“Very disappointed”

Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 14, 2004

For a recent trip to Maui for a family wedding, I researched the Internet for hotels, with an emphasis on those that were well above the norm. From the information I found, the Lahaina Shores Beach Resort met this requirement. However, we found the staff not very friendly or helpful. The distribution of towels and washcloths for our room was chintzy, at best. A requested late checkout was flatly denied. A request to repair a slow draining sink and tub was never done. Their attitude was that they were doing us a favor by allowing us to stay at their property, rather than being appreciative of our business. We had a decent mountain view in the distance, but right across the street looked like poverty-city. Our room was below average with furnishings being old and outdated and no food service on the property at all. Both the room and the hotel, in general are past due for major updating. The property did not closely resemble the pictures we found on the Internet. Overall, we were very disappointed and unimpressed with this hotel and would probably not stay there again nor recommend it to anyone. We give it 2 stars on a good day.

12  Thank TexasSundowner
Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed November 6, 2004

We stayed at the Lahaina shores in October and had a wonderful time. Lahaina shores is not a huge resort with all the thrills but it is a wonderful place to stay. It is were all the action is. After talking to many other visitors at Luaus and other activities they were dissapointed in the distance they had to travel to get any where. So be aware of your location if you plan on alot of activites. If you stay at the shores besure you ask for a Ocean Front room and something on the 4th floor or above. I could see where people would not like the ground floor or a mountain view. From our Lanai each morning we had magnificant sunsets and sunrises. Next to the hotel was a night luau but that ended by 8:30-9:00 so it never interfered with sleep as reported in some reviews. The staff was very helpful and went out of they way to help you. It was great having a full kitchen so you could cook if you wanted or heat something up. You were within walking distance of many activities, during the day or night. Our bed was a wall unit that recessed into the wall during the day so we had alot of space. Each unit is decorated differently as these are peoples condo that they rent out during the year. Don't be afraid to try it out. If we return to hawaii I wouldn't think of staying any place else.

• Stayed: October 2004
8  Thank soccernut
Reviewed October 6, 2004

Just got home 2 weeks ago. Stayed in a 1-bedroom ocean front (bottom floor). Can't wait to go back. Husband wants to leave tomorrow. Management was great, room was excellent. Pay the extra money for the 1-bedroom, you won't be disappointed.

7  Thank Cindy052
Reviewed September 27, 2004

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Lahaina Shores in June 2004 -- this is our third stay at this resort, and it is the only place I know that is as wonderful as I remembered it each time I return!

Lahaina Shores is not only a short stroll to the beach, but also "stumbling distance" to Hecock's Bar and Italian Restaurant right next door. If you have money to burn, The Feast at Lele is a great luau to go to, or you can watch the dancers and musicians for free from Hecock's open windows each night.

Whether you want solitude or romance, you can find both at Lahaina Shores. We slept with the window open listening to the waves all night, then I woke up early and read on the balcony overlooking the ocean while my husband slept in (his idea of fun and excitement).

The hotel staff are helpful and unobtrusive, and always warm and inviting. Our dream is to retire to Lahaina in a Lahaina Shores condo; until then, we will come back at least every other year to visit Paradise.

• Stayed: July 2004
9  Thank Momfawn2
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed September 21, 2004

My girlfriend and to be fiance (so I thought) and I stayed at the Lahaina Shores Resort in April of 2004 for seven days -- IT WAS GREAT. We got a great deal that included a rental car--it beat the competition in the area for what you got. The room was clean and had a great little kitchen. The unit had a great view of the ocean from the third floor. At night, we would leave the door open and listen to the waves crash against the shore. There were a few nights that the noise from the hawaii'n pig roasting (I think they call it a Luau) at the restaurant next door carried over -- but that was okay; we enjoyed the Hawiian spirit and watching the fire throwers from our room.

The beach was walking time from our room; I mean walking out room door and down the stairs. I don't think there is a resort closer to the beach in Lahaina. We did not have much interaction with the staff -- but the interaction we did have was pleasant. You do have to pay for parking; they charge you a daily fee (which seemed to be the same or less than every other hotel in the area) and add it to your room charge. Parking is close, maybe twenty five yards from the entrance to the resort in a covered and gated area. The beach was great -- some people are just too picky when they start whining about the beaches and whether the sand is too grainy, too smooth, or the wrong color! Snorkeling was good there but when the tide goes out the water is shallow and there is a lot of reef. Snorkeling was best on the Molikini trip!

Try not to get trapped into the "time share" presentations and the overpriced touristy things they will try and sell you while on the Island. Just have in mind some things you would like to do and check for coupons and sales for dinner trips or a trip to Molikini. You can keep yourself plenty busy and find plenty of romance without spending hundreds of dollars on a relationship that may be going nowhere.

Cheesburger in Paradise is a fun little restaurant on the water down the street. They had a live band and a fun crowd for a casual night out. Safeway is blocks away so you can pack up on groceries and cook in if you are up to it. So for those of you on a beer budget with champagne taste, I think you will be more than pleased with your stay at Lahaina shores. Even if I had spent the money to stay at one of the five stars, I don't think the atmosphere would have been as good as the one at Lahaina Shores!

Everything went so well, and the resort was great; so, I cannot blame it on the hotel that I found myself twenty five and single two weeks after we got back! I would be happy to send anyone our pictures of Hawaii so they could see the resort and the area....I find myself having not much need for them anymore!

Enjoy your trip to Maui; and remember, its the two weeks after you get home you need to worry about -- not the resort! Aloha!

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2004

PS....IMPORTANT! Privately owned/decorated units explain varying opinions. Get a unit that's been renovated. Everything was bright, clean and new in our unit :)

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California, MO
Reviewed September 4, 2004

Only someone not living the aloha spirit would give the LSH less than 5 stars. My wife and I just spent two weeks there for our honeymoon and it was a dream. If you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and are referred to by others as snobs, then this place is not for you. As a matter of fact Hawai'i and esp Maui is not for you, so do them a favor and stay away, you would be breaking the Aloha Spirit Law (look it up!). Aloha & Mahalo!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Lahaina Shores Beach Resort? Share your experiences!