pluses for this property include one of the lower (shhh....don't tell them so they'll raise it!) resort fees on the island (which included parking and wifi); nice pool areas (at least 3 to choose from), a decently large fitness center (overlooking the main pool area) and a Starbucks onsite (in fact they tout it as the only on in the area I believe). Once again, I was disappointed by the bar staff (see my other Hawaii Marriott reviews!) as it seemed that the women bartenders were friendlier and more service oriented than the men. In fact, one bartender did not give me the advertised discount during one of their "Happy Hours" so I pretty much moved all my drinking/eating to the nearby restaurants in the shopping center just up the beach. You'll find friendlier staff and much much cheaper deals than at the hotel if you're willing to walk over there.

Getting in and out of the property to visit Lahaina and other areas of Maui was quite easy so I'd recommend it if you are spending a few days there (your wallet might appreciate it too).

This was one of those resorts that was chosen more on price rather than amenities etc. Having said that, if price weren't a factor, I would definitely choose somewhere else as the room was not that great and staff (other than check-in desk) needed some more reminders on customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Manico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We love staying at Marriott hotels. The service is usually great and service is exceptional. Not so much here!! There is only one restaurant, so no variety. This place is great for kids under 7, the pool is exceptional for that age group. Our older kids kept sneaking over next door to the Westin to use that pool and slide. DO NOT get sucked into buying a time share! We did and can NEVER get dates we want through time share. I usually just have to book through the hotel to get what I want! It's a great location and villas are clean and kitchen great! No everyday room service which is crazy to me! You can get it for a fee. Do not recommend for single people!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Luvz2Vacation
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

After a few days at the Hyatt next door, we moved to our timeshare week at the Marriott in the original part that used to be a hotel. While not built as a timeshare property (and therefore no full kitchen), everything else about it we love. The pool area is great for the kids and the extra room we have since it is a timeshare unit makes all the difference in the world, especially the extra bathroom. While timeshares are not good as investments, if you use them, they really make a difference in helping to enjoy a great vacation, especially in Hawaii. The only downside is having to jockey early in the morning for chairs during busy vacation weeks.

Room Tip: Put your request in early.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank abounatom
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

As Marriott Timeshare owners, we've come to expect nothing but high quality from Marriott. We just got done with 8 nights at Marriott Ko Olina in Oahu, and came to Maui for 3 nights. The weather was not great, but that was not Marriotts fault. However, the weather caused us many problems with our room, and we were NOT satisfied. The wind was blowing, and both of our sliding doors were howling and whistling. It was so bad, we had to OPEN the door a little, and leave it open for the night, to stop it. We called the front desk, and they sent someone. The guy had no idea what to do, and even asked us. I had to suggest to him that he check the weather stripping. He did, added some, but it did not fix it. He did offer to see if another room was avail, but we were leaving the next day, so we did not feel it was worth the trouble to switch. However, this was something he should have been able to fix, even if he had to call in additional help.

The "Market Place" was not as good as others we've been too. Very limited food/drinks. No coffee, hot snacks, etc. Disappointing. The resort itself was good, nice pool facilities, beautiful beach. So, the resort was probably better then our review makes it sound like, however, our experience this time left a lot to be desired, and that is not supposed to happen with a Marriott timeshare.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakley, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This was a wonderful place to stay as a family. The amenities were excellent and accommodations for families to stay and prepare their own meals was very helpful for those of us on a budget. It allowed us to enjoy more attractions. We loved the whale watching from our room and the resort. Great beach front. Most important for us...great family memories were made in Maui and this place was part of it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan S
Midland, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Spacious, clean rooms. The 2 bathrooms in the one bedroom suite was much appreciated by our family. The sofabed was more comfortable than many we have encountered. There were many extended families staying here due to the spacious rooms and lovely pool area. We only had a few concerns. Some of the bath towels were very linty and left threads on your skin when drying off after a shower. We wished there were more chairs around the pool. We saw "Grandpa-Grandmas" out very early in the morning placing towels on 4+ chairs to save for their families which made it difficult for the other guests to find chairs. Rules about children and use of the whirlpools were not enforced. Families with small children should be aware that the beach here tends to be rougher water and has some coral. Chairs for the beach must be rented. You can go further down the beach for better swimming.Overall, we felt that we Marriott has a beautiful, relaxing property and you get a lot for your money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MICritic55
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my first time to Maui, and first time using our timeshare since we bought it 6 years ago.
We we in a lockout or what I would call a studio. It was warm and inviting, and we had an oceanfront room in the Napili Tower. for the two of us it was perfect. and a nice place for downtime as I had broken my foot a couple weeks before the trip. folks were very accommodating, and the location was great. a few minutes from Whalers village. Did I mention we saw whales from the balcony.. so cool!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple