“Another Great Stay at the Alii”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I can't say enough about how much my family and i love coming to this place. Yes there are still a few units that are out dated. I have booked through VRBO .com that last couple times. Easy to figure out which unit just look at how many reviews there are. The unit is wonderful, the updated pool and workout room are great. If you like staying in hotels, DO NOT STAY HERE. The people that seem to always complain are the ones that did not pay for the nicer room and like staying in hotels. This is not a hotel. The Alii is a place for you and your family or friends to really relax and not feel like you are in a huge overcrowded hotel. BBQ area is great and might need to get their early as it is very popular. It comes down to this if you are looking for somewhere that is very relaxing and you can spend some quality time with your friends or loved ones.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgraded room or go on VRBO and look into the rooms there take notice of the reviews and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JJ-Hendreson

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Aloha not long arrived back from hawaii. Having always stayed in luxury hotels I was a bit reluctant to stay in a self catering condo, however, the apartment are at least 3 or 4 times larger than an average hotel suite so there was plenty of space to feel at home in fact me and my partner had a bathroom each!
The kitchen was very contemporary with all the mod cons ( American fridge freezer with ice and water dispenser, dishwasher and high tech cooker etc) you could possibly need. Some units appeared better furnished than others we were over the moon with ours other than the bed which was not comfortable generally not helped by the fact that the pillows were huge so woke up feeling very stiff!
Location wise our condo (# 313) was great, on the ground floor with a seaview just steps from the beach which was great to go in and out during the day if by the pool or on the beach. The pool is a small to decent size but most of the action happens in the sea with such a range of water sports on offer. Lots of restaurants within walking distance up at whalers village but you are also able to use the dining facilities at surrounding hotels.
The complex has complimentary gas BBQs for use which is an amazing experience right on the beachfront watching the sun set.
Not normally one to go back to the same place but definitely wouldn't rule this out!

Room Tip: If you want a breathtaking view and nothinf else choose a high floor, however if you still want an a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lorell_b
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I just got back from my stay at the Kaanapali Ali'i and I already want to go back! I have stayed here three times (twice in the same condo) and it feels like my second home (our maid even remembered us from our stay there 10 months ago).

There are four of us that usually travel, and we stay in the ocean view one bedroom plus den. A few of the one bedroom places have enclosed dens which makes it almost feel like a two bedroom condo. Plus with a full kitchen, living room, washer & dryer and two baths, this place can't be beat on Kaanapali Beach. Each place is individually owned, so you don't know exactly what you will get, but the two different rooms we have stayed in have been excellent.

While the pool isn't as large as some of the neighboring resorts, it is still a great place to escape and enjoy the sun. There is a quiet pool for adults, and a "loud" pool for the kids. Like any place, if you want a shaded spot, get there early! They offer complimentary chairs on the beach, or you can purchase a cabana for the day.

They have a very nice gym on site that doesn't get too crowded. There are also BBQs outside for you to grill up your own dinner (also in that area is a box with foil, paper plates and some other supplies and there is a fresh herb garden). If you don't feel like cooking, it is a short walk to Whaler's Village.

The only thing that I think could be improved upon is offering WiFi Internet in the rooms (it is available down by the pool). Of course, WiFi seems to be a difficult thing to get anywhere in Maui (except Starbucks).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This was my first time staying at the Alii and I have to say I am very impressed. This is located on the Kaanapali Parkway which is beautiful. It is right on the beach and right beside a golf course. The views are gorgeous and it's only a short walk to Whalers Village!

The staff here are very helpful, kind, and keep the place running in tip top shape. The concierge service was very helpful with what to do, bookings, and even equipment rentals. By far one of the things that stand out to me was the BBQ area! The Alii has 6 BBQ's near the pool and beach and they are beautiful! Every time I used one it was spotless! They do a great job of making sure you have everything you need to start grilling.

I would love to try and book here again!

Room Tip: Beach front condos offer spectacular views
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had an outstanding time at this property. The room was fantastic,fully equiped with anything we needed. The view from the balcony overlooking the pool and ocean was great! All the people we came in contact with were friendly and helpful and made our week there truly enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were in room 255 and it was great. Ocean view well equipped and updated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

we had a fabulous time. stayed in a 1 BR condo, which turned out to be more like 2 BR, with a second room off of the living room (no window to the outside but to the living room). we put our kids in that room, and had the master suite to ourselves, nice! we got a very nice unit, well equipped and tastefully done throughout. We got a second floor unit w ocean view which is somewhat skewed due to the angle and partially obstructed with the trees, but whatever it was good enough for us. No complaint whatsoever about the unit, the location, the amenities. No hot tub or bathtub (both bathrooms have stalls). Very short walk to Whaler's Village (5min). Two reasons why it did not get a 5 stars: spotting housekeeping and pool is small for the size of the place. I'm usually not picky about housekeeping, but this was pretty glaring. One time we found on the kitchen counter a toilet paper wrap and a half roll of toilet paper. Another time we found the bathroom trashcan left on a chair. As if they were in the middle of cleaning and got called away or lost track of what's done or not done. No big deal but does make you wonder what else they forgot to do (like change your linen!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank audeli
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed at Kaanapali Alii while on a business trip. I usually stay in another resort with the family but since I was traveling alone this time I decided to stay somewhere else. It was my first time at Kaanapali Alii. I was not impressed. It was very outdated and there was a really old bathroom. For the premium I stayed to stay here, I was expecting something more up to date.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank bm1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#11 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!