“Very Disappointed”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed November 3, 2005

We returned a couple of weeks ago from a long awaited trip to Maui. This was a trip to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary(of which the resort was made aware of before we arrived). We expected somewhat of a special greeting because of this, but nothing, not even a lei. I called four days before our arrival to make sure we had two bedrooms with two queen beds, as their were two couples staying in the condo. I was assured that the room would be ready for us. Upon arriving we found a two bedroom condo, but one bedroom had a queen, and the other had two double beds. It took a couple of hours to change us to the correct room. The room we were moved to only had air conditioning in the living room, the bathrooms were like saunas. These units seem to be seperately owned, and ours was in need of extensive repairs. Also, the tile floors were filthy. The toaster didn't work and you almost needed to be a rocket scientist to open the kitchen cabinets. It is posted around the complex that quiet time is from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am. We were told the TV was too loud at 11:00 pm, but every morning from 5:00 am on the maintenance workers were out with their squeeky carts and talking loud. I do not usually complain about things, but this was just not acceptable. The staff was very unfriendly, and never apologized for any of the inconveniences. I highly recommend NOT staying at this resort. The Kanaapali Shores next door was the only high point of the property, and the view(ocean front room).

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
West Branch, MI
Reviewed November 1, 2005

The Papakea is a delightful place to stay. I had read several reviews like this one before we booked, and they had it from 'Awful' to 'Fabulous'. I would lean to the fabulous side, but not too far. Our place in the 'D' building was clean and well kept up. It had a renovated kitchen with all the amenities. Some wear-and-tear in parts of the condo were evident. If you are used to the Ritz-Carleton level of service, then you will be less than happy at the Papakea. Our daily maid service quality depended on who the maid actually was. Unfortunately the excellent maid was ours for only two of the ten days we were there. We were on the 2nd floor. Having been there now, I would have preferred the 3rd or 4th, and never the 1st. The 1st is ground level. As I walked to the pool I could, and did, look into the various units to see how they were outfitted. Not much privacy, as I was often looking at people looking at me.

The grounds were kept immaculate, with fallen leaves and debris cleaned up daily. The pools were beautiful, the hot tubs hot. There is not much of a beach, especially at high tide, but I considered that a plus, since I could sit next to the sea wall, and therefore next to the sea. There was a full beach we could use a couple of minutes walk away. The front desk was very helpful with any questions.

The negatives: We had several friends in other facilities and I found it annoying that I had to pay $1 for every local call. The air conditioning consists of a window unit in the living room by the balcony, not much good for the bedroom. We tried it for the first night, then opened all the windows in the place on the second and subsequent nights, and slept much better. Fortunately October begins Maui's winter season, so the humidity was not high.

The Aston Papakea was an excellent value for the money. You don't get the Ritz, but you don't pay the Ritz prices either. Within a two minute walk of the entrance is a full size grocery store, which we found very convenient (after the 'sticker-shock' of a box of Weaties for $7, but high food prices are the norm for Hawaii).

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank Goodkid
australia
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We spent 5 nights in room a 2 bedroom apartment with my husband and 3 kids-9,7,2.
The accomodation was clean and had fantastic views as we were beach front. The kitchen was fully equiped and in excellent condition. We had a couple of problems though, the airconditioner kept flooding the floor and we reported it twice on the first day but no one came to fix it for the lenght of our stay. We had to mop the floors every evening! It was also very week and kept the room stuffy. Neither bedrooms had views, the second bedroom was upstairs with very steep stairs which was a problem keeping the 2 year old off them, also I found that the blinds let all the light through which ment our infant was up at dawn from the sunshine. Room service was OK however only 1 coffee satchet was given and not replaced (was told it would be $1 per satchet after the first one)and none of the toiletries were replaced either.

5 Thank anono
Reviewed October 14, 2005

We have just arrived from Maui and stayed at the Papakea Resort. I was scared, cause I had read some of the reviews and they were not good. I was very impressed. We were upgraded to a one bedroom with loft, it was very roomy, the A/C was wonderful. The grounds were kept up very nice. Loved the pool area (both of them). It was quite, not a lot of noise like you might find at a bigger resort. Our only complaint they have no bar by the pool. However we survived and are planning on going back in March of next year and will stay there again.

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 25, 2005

So you're probably reading this to see others opinions on Papakea because you're going there soon, right? well, i was in your shoes 2 weeks ago. I got married on Sept 17, 2005 and left the next day to Maui for 1 week to stay at the Papakea resort. So every other day or so since i booked the Papakea back in April 2005, i would come to this very site and see what people said about the place, i saw some bad things but mostly good things. so now im thru with my trip and here i am to place my own ad to help someone else. First ill talk about Maui, i loved Maui and the only problem is that it was SOOOOOOO humid, OH MY GOD!!! you open the door during the day or even at night, and the heat would hit you so hard, you'll find yourself sweating like a pig at 9 o'clock at night. it was a beautiful place but id hate to live there because i HATE the heat. also, the prices on EVERYTHING are so high, i would complain gas prices here in los angeles were bad at $2.85 a gallon, try $4.00 a gallon in Maui. you'll also notice all the fast food places are more expensive and normal grocery items are outreagous too. Also, if your a tourist traveling to Hana or another place and you park your car and leave it for awhile...BE CAREFUL because we heard about a few tourists rent a cars being broken into and when we were at the blowhole, a guy told me he saw 3 guys walking around our car scoping it out and took off running when he pulled up, so be careful, keep valuables out of sight and LOCK YOUR CAR!!

Ok, enough of the babbling, now about the Papakea. its a beautiful place, and dont believe the negative comments others left. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the ponds with beautiful fish in them were amazing and the pool was awesome, they could have kept it warmer because it was chilly most of the time, but its was nice. the BBQ's that are poolside were nice and alot of people used them, they are propane tanks and you dont need to buy coals or lighter fluid, which was really nice. people compalined about the cats walking around and being loud, there WERE cats walking around and they didnt bother a soul, and they were not loud at all. i NEVER heard a peep come out of their mouths. when we first booked, we reseved a studio oceanview room, we wanted a studio and they upgraded us to a 1 bedroom oceanview, which was a nice gesture but we actually wanted a studio. so after getting a 1 bedroom room (H-202), we realized 2 important things to make us wanna downgrade to our original studio oceanview....and keep this in mind when you reserve a room. the 1 bedroom does not have a TV in it so if your like me and like to fall asleep watching TV, your gonna be mad. The 1 bedrooms actually make you closterphobic (sp?) because its a narrow room, and second, remember how i told you its VERY humid, theres NO A/C in the rooms, only swamp coolers (from what i saw) and the swamp coolers are in the living room, so you sweat your butt off in the 1 bedroom rooms. There are ceiling fans but thats not enough, so keeping all that in mind...if its between a 1 bedroom or a studio room....GET A STUDIO. we actually had to drag our mattress from the bedroom on to the living room floor the first night we were there because we wanted a TV and it s cooler...and drag it back in the morning....SWEAR TO GOD!!!

so after our first night i told the desk "id like to downgrade and get a studio room like we originally booked" they said we had NOTHING available and maybe in a few days they would have something for us. so we were kinda mad but oh well. so we called our travel agent and told her to call the hotel and change us IMMEDIATELY. About 7 hours later we got a call that they had a studio ocean view available so we packed our stuff up and moved, why it took a call to our travel agent to get a room change is beyond me, they werent too helpful at first but i guess calling the travel agent was the right thing to do.

So after going to our new rooms, WE LOVED IT!!! it was a beautiful studio ocean view (C-307) it was newly remodeled about 2 years ago, with a DVD player and a microwave mounted above the stove and the decor was beautiful. So you'll read alot of people tell you that its a hit and miss craps game if you get a nice room or not. The grounds themselves are AWESOME, youll love them and people complain that the buildings need painting and are dumpy looking...NOT TRUE!! they were nice, but the rooms are individually owned so sometimes youll get a great room or sometimes youll get a older dumpier room.

So the hotel is a very nice place to stay, the rooms are fully stocked (i think) because our 1st room didnt have a DVD player but our 2nd one did, but they all have utensils, a fridge, microwave, oven and 99% of what youll need, plus the washing machine/clothes dryer were great because we washed our stuff every other night.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE PAPAKEA AND IF YOU GET A ROOM YOU DONT LIKE, THEY WILL MOVE YOU IF YOU COMPLAIN!!

If any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me, I e-mailed a few people and asked them questions before my trip and they were very helpful. SO if you wanna know where to go and what I did, e-mail me.

have a great time.

• Stayed September 2005
21 Thank Tleeg
Rochester, NY
Reviewed September 5, 2005

My wife and just got back from staying at the Papakea for 8 nights this past August for our honeymoon. I must say that I chose wisely. After utilizing Trip Advisor to evaluate and make an informed decision, I feel everyone's comments pretty much on the mark. Upon arriving at the resort, we were pleased to find that that grounds were pristine, with lush and well maintained gardens. The staff gave us a warm reception and the bonus was that they upgraded us from a garden view to an ocean front - FREE OF CHARGE! I imagine we lucked out because the availability happened to work in our favor but they will do what they can to accomodate you. So our room was excellent and clean. That being said you must realize these are individually owned and rented condos so quality of furniture and accessories will vary. We arrived in a clean and bright room with plenty of light coming through the sliding glass door to our balcony overlooking the ocean - (SEE PICTURES). So accomodations were a plus with adequate service. Only drawback is the beach. There is virtually none in front of the property as the water comes up to the sea wall. No problem though, there is miles upon miles of public beach all over the island. So no problems here... We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would reccomend for sure!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank AdRock011
Reviewed September 5, 2005

Was really scared when I read some of the reviews about this resort, but I have to say..... IT lived up to my expectations and BEYOND! We had a studio one bedroom kitchenette and it was soooo nice. I was iffy about the murphy bed thing so I called and made sure we didn't get one! If you are looking for a nice place to relax with peace and quiet then the papakea is the one for you. Great location, just minutes away from lahaina ($15 cab ride).Plus the pools and jacuzzi were not filled with crazy hyper kids(like the hyatt). Great romantic getaway. Only downfall is there isn't a bar or room service but that is easily fixed by the Star Market that is literally in walking distance to the resort (right across the street). So, please enjoy. If this helps any I am definitely staying at the Papakea every time I come to Maui. It's awesome!!!!!!! Just remember... If you are looking for quiet, beach front, relaxing maui experience..... Papakea!

• Stayed September 2005