“High end finishing with price to match.”

Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Cold Lake, Canada
“High end finishing with price to match.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We are a family of 5 (3 teens) and said if we ever go to Hawaii we would only stay ocean front and do it up right! We chose this condo because it was ocean front and had read many reports of condos having "insect problems" etc and did not want to have that distract from our holiday , so chose to up the ante and stay up a notch . The property is indeed beautiful and the upgraded units are beautifully appointed. Far greater niceties than you really need for a week in Hawaii! If you like the sound of the ocean every night you will love being this close to the ocean. If you do not. You will hate it. The condo had two bedrooms and pull out couch and claimed to sleep 6. The condition of the pull out rendered it totally useless as a sleeping area and that made the week crampy. The front desk understood but were of no use as there was no cot available . So if you are counting on pull out couch in your sleeping arrangements forget it! For $500 a night you think that would be a given. Once we got past this the place was gorgeous. Saw more whales off our balcony than on boat tour. Safety was never an issue. Beach right in front of condo was great. Close proximity to any and everything we wanted to do. Grocery/convenience stores etc right across road. If money not a bother and only sleeping 4 it is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. Other wise you can shave a lot of money off your stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank coolpoolers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Susan was the concierge that assisted me when I arrived. She was very helpful and friendly, yet after she got my booking was apparently to busy to acknowledge me. I said hello to her in passing a few days later, and she acted as though she didn't know me. She was interested in me when getting my commissions. On the other hand, PJ was fabulous!!!!! He is the weekend concierge, he is friendly, helpful, kind, and always acts as though you are important. If you need concierge, try to wait till the weekend when PJ is working, you won't be sorry :)

7 Thank Andpandi
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Beautiful hotel, wonderful view, friendly staff. We were welcomed right away! Wonderful experience

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My Daughters and I have been to Mahana for the 4th time and it seems to get better and better. Great front desk agents and ffriendly staff. Very clean and great amenitties for what they provide. We well defenitly return. Great for the entire family!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Danh K
Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I went to Hawaii to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were in Hawaii for 2 weeks and spent 5 glorious days at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali.

The drive from the airport OGG (main airport in Maui) to Kaanapali was about 30 to 35 minutes and very scenic. Once we arrived at the Aston Mahana, I was surprised at how non-hotely the lobby felt. The person at the check-in desk was very courteous, and they even gave us a box of maui macadamia nuts because they knew we were celebrating our anniversary. There are no bellhops and you have to take your own luggage to the room, but this was absolutely no problem for us. If you did have a lot of stuff, they do have bellhop carts for you to use.

We got a Premium Studio room, and from the moment we walked in we were swept away with the view! The entire room is floor-to-ceiling windows and the balcony has a glass railing so that you get a full view of the ocean. Don't worry about getting a room with a bad view--all the rooms on the property are oceanfront. The ocean is about 30 to 40 yards away from the balcony!! Even if the glass sliders were closed we could hear the surf break on the shore. So relaxing!

Every time we would look out there would be a different scene unfolding. During the day we might see a snorkler swimming by, then off in the distance would be a white sailboat against the bluest water, and later we would see dolphins!! The view is breathtaking at sunset, seeing the islands off in the distance and the different colors from purple, red, blue, etc. I finally understood why Hawaiian shirts are the colors that they often are--those colors actually exist for you to see.

The ocean is literally right there, although you can't really swim or snorkel right in front of the hotel because of dangerous currents. However, you would just have to walk either 100 yards to the left or 150 yards to the right (if facing the ocean) to get to an area of the beach where you could snorkel or swim. We found that snorkeling to the left was MUCH better than the right.

Snorkeling at Kaanapali is beyond anything that I have ever experienced before. I really thought that I was in a Disney movie and that the fish and sea turtles were going to bust out into song and dance! I also felt this way in Hanauma Bay in Oahu. However, that was at a marine park reserve, and this was just the beach!

Since we had a Premium room, we had granite countertops, newer appliances, premium bedding, etc Everything was beautiful! However, the carpet was very old and worn. It looked dirty and I never wanted to walk barefoot on it, not even while wearing socks.

This was the only place we stayed in Hawaii that had a kitchen, and I found that from now on when we visit Hawaii I only want to stay at a place with a kitchen! Food in Hawaii just tastes better, and it was an absolute joy to be able to cook! I'm not a fancy cook or anything, but just being able to enjoy the sunset while cooking was wonderful. The reason you come to Maui is to enjoy the views and to relax.

We went to Haleakala to watch the sunrise, and it was an amazing experience. I did get a little bit of mountain sickness, but luckily it didn't hit until we were coming down the volcano. It is beyond breathtaking to see the sunrise above the clouds from 10000 feet.

We also did the road to Hana on the Hana Highway. It was something that I'm really glad that I did once, but I don't think that I would want to do it again! It is a lot of hairpin turns and kind of an adventure dealing with people driving like maniacs, but it was very beautiful.

When we return to Hawaii someday in the future, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The location is great, the closeness of it to the ocean is amazing, and the ability to cook (oh, and there is also a washer/dryer) and do a load of laundry all make this the best property we stayed at on our trip to Hawaii.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank qnookie
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My stay at the Aston Mahana was totally wonderful. We are in a one bedroom studio, a little on the small side, but tastefully furnished and clean. The building is as oceanfront as I have ever seen. The views from our balcony are right across to Lanai and Molokai. The sunsets are spectacular. I am enjoying the balcony so much that I am almost too lazy to explore the rest of the island. Would definitely stay at the Mahana again.

West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed in a beautiful ocean-front condo and spent many a morning drinking coffee on the terrace outside reading and listening to the surf. The sunsets were breathtaking and we had the perfect view of Moloka'i. The size of the condo was perfect and we took advantage of the kitchen and ate in several nights to save some money. We had the option of a simple shower or the waterfall showerhead in a whirlpool tub. And to calm down after a busy day we took a dip in the hot tub that overlooked the ocean. Our concierge Susan was absolutely perfect. My mom and Gramma took part in the first morning informational meeting about all the activities on the island and took everything she said to heart. We made a list of everything we wanted to do in our short week in Maui and brought it to Susan who quickly booked everything right in front of us. She was really awesome and had first-hand experience from every activity she was recommending. The only things we weren't 100% satisfied with was the wi-fi. We paid an extra $10/day for wi-fi in our room but it only worked 1 out of the hundreds of times we tried so we had to pay for internet in the lobby. Other than that, our experience was perfect and we had the best trip of our lives. Absolutely stay here; there's no better hotel on the island.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family