“Absolutely Beautiful”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Lexington, KY
“Absolutely Beautiful”
Reviewed November 29, 2006

I spent November 14th-20th at Papakea. I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding and I stayed at one of the ocean front 2br/2bath condos with the bride and two other bridesmaids. It was nicely furnished and even had a new washer/dryer for us to use and with 4 girls sharing the condo there was plenty of laundry to do. We enjoyed leaving the sliding door opened at night to let in the cool breeze and listened to the waves as we went to sleep. We didn't stay around the condo much seeing as we were busy with wedding plans, but when we did get to enjoy the pool and beach we were pleasantly pleased with the temperature of the pool and the access to the beach. We also liked the convinience of the ABC store just down the road and the short drive to other beaches and shops in Lahaina.

One find we were very excited about if you a bargain shopper is the flea market that sets up on the side of the main highway as you are coming down towards Lahaina. It was there Monday, Thursday, Friday. It had wonderful hand made jewlery that we took advantage of for great prices. Great for bringing back gifts. Also you have to go on Front Street - they have lots of wonderful shops and restaurants. Forget worrying about having a restaurant at the resort - get out and see the island and discover many different places. Overall we were pleased with our stay and would concider staying here again if the opportunity comes back around.

• Liked — The ocean view.
  • Disliked — Need bigger rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get out and eat/shop at the mom and pop places. Check out the flea market.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank SHBlack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed November 28, 2006

Spent one night here in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. I had called and booked over the phone, they told me I'd have two queen or larger beds. Instead I got a queen and 2 full beds. Bath is joined in the master bedroom only.

The big problem is that this condo resort is owned individually so it's hit or miss, big time. Our unit was overall unsatisfactory cleaned upon arrival. Everything was in working condition but it definitely needed a more professional scrub. It was obvious other things in the unit were aging and in need of repair, but as cleaning and maintenance doesn't own the property, I can only assume they don't want to replace anything they don't have to!

Overall it was an average stay. Paid $265 for the 2BR for a one night stay at the end of Nov 2006.

If you are staying for longer periods of time and want a condo, try elsewhere.

• Liked — Seemed run of the mill to me, look elsewhere for comprable priced condos.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Kihei seems to be a more central spot for condo rental if you want to visit Hana, Haleakala, etc.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank ardent
Williamson,WV
Reviewed November 19, 2006

We booked through Orbitz and this place is nice to stay. The room was smaller than expected, but clean. The appliances were older, but we didnt use them anyway. Bed was just the right amount of firmness...not too soft, not too hard. Staff was very nice and met our needs. I recommend this place.

• Liked — It was quiet and clean
  • Disliked — not enough parking near the room
  • Tips/Secrets — dont forget to tip :)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank louannjustice
Southern California
Reviewed November 18, 2006

Spent 8 nights in a two bedroom owner owned condo at Papakea. The property is impecably maintained and had very friendly people attending to your every needs. The pool area was always clean and has 6 bar b ques available. The small beach area in front was just enough and if you wanted you could stay up on their large grassy area to lounge. I never saw a bug, as previous posters have mentioned. There are loud friendly frogs at night singing, and several friendly kitty cats that roam the grounds.. Our unit was on the ocean and after spending only one night, I knew how spoiled we were. After experiencing the views everyday,and listening to the ocean at night, I can never see myself but in the oceanfront units. The condo was appointed nicely with new decor and all the amenities of home. The grocery store across the street, and the Farmers Market a short walk away were fabulous, as well as several restaurants if needed. Also the easy access to the ABC store through the private gate was great! I don't think I will stay anywhere else again on Maui but Papakea. This was my first time in West Maui, and I liked it better. The traffic was next to none in my opinion, maybe because I am from Southern Calif.....I can't wait to return to Papakea.

• Liked — the views, and the grounds
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure to use the gate on side for ABC store, and the spa at the Kaanapali Shores next door.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank LMcKee
SF Bay Area, California
Reviewed November 8, 2006

My family and I had a conference to attend on Oahu, so we decided to extend the vacation and stay a few days in Maui. We used some timeshare credits and after reviewing mid-level timeshare reviews right here on this site, I made the decision to stay at the Papakea Resort in Lahaina. It was the perfect location for us. We rented a car, and we didn't have any problem with parking during our stay--we have a disabled tag, and we always were able to park close to our condo. Our condo was appointed in a typical time-share way (I think this was an owner/timeshare unit)--nothing was extraordinary, but everything was clean and well maintained. We had a one bedroom unit with full kitchen with a view of the courtyard (and a bit of the ocean beyond) from our lanai--oceanview property. We took the recommendation from another reviewer (04/05) and stayed in a room in the F building. We had no problems with bugs, including roaches.

The grounds are quiet at night, the beach is nearby (note that at high tide the beach is no more) and most importantly for us, the property is across the street from a grocery store and a few restaurants. We could walk to the store, grab some food items, and make our own breakfast/lunch. We spent most of our time in Lahaina, so it really worked out well.

The staff was friendly and the concierge was knowledgable and helped us book tickets to all the events/activities we wanted to see. This property is not an all-inclusive resort, and I wouldn't select it if I wanted a high-flying, romantic vacation, but this property was perfect for us to spend a week in Maui. I would definately book this property again--especially if I could book the same room.

• Liked — Proximity to Lahaina and stores
  • Disliked — No onsite restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Be sure to ask for specific rooms that have been recently remodeled.
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
5 Thank Cheleigh
Parker, Co
Reviewed November 3, 2006

We arrived at noon. Our room was not ready, but staff gave us pool towels, showed us the change room and we lounged a bit by the pool. Our room was a comfortable, light & airy with all the conviences. My sisters room was a little dated and dark. She mentioned this to the front desk and they changed her room next morning to another prize. We really enjoyed our stay at a pleasent resort that was low preasure, clean and we found close to everthing but Hana! The grounds were kept up very nicely and there was a lot of room to spread out and lounge or play lawn games. Most resorts were packed in side by side and strait up so this was a plus in our minds. No charge for parking either.

• Tips/Secrets — Stop @ Cost Co and buy food!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank shernmark
Winnipeg
Reviewed October 9, 2006

Wow!! This resort is fabulous!! We have been staying here for 15 years and have never had a problem with anything. The condo was right on the ocean and the resort offers so many activities all day. The pool, huttub, shuffleboard courts and putting greens are great for the kids. The landscaping was beautiful and everything was very well kept. Lahaina is less than 10 minutes away, and this is a great location. I would not stay anywhere else!!!

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — nothing!!
  • Tips/Secrets — great place to vacation!
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family