“Service is over-the-top friendly!!!”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I need to start with the most positive aspects of this place... Service, service, service. I travel all the time, and rarely have I encountered a hotel/resort with this kind of consistent, friendly, helpful service. EVERY person we interacted with during our stay greeted us with a genuine smile and really tried to help -- front desk, maid service, maintenance crews, etc. I cannot say enough good things about how well run this place is.

The beach is fantastic... not overly crowded, but fun... very family friendly for kids of all ages or even just adults. The Whalers Village area and boardwalk were fantastic -- easy access to several good restaurants, lots of beach activities, etc. Even a starbucks a block away on the beach!

We rented a one bedroom condo. Two bathrooms and tons of space. It came with a "den" which was basically a spare bedroom with it's own bathroom. Perfect for the kids. Even though we did not have an "ocean front" the view of the beach and ocean was still good. We were able watch whales with our binoculars every morning. The room even had two brand new LCD TV's, although i don't think we ever turned them on!

The room was clean and neat, and the full kitchen (every pot/pan/utensil you'd need) was nice for the few nights we just needed to chill out. And the resort has eight fantastic BBQ grills for use for free. A "chef" is on staff every evening to help you out with spices, tin foil, and even cooking tips. Those grills were spotless every morning for the next days use.

The only negative comment -- the rooms were "dated"... the cabinets, tile, walls, and furniture was all very old. For such a high-end place I was actually a little surprised at that. But, in the big scheme of all the other positive things about this place, it was easy to quickly overlook this one downside.

As I said, the beach was great... very deep and lots of room. I'm pretty sure this was the busiest weekend of the year and there was still plenty of room on our section of the beach (other parts of North and South with the bigger hotels were a little busier than ours.) Swimming, snorkeling and surfing all right out side your door.

Mauii is amazing. But I left Kaanapali Alii just as amazed by the service. Thank you to every one there for making our stay so great!

Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Tony D

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had we known we would be getting a 2 bedroom suite, we would have invited more to stay with us! There was a full newly renovated kitchen and dining area! it was fabulous! The staff was excellent and the restaurants were great! I must stay for families!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KayKG
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a great place to stay on the beach. We had a large one bedroom condo with den. The den had a full size bed and private bath so it was basically a 2 bedroom unit. Beautifully furnished, everything you need was provided including coffee.
Although we were on the 2nd floor we had a view of the courtyard and the ocean. The pool area is lovely, towels are provided. Next door are hotels with larger pools, our teenagers pool hopped and had a blast.
Service impeccable. Would highly recommend staying at this resort. My only complaint and it's a small one is that because it's not a hotel there is no food or bar service at the pool but you can bring your own from your condo.

1  Thank windycity_773
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Excellent property. We had a one bedroom and our family had two bedroom condo next door. It was a once in a lifetime experience and we wanted everything perfect. It was!! Met our needs from kids (7, 11 and 14 year old) to mid-60's. Barbeques were spotless and afforded us many opportunities to cook for ourselves and avoid expensive restaurant bills. Any problems (which were minor) were resolved immediately. Loved being able to sit/lounge on the beach and watch the kids in comfortable beach chairs. Loved the atmosphere and proximity to Whaler's Village. Would return again.

1  Thank chosen46
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Kaanapali Alii did not disappoint - in fact it exceeded our expectations. This beautiful property is located on the busy Kaanapali beach, however it is an extremely quiet resort. The suites are very spacious and well appointed. There are two pools, one being the "quiet" pool, which was indeed very quiet. The Kaanapali beach is one of the widest stretches of beach in front of the resort. There are beach chairs available for guests of the resort, as well as cabanas available for rent. This is a nice option, as it gives shade, privacy, as well as shelter from the odd rain shower.

The only thing that could be improved is the poor Wi-Fi - there is only one hotspot by the pool, and at times, the connection was unreliable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 739CarlaB
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

If Kaanapali Beach Is In Your Budget Than This Is THE Place. Our Room And View Is Simply Amazing. 2 Bedrooms 2 Baths gourmet kitchen Huge Living Room And Lanai Right ON The Beach. We Are Lucky To Bunk With My Mom and Good friends Otherwise We Would Never Be Able To Stay In Such A Stunning Condo. If You Are TravellIng With Another Couple And Can Afford This Beach Location..Stay Here...For Same Price As 2 Hotel Rooms...You Can Stay In This Luxury condo
My Only Complaint Is Wifi....Not An Option In Room And Very Spotty In The Common Area....But Hey Its Maui And I'm On Vacation So Wifi Not that Important..It Just Would Be nice

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank 4Schus
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family and I, including 2 young kids aged 6 and 4 stayed at the Kaanapali Alii over the last week. Overall its an excellent choice for a family. The apartments are spotless and well maintained, the service is generally good and the location is excellent. The beach is wonderful, although it was a bit rough for the first couple days we were there, but then calmed down and was caribbean like with turquoise warm water. It was also great fun watching the whales from the beach which is unmatched to anywhere I have been before. At the end of the beach there is a sheltered cove by the Sheraton, which offers calmer waters for the kids.

In general, I have 3 complaints of the place and they are

1. Internet wi fi access. It was terrible around the pool and signal was spotty and slow. Also in our apartment, we had no Wi fi as the owner had not got it set up yet. it would have been nice to read an online paper by the pool but that wasnt possible. They had wired access in the apartment, but who travels with their laptop anymore?
2. I was trying to on line check in on my late night flight but was unable to do so 24 hours prior as the internet is 'closed" at 10 pm at the reception. Reception is open, but the internet closes. Don't ask my why, its like technology has yet to dawn on Alii.
3. The need for a more substantial restaurant by the pool that offers comfort food- burgers, wings, nachos, sandwiches etc. The offer cold foods and ice cream, but I didnt see many people using the facilities because they were not that appealing and seemed very expensive.

The pool was average, on the small side, but it was fine. It would be great if Alii would strike an arrangement with a hotel nearby to use their pool facilities for a day, but I guess I am asking for too much.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the complex to families.

1  Thank Ingu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!