“Loved the condo”

Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
“Loved the condo”
Reviewed October 19, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 5 day trip to Maui. We loved the Mahana. Next time we will plan on staying much longer. Our one bedroom oceanfront suite was incredible. It felt like a real home. The kitchen was outfitted with all you'd ever need. There was a grocery store and shops within walking distance and a Safeway within easy driving distance. We did our own cooking and meals except for a couple of special nights out. Maid service was great, air conditioner worked really well, and we loved the sound of the ocean lapping on the beach as we fell asleep each night. The staff was always courteous and very helpful. The pool water was a little chillier than we were used to, since we are from Texas and the wind really blew a lot. Some renovations were in progress on the units on the far end of the resort, but this did not cause us any problems or inconvenience. We would certainly consider returning to this resort in the future.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank looceejane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Indonesian first
Fremont, CA
Reviewed October 15, 2005

I gave it one dot only because I couldn't give it a 0. First off, the management does read and respond to these reviews, as we found out. I've read a few reviews from unhappy vacationers that the management responded to, so I thought the vacationers were a rare exception to a usually nice stay. Well, I found out I was way wrong.

My wife and I came here for part of our honeymoon - 4 beautiful nights in Maui. Maui was great, but this hotel was horrible - from the rooms, to the management. The management even lied to us. Let's start with our first night there. They knew we were on our honeymoon, yet the management decided to put us in a room where they pushed 2 twin beds together to make a king size. My wife slept about 2 hours that night because she kept falling in the crack. This crack was in addition to the horrible creaking from the headboard that maintence said "there's nothing that they can do to fix". So, the next morning, we switched rooms. Don't get me worng, the views from these rooms were amazing...but not worth this hastle. When we went to the front desk, they blamed our travel agent on them giving us this room because "they can't guarantee a certain room". They knew we were on our honeymoon. Why would you push 2 twin beds together for honeymooners? Our next room, was the same room type (a studio) and it was enough. The rooms had everything we needed, but....they were remodeling the room next to us. It wasn't the noise...we went snorkeling in the morning of our last full day there and we were going to a luau that night. We wanted to come back to the room to relax between the events. That must of been our mistake. They were painting the room next to us and the fumes were coming right into our room. Right into it. I called down to the front desk and they simply told me to open the door on the lanai. Brilliant solution as the odor got worse. My wife and I got raging headaches from the fumes. I called the front desk again - keep in mind that their only solution to this was to open our patio door. This time, they told us they would call up tp the next room. 20 minutes later, I call the front desk again. What's going on? Well, nobody in that room answered - SO THEY DID NOTHING ELSE. We wanted to take a nap and relax but we couldn't because the paint fumes were so bad that they guy doing the painting had to leave the room every 5 minutes. We went to the front desk and they told us that there was nothing they could do because they can't stop people from remodeling their condos. How can there be nothing for them to do? Finally, after arguing with the front desk for 15 more minutes, they finally got the manager to call back. My wife talked to the manager and they finally reached an agreement - they would move us - into our 3rd room in 3 nights so far - and comp us the room on our last night if we stayed there our last night. So that's what we did because we didn't have much more time to relax before our luau. Well, half an hour into our relaxing, the manager calls up to our room and asks us if we've found a new hotel yet. What about our agreement? She also blamed us for opening the door to the lanai to air out the room as her front desk attendant told us to do. Well, she refused to comp us the room or do anything else for us. We were both furious. They lied to us. My favorite thing about the place was when we left. If you're remodeling every single room in the place, why not do it a floor at a time? Oh, and by the way, the reason the paint fumes were so bad in our room (I found this out on the way up to our next room) is because they were painting right outside our air intake for the AC.

In short, don't read the management responses - they lie. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, and they ruined 2 nights and a day of our honeymoon. Their front desk staff was horrible with customer service. They call to the room that is being remodeled because my wife is high on paint fumes and do nothing else? We have 3 rooms on our 4 night stay and they don't offer to comp us. Oh, and we had to fill out more paperwork with them when we checked in than we did when we got our marriage license. They lie, their customer service is horrible, and I feel sorry for any person that has to stay there. There's much better on Maui - don't waste your time or your money.

• Stayed September 2005
43 Thank dgs146
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed October 12, 2005

After reading many reviews on this site and driving myself nuts, we chose the Mahana and were not disappointed. The views are unbelievable and the price was very good. We rented a 1 BR 2 BA direct from owners. The unit is completely remodeled very tastefully done with granite kitchen and bathrooms. Looked brand new. We woke up looking at the ocean in bed (unit 1017). If I was looking for a condo again, would definitely rent this one but we had such a great time, we ended up purchasing a timeshare! The only negative about the condo for the kids is the pool is just ok, but they had the beautiful ocean so who needed a pool!

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank Potari
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

We stayed at the Mahana the first week in October 2005. The construction noise is terrible. We did not use the Lanai in the morning because we had scaffolding rope hanging in front of it. Our rental car was hit in the parking lot while we were in the room. A witness said it was a construction truck. Thank goodness we had taken out the extra insurance for the car. We had to spend about an hour filling out paperwork at the rental car company. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

My husband and I stayed here over a week for our honeymoon in November '04 and LOVED it! It was affordable, had a spectacular view and the staff was great. We awoke each morning to a beautiful view from our lanai. It's in a convenient location too, and there's a fabulous restaurant across the street (Java Jazz) for breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. Don't stay anywhere else- can't beat this view for the money.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indiana
Reviewed October 8, 2005

We stayed in room#1116 for 15nights and had a wonderful time. The unit we had on this trip was fantastic. I have read many posts referring to the construction and I can say that in our case it was not an issue whatsoever. We did hear noise 1 time for about 30 minutes, but think about it.....we are in Maui,things could be worse. I look at it in that if they don't continue to make improvements/mtce then we would find somewhere else to stay. We were also told they plan to tile the pool area and add a hottub so to the owners/boardmembers & all the staff THANK YOU for keeping the place nice. We went to the beaches,snorkeled,went to the Iao needle,blow hole, Warren & Annabelle's,Olivine Pools ,Haleakala as well as many other things and had a great time!! The only negatives we had is that several restuarants service was terrible but again it's Maui so we have no complaints. Take care and be safe.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank rangermax
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed October 7, 2005

We stayed at 512 of the Mahana in Kaanapali from 9/30 to 10/6. We were impressed with the condo and would stay there again when we return to Maui.

Our room was one of the small studio condos. Nothing glamorous but it fit my wife and I just fine. The condo is right on the beach and you are treated to daily sunsets and occasional rainbows.

The pool is small but adequate. The beach immediately behind the condo is not swimmable but you can walk either north a couple of minutes to get to the Embassy Suites' beach or south a few minutes to have your own.

We had quite a few meals from the Star Market across the street. Everything was more expensive than at home, but cheaper than eating out all the time. There are no restaurants at the Mahana but you can walk to the Embassy and use theirs if needed. We had drinks over there. I'd recommend the Lava Flow but not the mai tai. As noted by others, there is no easy path to the Embassy so we walked on the beach to get there.

Nearby we ate at Pizza Paradiso which was good and Java Jazz which was not that exciting. (slow service and the Thai chicken was bland).

We felt it is in the perfect location because it is not too crowded but still only 10 minutes from Lahaina. It is a longer drive to get to the road to Hana or Haleakela but worth it to us. We were near the action but also in a quiet location.

The staff was friendly. We had cable tv in our room (okay, mostly just important for Sunday morning NFL games).

Overall, a very nice experience and we would recommend The Mahana to others...

Stayed October 2005