“Ok but pricey”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed at this condo resort from April 10th to April 15th 2007. The grounds truly are beautiful and maintained every day. Our group was three couples so we had booked a 3 bedroom condo. Imagine our surprise when one room had twin beds. The unit was not very clean. Some of the bedsheets had holes in them, the toilet leaked, the doorhandle fell off the dryer and the kitchen did not come with everything we had hoped for, such as a pair of scissors or sharp knives. The dishwasher also left a lot to be desired. The beds were only made once for us, and although we received clean towels, they did not bring facecloths. We made the best of it and had a wonderful time. The pool and activities were fun, as was shuffleboard and snorkelling just off the beach. This resort is close to shopping and downtown Lahaina. I would probably stay here again, however, I would try to make sure that I knew what I was getting with the unit. All in all, I found that the price did not reflect the value we received.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank dazoonie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed March 31, 2007

We stayed at the Papakea for nine glorious nights from Feb. 16th through the 25th. We had a remodeled one bedroom ocean view unit (called and requested it one week before we arrived). It was clean and comfortable. The resort is very quiet, but there is a grocery store and a few restaurants across the street. The location is convenient to both Ka' anapali and Front St. in Lahaina. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to relax in peace and quiet and avoid the overcrowded beach in Ka' anapali. There is no beach in front of the resort, but just a short walk away. We bought beach mats at the Star Market across the street and walked down the beach and snorkeled off the reef and watch the whales daily. If you want a peaceful break try the Papakea!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MABorntotravel
Reviewed March 20, 2007

We booked through AA Vacations and stayed in C203. It was a very nice room. We had a king size bed in the room w/ a pull out sofa for the kids. There was an a/c unit that cooled the whole place and a view from the balcony of the ocean. We were very happy here no complaints at all. If you have a chance to stay here it's awesome.

Beach/pool towels are given, free newspaper each morning, newsweek magazine and close walking distance to a market, video store and Hula scoops the ice cream shop.

I have nothing but high regards for this place. Honestly I shouldn't be advertising our room because we will never have it available to us it was so wonderful! lol

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank mommiesbabies2
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day stay at Papakea. It's our 5th trip in 9 years, and plan to return next year. Papakea is exactly the kind of place we love. For us, condo vacations are the best. You can dine out when you want, but also have a nice leisurely dinner or brunch in the comfort of your own place...while watching the whales playing in front of the resort. The staff has always been more than helpful and very nice.
We have recommend this place to our friends, who have come and stayed there. They also had very positive experiences.
Definitely our favorite place to stay on Maui.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank grandmamaui
Reviewed March 4, 2007

My husband and I and our 3 year-old stayed here in January of this year. We loved the Papakea!!!

The check-in process was rough but this was not Papakea's fault. We were booked through a company called Vacations International who completely screwed up our reservation. But I am not giving a review of them but, rather, the resort itself. Suffice it to say, because of Vacations International's mess up, we had to be put in a "Resort Quest" room until a Vacation International (V.I.) room became available at the Papakea. However, because of this, we had an excellent opportunity to see how the resort is run by Resort Quest vs. V.I. How a room is furnished including the type of deck furniture that comes with it, the type of toiletries and bath towels, and whether or not you get maid service has everything to do with the company that owns the unit.

The Resort Quest unit was very nice. It had carpeting throughout the unit which was unusual but welcome. The furnishings were basic "beach decor". Kitchen appliances were a little outdated but no big deal. The toiletries were above average and the towels were thick and fluffy. It had daily maid service. And the unit was very spacious. Two T.V.s and one DVD player. Patio. A/C. Washer & Dryer. All in all, a lovely unit. The only complaint I had about this unit was that it was on the ground floor and in my opinion, any unit on the ground floor lacks privacy. The only other thing about Resort Quest rooms is that they charge a hefty fee to make any phone calls from the unit, even local calls! However, this wasn't a problem in our case, because we just used our cell phones. Also, if you are a Resort Quest guest, you can avail yourself of the concierge and he/she will make any reservations for you, so you don't ever need to make a local call.

When we were finally moved into our "real" room (a Vacation International-owned room), it, too, was nice but not as nice as the Resort Quest unit. We had an ocean view one bedroom so we had the privacy I require. The view was incredible and, frankly, I wouldn't want an ocean front room. It's a lot more interesting when you can see the ponds and palm trees with the ocean in the near distance. No carpeting in this unit. No daily maid service. The toiletries were very basic and I didn't use them. And the towels were rough and "scratchy" compared to the RQ towels. There is no A/C in any V.I. unit. Surprisingly, the appliances were better than the Resort Quest appliances but only marginally. There was a washer & dryer in this unit, too, so I assume every unit at the Papakea comes equipped with a washer & dryer which is very nice. It also had a DVD player and two T.V.s. Overall, the room was pretty decent and if I hadn't seen the Resort Quest room, I wouldn't have known there was anything better at the resort. The one plus of staying in a V.I. room is that local calls are free. But big deal. We had our cell phones. I don't believe, however, you can use the concierge if you are a V.I. guest. And any maintenance or maid issues must be dealt with via phone call to an off-site office. Basically, if your unit is owned by anyone other than Resort Quest, the management on-site at the Papakea wants nothing to do with you. (On-site management is Resort Quest only.)

The grounds themselves were superb. Two putting greens. Two swimming pools. Chaise lounges dot the lawn right by the ocean which offers a great view and they are never crowded. When I looked at other resorts in the area, they are all high-rise and the grounds are limited compared to the size of Papakea's grounds.

All in all, it's a very low-key resort that caters to families. My only complaint is that there is no restaurant on the premises. However, you can walk one or two resorts down and find restaurants. Besides that, we always go grocery shopping during the first day of any trip and stock our unit for the week so we are not "restaurant dependent."

Tiki torches are lit throughout the property each night. And there are huge koi ponds just loaded with fish. Very idyllic setting.

We definitely intend to return to the Papakea but will make sure we book a Resort Quest room next time. I was told during check out that oftentimes, V.I. guests who are staying for 3 weeks are made to switch their room two or three times. The whole point of staying in a condo. is to make it as much like home as possible including being able to unpack your stuff. Anyway, Resort Quest is on top of their game and since they own 70% of the units at the Papakea, you can't go wrong booking through them plus they offer a discount for staying multiple nights.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank oceanjuli
Reviewed March 4, 2007

We stayed at the Papakea for a week in February, 2007 and just loved it. We had a 2br/2ba condo unit that opened with windows front and rear so the trade winds and surf lulled us to sleep every night. The layout was very nice and gave us all plenty of elbow space to do our own things. A very nice pool, hot tub, gas barbecues, putting green, and beach were steps from our ground floor lanai door. The beach had a nice coral reef 20 yards offshore for snorkeling but was not otherwise a swimming beach although it was great for sunning, wading, listening to the surf, sand castles, etc. There were also 3 nice tennis courts that we all used every morning as well as as a shuffleboard court with a million dollar view. Our kids who grew up with video games seemed fascinated by ...shuffleboard...and played it every minute we were not doing something else. Go figure. The Papakea was a very nice, quiet, friendly, low-rise homey place to stay and is an especially great place if you have kids. There were several nice restaurants, including two at neighboring high-rise resorts, as well as Star Market, shops, ABC store, etc all within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank jaybirds
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I booked my 7 night stay at the Papakea via Resort Quest central reseravtions in December of 06. I originally booked a Garden View Studio, using the Entertainment Book discout I got a very good rate (Get one, it rules!). Upon arrival we found out that we had been upgraded to a 1Bd. I asked the very kind Night Manager if there was any chance of an upgrade. The Front Office Manager just happened to be there, we chatted and he upgraded my wife and I to a Studio Ocean view but we couldn't move until the 2nd night of our stay. The first night we stayed in the 1Bd Garden View. It was not very nice but I could have survived. The 2nd night we moved into an awesome 1Bd Ocean View. We were upgraded again!
I should mention to all you travellers, people who work the front desk of a resort or hotel have to put up with a lot of crap from guests and they do it with a smile (most of the time). You will certainly get more flies with honey than you will with vinegar. A well placed bottle of wine or $20 tip can go a loooong way. Trust me on this, they keep records on who is naughty and who is nice!
Anyway, don't go expecting modern contemporary design in Maui. Everything is going to be bamboo and tiki tourch's unless you build it yourself. Get outside! Enjoy the beach. The Papakea is right across the road from Star's Market, the only full service grocery store. There's a dive shop in the same strip mall as the market. They have 2 pools and 2 putting greens. Concierge on staff. You also have access to the facilities at the ResortQuest resort next door. The beach and view is beautiful, you'll be more than content to sit on the lawn and watch the waves roll in. Everybody is happy, staff guests, taxi drivers. I love Maui!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family