“First Impressions”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Bel Air, Maryland
“First Impressions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Arrive last night 9/20/2012 in the dark. Still not hard to find. Love this place. Love the room. Love the view. What is there not to like??? So far nothing!!! Let you know more at the end of the week....

Room Tip: We took a premium studio ... Nothing to not like about it. Room 1212 on the top. Can hear the wave...
1 Thank dbmathison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Indonesian first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having stayed in many neighboring properties on Maui's west side we can say that for condo style rooms the Mahana units are superior to all the rest. One of the few structures built before setback ordinances were imposed the Mahana sits right on the beach. Every unit faces the wonderful view of Lanai and Molokai and a walk on the beach is a few steps away. Parking is ample for those with a car and frequent bus service means you can forgo the car if you stay local.
There is a grocery store within a one minute drive and is easily walkable if you don't carry too many bags. We have stayed at the Mahana over a dozen times and have never been disappointed with the rooms regardless of the floor though the higher the floor the better the view. Rooms are always clean and well-appointed though quality will vary. Choosing a "premium room" on the Mahana website will ensure a very nice unit. We highly recommend the Mahana for an enjoyable stay in Ka'anapali.

Room Tip: Aim for the higher floors and for a couple the 1 bedroom two bath is a great value.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rwist
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were extremely happy with the vacation rental of a 1BR condo at the Mahana at Kaanapali. The first thing you will note is the beautiful view from the condo. We were located on the third floor. We rented through a travel agency. Upon learning that we on the third floor, we were disappointed. However, in seeing the condo we very happy with it! The view, even from the third floor was amazing. The buildings are practically right on the beach and run parallel to the water. There is no craning of the neck to see the water like you sometimes get with an “ocean view” condo. You have unrestricted views of the ocean, and of Moloka’i and Lana’i islands. Absolutely beautiful!

Our condo is managed by Aston. We were told that all units are owned by individuals and not all are managed by Aston. Our unit had been updated with granite countertops, etc and was nicely furnished. With floor to ceiling glass along the front exposure you could enjoy wonderful views from the living area and bedroom. Not all units are updated and they offer different categories. So if you want updated amenities ask for them when you book.

The location on the island is great. You will enjoy being located a short drive from Lahaina. The have a wonderful boardwalk on the property that you can walk on for about 3 miles but don’t try to walk to Lahaina. You run out of area to walk. You are also close to restaurants, grocery stores, and other shopping.

Other great things about the Mahan include the very friendly and helpful staff. The gas grills on the property were very nice. They had an on site concierge that was very helpful in booking tours. The Pacific Whale Foundation snorkeling, Road to Hana and the zip line tours were all fantastic. Warning: it seems customary on the island to be offered a time share presentation in Lahaina in return for tour discounts. It was worth it to us because of big savings on our tours but we don’t have a problem with saying no with a smile to the time share presenters.

Our favorite restaurants on the island: Mama’s east of Paia was amazing. Pricey, even for lunch, but the food was excellent and the setting spectacular. Honu Seafood in Lahaina has great fish and sunset views. Leoda’s just outside Lahaina – great pie. Kamoda Bakery in Makawao – great cream filled long johns. Didn’t get to eat there but Mick Fleetwood has a new restaurant in Lahaina.

Get the right unit and you are likely to have a great vacation stay! Enjoy!

Room Tip: They have different levels of quality based on when the particular unit was updated. I think our un...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TAO5060
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Since I booked my room through priceline, I was skeptical on what Unit I will be assigned at the time of check-in. I didn't want to stay in the room on lower levels due to noice and lack of privacy. I called up Aston property front desk and made a request for a unit on higher level (6th floor and above). They gladly accepted my request. I was planning to cook, so I requested for a premium room. I was upgraded to One bedroom without any upgrade fee. I guess they are out of Studio rooms on that day. I am quite pleased with the way the room was maintained. The room was neat and the kitchen applicances looked new. Be advised that you need to pay a $10 resort fee per day. It was totally acceptable with the level of service they provided. Daily room service, newspaper, and free 2 dvds for rent.

The location of this hotel is a big plus. It is a quite place away from the rusn from the hotels in Kaanapali and very close to some nice beaches (Kaplua, Napili). Time supermarket is just across the street and is open till 2 am.

I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Choose a premium room if you want latest kitchen appliances.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Rented a the premium studio for a week or so. The place as advertised had a great ocean view. I think the door to the balcony was open all week long. The appliances were all reasonable quality. There is a grocery story across the street and plenty of places to eat in the area. Parking was never an issue and is conveniently located. It is a little further away from Lahaina, etc though not too far. I never saw any bugs and the place was clean. No bar access or real restaurants within the facility though it's within walking distance from a Duke's location for drinks and happy hour. I guess if you're renting a condo you probably shouldn't care. Fitness area is through a partner hotel next door though I never bothered checking it out.

The pool area was not very crowded, never had an issue getting a spot. The beach area in front of the hotel is a coral reef so you cannot swim there. You can however walk down the beach slightly and find a location. If you enjoy snorkeling this is a good location for you. Not really the best area for swimming. There are pockets where you can go in to cool off though after snorkeling in the area and seeing the bottom I was worried about stepping on something (sea urchin, etc.) If you don't go out too far the bottom is sandy so small kids are generally fine. There are other areas in Kaanapali that are better for pure swimming out in the waves.

Free coffee, dish detergent, and laundry detergent on a daily basis. The amenity fee covered WIFI access and was lower than many places in the area.

Personally I found the place to be a decent value. It's not as close to restaurants on the beach so you'll probably want to drive to most places. To be honest the restaurants on the beach are so overpriced you'll probably not visit them very often anyway.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the premium room. The carpet looked new and the room was in good shape.
1 Thank Blueshirts27
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

VIDEO of ROOM: http://youtu.be/PMj7Phs54lM
If you are looking for a quiet place to relax with all the comforts of home this is the place. My wife and I looked at the other big name-brad accommodations and while they had very glamorous lobbies and pools the rooms are just hotels rooms. Aston Mahana at Kaanapali is a home away from home. If you are looking to come to Maui and enjoy the island adventures then spend the evening relaxing with one of the best views of the sunset on the island this is the place. The staff was very friendly. When we got there we asked for a room on the highest floor they had available and we got a room on the 7th floor. On our fist day we attended a free breakfast hosted by the local Expedia expert who went over the more popular activities on the island and had special promotions available. The hotel has one pool if you want to take an evening swim after returning from your adventures on the island. There are multiple gas grills so if you feel like grilling something yourself its all free to use. The room has a fully stocked (as in dishes and such) kitchen with range, microwave, refrigerate and dishwasher, oh yea and a blender and toaster. Also a washer and dryer with complementary detergent so don't over-pack because you can wash you clothes in your home away from home. Yea I know some of you might say I don't want to do laundry on my vacation but I am not a fan of hauling around a bunch of luggage, my wife and I like to travel light if possible. We plan on returning to Maui and this is the place we plan on staying again and again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vasile N
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just returned from a week stay here at the Mahana 9-1- thru 9-8. If you are searching for a condo close to the water, facing the water, you will not want to look any further. This place is fantastic for all requirements of a vacation. We stayed in #506, 1 bd., 1bth, kitchen, dining, living rm and a great Lanai for hanging out in which is so private; I basked in the sun in the raw. You are facing the West, and from dawn till dusk the views are out of this planet. I took several pictures from inside the living rm and from the lanai. Should you be interested in any pics, I'd be glad to share them, feel free to send me a request. The service here at the Mahana is so pleasurable, you will be greatly impressed, w/ their customer service.The tourist age group is various, but no loud parting or disruptive, unruly behavior anywhere. You can hang out in so many places, shade or sun, it's very accommodating. Should you hanker for a tropical drink, wine, beer etc. I'm here to tell you it's 1 block away in all directions. There is a store named Times, you'll see it when turning into the resort. It has all of your needs, regardless of what they are, packed into one store.The food on the island is everywhere. Would be glad to make recommendations if requested. Make sure to go to Duke's a block from Mahana on the boardwalk (a must walk at night, it is very romantic) be sure and ask for the gate key to the boardwalk. One might add.....at Dukes.....the fish tacos for lunch and Risotto for dinner are to LIVE for!!!! We have stayed in Maui 3 times out of 6 trips to the islands and the Mahana receives our vote for return.

1 Thank justjo-7