“Unbeatable ocean views!”

Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
San Francisco
“Unbeatable ocean views!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our second long stay at the Mahana and it did not disappoint. From the 11th floor in our standard-rate studio, we could look straight down at the clear ocean and see the turtles grazing by the shoreline, the coral reef and once, a 7 foot white-tipped reef shark passing through. In the morning from our breakfast table on the lanai we got our daily surf and stand-up board show from the early-rising athletes. We could leave the patio door open all night and listen to the surf. We really appreciated the full kitchen and the in-suite washer/dryer. Other advantages: So quiet we never heard another guest, a short beach-walk from Duke's Restaurant where delicious dinners could be had for under $15 from their "casual menu" at the bar overlooking the ocean. Small Irritants: The added $15/day "resort fee" and the fact that we had to wash and dry our own beach towels. BUT, The Maui newspaper said that the 2013 average daily hotel fee in Maui was $278; by that standard, we paid less than average even with the resort fee and got much better than average value. I am a conservative critic; my husband would probably give the Mahana 5 stars.

Room Tip: Every room has a knock-out view of the ocean; the lower floors (below 6th) look thru the palm trees...
3 Thank whachmacallit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Indonesian first
ON, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We (my husband and I) stayed at the Mahana twice this year (April and October) - both times for 2 weeks, and had great stays each time. We were really happy with the condos - the location, quality of furnishings and decor, and of course, the views!

We like how well maintained the complex is, the privacy of the lanais and how quiet the place is in general. Not a lot of families with children stay here (probably more during school holidays). During our October trip, our daughter and her family stayed next door at Honua Kai (they wanted better pools for the children and a swimmable beach out front) ... it was a great combination as we got the views that we love, and it was easy to walk between the two resorts. We don't mind walking an extra few steps to go into the ocean; you can't swim right in front of the Mahana due to rocks/coral close to shore, but there's easy entry at either end of the complex, and great snorkelling about 200 feet out front of the Molokai Tower. The ocean was so warm in October that we didn't use the pool for the entire two weeks, although we've enjoyed it on other trips.

Our stays have been on the 3rd, 6th, 10 and 12th floors and I liked the 3rd and 6th floors the best because I prefer to see more of the beach and closer ocean views from the condo - there is a chance that you'll have some palm trees blocking part of your view on floors up to 6 or 7, but we're OK with them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan M
Oak Lawn, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

As you read this review, keep in mind that I am someone who really expects to enjoy a vacation that I have saved for so long to take. That is why I chose Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. Most reviews on here are fantastic and it truly seemed like the best choice for us. I also read a few reviews that talk about some pretty bad experiences, but I went for it hoping that we would get one of the "good" units. This place has one absolutely fantastic thing going for it, and that is the same thing everyone agrees on: the view. It's as great as many other buildings along Kaanapali Beach and deserves the praise that it gets for that. Other than that, though, I couldn't hate this place more. I want to enjoy it here and I am trying so hard, but the noise around here is mind-numbing. We are in unit 113, which is in the worst spot for foot traffic possible, right at an entry from the lobby and parking lot. There is an automatic door literally 3 feet from the units door that opens no less than hundreds of times per night, and being the light sleeper that I am, I'm waking up almost non stop. On top of that, the walls seem to be very thin. The person or people above us sound like elephants and the chairs constantly screech across the floor. And then there's the water that seems to run very loudly whenever a toilet is flushed somewhere above our unit. Unit doors are constantly slamming. It's very consistent and I will try to get a different unit tomorrow, in hopes of at least avoiding a couple of these issues for the remainder of our stay. If you cherish peace and quiet, I advise you to look elsewhere. I would not stay here again. If I do, I'll be sleeping on the lawn in front of the building.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Joe S
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for having chosen the Mahana for your stay here on Maui. We are sorry you were not happy with your first unit due to it's location but are glad we were able to move you to a different Aston unit here where you were comfortable. Many guests very much enjoy the first floor as they can walk right out onto our beautiful lawn area where they can enjoy the same spectacular oceanfront views enjoyed from everywhere on our property. We very much hope you enjoyed the fully equipped kitchen and washer/dryer in your unit as every unit here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali whether studio, one bedroom or two bedroom features these for our guest's convenience.
We very much enjoy the opportunity to hear the impressions of all our guests, as you mentioned almost all are very positive, but will use any concerns brought up to continually improve our service levels so every guest goes home with unforgettable memories of their time here.

Mahalo, Brian
Edmonton
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was my first trip to Maui and it was wonderful!!! We chose the Aston Mahana because it was located on the beach and reasonably priced. We were not disappointed! The ocean front views alone made this condo worth it!! Waking up in the morning with the ocean right there (you can see the ocean from your bed as well as marvel at palm trees swaying in the breeze)!! I've travelled a fair bit but I've never been this close to the ocean in my room!! You can hear the waves at night and gaze at the stars...very romantic! The room was equipped with a washer, dryer, and dish washer which made it easy to prepare meals. There are two grocery stores within walking distance so we would stock up on breakfast items and snacks, There are barbeque grills by the pool for those who are interested in grilling their food! The only thing I didn't like about the condo is there is no restaurant or snack machine on site 24 hours. There is a guy who sells hot dogs and burgers along with snacks during the day but we arrived at 12 midnight and there was no where to grab a bite within the hotel. Make sure you check out Duke's, an excellent restaurant at the neigbouring resort!! There's also a beautiful beach walk if you go through the "gate" to access Duke's so check it out!! The rooms are a bit dated but given that you are out all the time, it doesn't really make a big dfference. Parking is included which was great! There is a $15 fee per day if you want newspaper, wifi and coffee/tea combination. Overall, we had a great experience and I am looking forward to visiting another Hawaiian island soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoseyEdmonton
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 16, 2013

After staying in Kaanapali 3 times prior, we decided this trip to stay at the Mahana. The prices for an oceanfront room and positive reviews were what attracted us to this property. Also, a resort fee is standard for all hotels in this area so the $15 vs. $25 per day was also positive.

We initially booked a "standard oceanfront studio" which turned out to be very dated. My one complaint about this property is I do not feel that this was well represented on their website. The room had popcorn ceilings, dated furnishings, a poorly repaired iron burn in the center of the carpet, and the bed was a double (not the advertised queen). The hotel staff the next morning was very accommodating to let us see several different "premium oceanfront studios" which was much, much nicer and worth (for us) the extra $30 per night price. The updated room had a very open feel with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and new furnishings.

With that being said, the number one reason to stay here (which has been mentioned in several reviews) is the view. It is breathtaking! The ocean stretches as far as the eye can see. You can clearly see the island of Lanai and Molokai from your patio. We were able to see sea turtles everyday. We also saw spinner dolphins and several schools of fish.

Positives:
* view, view, view!
- good prices
- nicely appointed "premium" unit (kitchen, washer dryer, etc.)
- friendly staff
- nice BBQ space
- great beach access
- easy of parking
- proximity to local's farmer market, grocery shopping, coffee shops

Negatives:
- standard rooms
- small pool area
- no food options available after 5pm

Overall, we had great time and would stay here again.

1 Thank JKLawson
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've stayed here now on 2 occasions. Our first it we had an amazing 1 bedroom premium suite. It was totally redone and very up to date (218). Great beach area out front, nice quiet pool and hot tub area. BBQ facilities are excellent and there is a very good grocery store within walking distance. Parking is included, wi fi is part of 'resort fee' (a scam in my opinion but that is the way that hotels are going these days).

Fast forward to our 2nd visit. Still,a great place but we we're put in another one bedroom premium suite. Very disappointing. Didn't feel update at all except for the granite kitchen tops and bathroom counters. Old appliances, and furniture outdated. Felt old. Although units are all done by owners, they shouldn't have advertised this as a premium unit. I'd hate to see a standard one. They should give u the option of what units are available and pictures per unit.

Aside from that, we do like this place. Parking, pool, views, beach, BBQ units, quiet. All good things for a vacay. Would still recommend.

Room Tip: I had asked for a specific unit over 6 months ago but they didn't accommodate. If you don't...
1 Thank Kathryn W
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I think Dan, below, moved into room 903 right after we'd left. Our experience was the same: it's an okay room and somewhat dated. With a place like this where each condo is individually owned, some rooms will be great and some will be basic, and you don't know what you'll get until you open the door. Sometimes you get the two-person marble shower like someone else did, and sometimes you get the horrific shiny fish "artwork" like we did.

What you get in every room is a gorgeous view of the ocean, right on the beach. We enjoyed some nice snorkling just south of the hotel, and a terrific view as everyone has so glowingly described.

The hotel's not actually in Kaanapali (or Lahaina), but in Honokowai, about 2 miles north of the big resorts, which was fine by us. Warning, though: it now costs $40 a day to park at Whaler's Village at Kaanapali Beach if you want to drive there. If you take in the whaling museum, they'll stamp your card for a few hours' parking, and the museum is worth it, we thought.

Check-in was overwhelming to me. We'd been driving all day from Hana and had a tough time finding the place after dark even with GoogleMap directions printed out, so I was tired and frayed. Suddenly I was bombarded with things to sign, and coupons for this, and explanations for that, and codes for mysterious gates, and all the while the receptionist was answering the phone, making taxi reservations, and getting interrupted by numerous people walking by who seemed to want to chat her up. I hope that was just an off night becasue it wasn't very soothing or welcoming.

There's no real restaurant in the Mahana; there's a kiosk that serves food until 5 pm.

I used the Maui municipal bus system - there's a stop in front of the pink hotel next door (Kaanapali Beach Club) that picks up at 10 minutes before the hour, takes you to Whaler's Village, where you can transfer immediately to the bus going into Lahaina. Note that you can buy an all-day pass for $4 - the drivers are very secretive about this and I didn't find out about it from them but from a store clerk. The bus system has a web site.

You can walk to the great grocery store near the main highway. We got a good deli meal and ate it on the lanai one night.

All that said, I'd stay here again, but I'd make sure to find a deal on the rate. Also, I can't stand this trend towards "resort amenity fees" (and I wouldn't go so far as to call the Mahana a bona-fide resort, either). For $15 a day here, you get the Maui newspaper, some mediocre coffee to put in the coffee maker, an in-room safe, free WiFi, and the use of DVD movies and a PS3. Let's face it, the paper, coffee, safe, and free WiFi are standard in nearly all hotel rooms these days, and I'm not in Maui to watch movies or, heaven forbid, play video games. If the hotel needs to charge more, then just do it, don't charge me this daily fee for things I don't want or use.

4 Thank Geoviki
DaveMaui, Owner at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali is on Kaanapali Beach. Kaanapali Beach is 2.5 miles long with the Hyatt Regency Maui at the South end and Aston Kaanapali Shores at the North end. Honokowai starts about 1/4 mile North of Mahana, just North of Kaanapali Shores. The dividing line is Honokowai stream which is between Kaanapali Shores and Papakea. Papakea is the first property in Honokowai.
The $15/day amenity fee is actually on the low side compared to other properties. Kaanapali Beach Club and Honua Kai have a $25/day resort fee. Sheraton Maui charges $31/day. Hyatt Regency Maui charges $25/day PLUS $14/day to self park.