“Enjoyed the Mahana”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Chicago
“Enjoyed the Mahana”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

The hotel is in a nice location and has well sized rooms. The view from your room will be right on the ocean and the sunsets are gorgeous. Please be warned that the beach near the hotel is below par and the area is extremely windy.

The service was above average, but not as friendly as the ResortQuest we stayed at in Oahu. They are still good.

The bathroom was not designed well and needed to be cleaned better. My wife is obsessive about this, but I agreed with her and I am your typical guy. For some reason, we did not sleep as well in this hotel. We think it was related to the pillows, but this is probably different for everybody.

Good hotel, good value, and good location adds up to a good hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank Andy Greenwald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2006

We stayed at the Mahana in March and were there with over thirty-five of us altogether. After a disasterous trip over (missing luggage at the airport,cars sold out at the airport, getting lost for hours trying to find the place! etc.) When you are looking for the place look for The Mahana not Resort Quest Mahana, which is what we were looking for. We were happy to see oceanfront rooms for everyone. Front desk staff, Karen was very friendly and accomodating when I arrived. I wished we'd have known ahead of time that beach towels are provided. We were impressed with the service from the concierge, Jennifer. The next morning, she was a huge help in retrieving lost luggage from the airport as well as organizing all of us on our excursions etc. We had a big group with a lot of demands and some unhappy people, but Jennifer was very patient, calm and organized. She gave us great tips and saved us some money.
We went to the Luau at the Hyatt - alot more people that we thought but the food and show was pretty good. The Mahana has no restaurant but there are a few nearby - good dinners within a five minute drive at Seahouse, The Plantation Restaurant and WM, a restaurant across the street.
Do:
Whalewatch from your balcony - don't need to pay for a trip.
Molokini Four Winds snorkel in the morning not in the afternoon - our two and three-year olds had fun with lots of other kids on the boat and enjoyed the glass bottom area.
Lanai Sunset Day with Trilogy, the best experience - lots of room on the boat, whales, dolphins and great food!
Breakfast at Grandma’s In Kula on the way to the Tedeshi Winery.
CJ’s Deli nearby for inexpensive great home cooking and burgers!
Horseback Riding at Piiholo Ranch.
Sushi at Sensei Restaurant in Kapalua.
Save shopping for a day in Pai’a or Makawao - colorful little artists towns.
Overall a great experience and we’d definitely come back to the Mahana.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2006

We stayed at the Mahana for 7 nights. We rented from a private owner, so I'll just be reviewing the hotel. The staff was great, and the grounds were very well kept. The view was out of this world. We usually saw whales every morning. The view out the door to the elevator was great too! The whole place was VERY clean.

The wireless internet was weak though. It didn't work very well. About 50% connection and it would drop you every 5-10 mins. The reception was better by the pool, and it only worked on the balcony. We were on the 10th floor, it might be better on lower floors.

There is beach all the way south to the black rock, and there is a pathway in the back of the black rock to get over to the hotels on the other side. The Mahana is approx 1 1/2 miles from the black rock via the beach. I'm sure during high tide there may be one place you'd have to get your feet wet. Otherwise it is fine. A few runners on the beach. Tried that, and it was fun. The beach is on quite an angle and it was a tough calf workout. :)

The beach in front is unusable due to the reef in the water, but the portions just south and north are great. We only stayed on our beach 2 times our whole trip. Once just south of the mahana, and then another time in front of the Embassy.

Oh, Yoga at Kaanapali shores with Ava on Monday/Fridays at 9am, was great!! She charges $15 for 1 1/2 hours. You can use the gym at Kaanapali Shores for $10 too. It's okay as far as hotel gyms go. I've seen better and worse.

Also, it is VERY easy to get to the other resorts via the beach or the sidewalk. We ate breakfast in the condo watching the whales every morning, but did go to the embassy one day for lunch. Actually had decent food/drinks at the pool side cafe. I had one of the best mahi mahi sandwiches of the trip there. Drinks were good too.

The location was great. We jogged on Lower Honoapiilani. There is a sidewalk for about 2 miles out then you can run on the road. It doesn't have heavy traffic. There is nice shade on the road too. Our best running was on that road.

We really enjoyed our time at The Mahana. We'd stay again.

16 Thank jowood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2006

All of the good things that you've read on previous reviews are accurate. I consider myself a well-traveled individual and I would grade the condo as pretty nice. The staff gave me a great feeling about my choice of lodging...Extremely friendly and interested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible. We ended up staying here for our honeymoon due to the flooding on the island of Kauai and I couldn't have been more pleased. It helped that they heavily discounted the rate. Can't say that that will happen to everyone, but it's nice that they did that for us since we already lost out on $1,300 for our accommodations in Kauai.

Some have discounted the quality of restaurants in the area...don't be discouraged. Check out David Paul's and Mala's in Lahaina, the Pineapple Grill in Kapalua Bay and Mama's Fish House in Aina. All of them are a bit spendy except Mala's but they're worth it. If you're up for fish tacos, check out Leilani's in Whaler's village. I'm no connoiseur of fish tacos but these are the best I've had. Not fried.

Stayed March 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2006

While in Maui we stayed one week in Kihei and one week at the Mahana and when we go back we will spend our entire time at the Mahana. There was no comparison in condos and not much more money. The view is beautiful and to watch the whales everyday was something I will never forget. We stayed in 409 - 2br - and way bigger
than our house and way nicer. The kingsize bed was so comfy and to listen to the ocean while in bed was great. We also looked at a 1 br - 1006 which was beautiful - we will definately ask for those rooms next time. The staff were great and we even played night tennis. The pool was nice, the beach was great - nice to go for walks. We brought our 7 month old and she loved it. We would definately recommend the Mahana.

Stayed March 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

We had reservations at the Mahana from 30 Dec - 2 Jan as part of our honeymoon. The hotel had a policy that reservations during this time must be cancelled by the 23rd. Unfortunately, my husband was hospitalized and it was determined on the 23rd that he could not take the trip. I alerted the Mahana's booking agent by 9:30 a.m. on the 23rd that we need to cancel. They wanted the hospital's verification, which I sent. In spite of these circumstances, they still charged us almost $400, and it took them this long to make that determination. I asked them to reconsider, or at least offer a credit for a future stay, but they refused. Please think twice about a place that does business like this.

28 Thank Out_I_Go
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

TripAdvisor
I used Tripadvisor.com extensively to make my decision as to where I would stay during my vacation in Maui. What the majority of people have said about the Mahana is very true. The building is very clean and the employees are very pleasant. My wife and I stayed in Studio #1202. This is the top floor and has a spectacular view. The room was very clean and modern looking. Wireless internet access is available to all rooms. The antennas overhang from the roof, so the best reception is from your balcony. Sitting on the balcony with a cup of Maui coffee surfing the net and checking email suited me just fine. Parking is free and they even have a spot with a hose to spray off your rental vehicle before you return it. Everything was awesome. I can't think of any cons. Of course there is a reef in front of the building which prevents you from swimming, but about 120 yards to the left is an awesome sandy beach. Keep walking (to the left)about 1/2 mile until you are in front of the public beach park and you'll find an awesome snorkeling spot.

Buy the book Maui Revealed...it is a great tour guide.

17 Thank mauiman00