1,284 results
All reviews castaway cafe banyan building coconut building aloha tower full kitchen black rock garden view whalers village free trolley smaller pool beach walk main building two queen beds great beach onsite restaurant studio condo general store
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We enjoyed our 2 week stay in February immensely:
*great beach, beautiful grounds
*Castaway Cafe is on the ocean, patio overlooks the ocean
*pool is large
*condo has great views over the ocean and whales breaching
*has paperback library for reading, fitness center(small), laundry facilities
*staff busy but helpful
*beachwalk with avid walkers come through-fun to watch
*parking available
*close to Lahaina and Whaler's Village for restaurants and shopping
*low-density area (no highrises)-very relaxing and quiet

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed February 12, 2010

We stayed for five nights in Dec. 2009. We entered our 1 BR unit #286 around 10pm after checking in to find water covering the bathroom floor and out to the kitchen area. I picked up the phone and dialed the front desk… but there was no answer! I have to admit I was pretty upset because I thought this not to be a good first impression. I went back to the front desk to tell then about the situation and they gave us another unit (#192). The first unit #286 was on the 2nd floor (up steps and no elevator) and the bedroom was a loft not allowing for much privacy in the bedroom. I feel that Aston should disclose on their website that the “1 BR Suite” you reserve could actually be a loft and not a private bedroom.

Our 1BR 1B unit #192 in the Emerald Building was in the “ocean side” category. This was the most expensive 1 BR room category offered by MKV when I made my reservation. MKV has since told me that ANY room in the Dolphin or Emerald building is in the “ocean side” category. On their website, Aston describes this category as “tropical garden view”. In an e-mail, MKV described the ocean side category as “partial oceanview/partial pool view.” On the plus side, it was very nice to be able to just walk out from the lanai to the beach or the lawn. On the negative side, the view was essentially the pool (and the restaurant) and the beach walk went right by the lanai which meant sometimes there was a steady stream of people walking by when you sat on the lanai. You could barely see the ocean from the lanai but you could hear it. I imagine you might be able to see the ocean better from the 2nd floor units. I found that the Aston website did not do a great job of explaining the various room categories or buildings. The condo (#192) itself was fine and very clean. Huge bathroom. As I understand it, the room interiors/condition vary.

The onsite restaurant , Castaway Café, was closed (possibly for renovations?) three of the five days we were there. This was disappointing.
The procedure to get fresh beach towels (call housekeeping the day/night before) was annoying so we just dried ours in the sun and kept reusing them.

We didn’t have much interaction with the staff. Overall, a nice place at a decent price in Kaanapali. Nice grounds, nice beach, uncrowded.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank beergarden
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Excellent condominium hotel with relaxing atmosphere, quiet beach, kitchen facilities, a terrific restaurant on site, and wonderful people working there to help you.

I was looking for a room on the West side of Maui that reminded me of what old Hawaii was like - not too "hotelly" but with modernized facilities and amenities that reminded me of the feeling of old Hawaii - that is that you know that you are in Hawaii and not some other resort. This condominium hotel really fit the bill. The grounds are beautiful, the experience is relaxing, and much of it has been renovated recently. This is an excellent place to get away, relax and enjoy the experience of Maui.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Maui Ka'anapali Villas is a truly unique and restful place in an area abounding in faceless highrises. It maintains its low-key charm and unhurried pace - the staff are wonderful and genuinely warm. It vies with the high end market with its beautiful landscaped grounds, expansive beachfront, and fully appointed condominium rooms. The one I stayed in was newly remodeled and gorgeous. In January, I saw whales off the coast as I dawdled over breakfast on the Castaway's Restaurant lanai. The Ka'anapali trolley (free!) is great fun as it transports you to Whaler's Village for shopping and dining. But a highlight is to go the beach and watch the sunset.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank writer99
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed in one of the the 2nd floor condos, nice but a bit dated and the bed was a murphy bed that was not very comfortable. The grounds were very tropical and exquisite. The restaurant is right on the beach and was a nice place to go for sandwiches and drinks. The pool was clean, a good size but it was very cold. The fitness center looks like it was a afterthought so if that's important to you try another resort. Now for the location, it doesn't get any better when you're on a beautiful large clean beach that you can take long walks on without being crowded. If you're on a budget and looking for a good value I would recommend the Maui Kaanapali Villas.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family