“Fantastic local Area”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney Australia
“Fantastic local Area”
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The Villas are ideally situated in Kaanapali with very easy transport to all local areas via a free trolley bus. The villas are however in need of some work and are looking a little tired. The units appear individually owned and internal fitouts would be the care of individual owners - most villas that I could see into seemed to be in about the same general condition.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank VanGough

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 28, 2006

Our family just returned yesterday morning after 8 great nights at the Resortquest Maui Kaanapali Villas. We had a one bedroom garden view room. I had requested two queen size beds along with a pull out sofa bed. We have two young adult children, 19 22 yrs. old.

The condo was large, bathroom had a large dressing area, nice kitchen, comfortable beds, furniture.
The staff at the front desk was always nice, cheerful, the maintaince workers outside even said 'good morning' to us. The maid was a lovely lady by the name of Loetta, she always made sure we had extra towels, lots of shampoo, etc.

Beach and pool area wonderful! OH< I miss it!

I would highly recommend this property.

Suzze

Stayed June 2006
12 Thank suzze
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2006

MKV is a great condo/hotel on THE BEST beach in Maui. The studio condo room we had was simple but sufficient. Our room (#144 in Banyon) had a full size fridge, stove, microwave, and coffee pot. There was a king size bed, wicker sofa, coffee table, and round "dining room" table useful for writing postcards or eating meals.

The staff was efficient and friendly. They don't go out of their way to make you feel like a celebrity, but they all do their jobs very well to ensure you enjoy your vacation.

There are two swimming pools, one close to the bar/resteraunt and beach, and one further back near the rear condo rooms. We used neither -- you're in Maui, on Ka'anapali Beach, ENJOY IT!!! The beach was suprisingly not crowded at all. I'd say on average it was one blanket of people every 50 feet or so. On the other side of Black Rock where the Sheraton is, it is WAY more crowded and noisy. We were very thankful the MKV was on the other side! But if you want more action, a little shopping, any watersports, or maybe just some more sightseeing, take a walk over to the Sheraton side.

The grounds are very well maintained, everything is very clean (albeit a bit old, the resort was built in the 70's), and the resteraunt did just fine with its breakfast. I marked the lobby with a red dot and the resteraunt with a green dot on the attached map. Parking was all around the resort, and we never had a problem with that, although our room was toward the back of the resort so we took advantage of the further away spots anyway. Also, parking technically is free. It's included in that $9 per day resort fee along with the telephone and whatever else. Even if you have no car, and dont use the phone, you WILL be charged that. The only thing you can knock off is the safe for an extra $2 or so, but you will pay the $9 for sure.

The rooms and resort are nice and quiet, we never heard anything through the walls (although it was our honeymoon, so maybe they heard us?!). The previous poster was right about the headboard being noisy if the bed moves a bit, but just jam a towel or shirt behind it and that'll fix the problem. But we were very close to the street and never heard any cars. In fact, we slept great every single night.

There has been some conflicting reports about the internet. The real info is this: They have FREE wireless internet which supposedly spans the entire resort. We ran into a little trouble connecting in our room, but were able to use it fine (on the laptop we brought with us) in the lobby and other areas. The fee based internet some people mention is if you use their computers in the library. We obviously didn't do that. On a related note, I HIGHLY recommend bringing a laptop with you. It allows you to plan out some of your trip while you're there, look for resteraunt reviews before going out to eat, and download your digital pictures to the computer every night to clear room for more!

The MKV has a free trolly that brings you to Whaler's Village - a great little shopping area. It seems like all of the Ka'anapali Beach area resorts are umbrella'd together with similar signs, trolly service, and roads. MKV is only a 2 minute drive down to Lahaina, a great area for dinners, shows, and shopping. If you drive into there, and dont want to pay for parking, there is a fairly unknown lot that allows free unlimited parking on a small one way street parallel to front st, behind the Lahina Store Grill. It's listed in Maui Revealed, but it's still not as popular as it should be.

We only ate in the resteraunt for breakfast once, but it was very nice. The view is pretty terriffic right on the beach, and the food was typical of breakfast anywhere else. We usually ate breakfast in our room, which saved about $25 a day.

Overall, I give this place a HUGE recommendation for a relaxing, price effective, convenient stay. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2006
23 Thank ctjwa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2006

We stayed in a hotel room at MKV from May 10-25, 2006. Our room was fairly nice, with 2 sliding-glass doors, one on each side of the room, creating a great cross-breeze. The air conditioning was very noisy, but cooled nicely. Our room (#523) was very close to the highway, and there was a lot of traffic noise. Earplugs are a definite recommendation if you want to get some good sleep. The room was nicely sized, with a big dressing area and 2 closets. The headboard was not attached to the bed or the wall, and would constantly bang against the wall. I put a towel behind it to prevent it banging, and had to keep pushing the bed against it to secure it.
I found the staff friendly and helpful. Beach towels require a $20 deposit each, but this is returned upon return of the towel.
Parking is a definite problem here. There is an almost $10 per night charge for parking, but finding a space close to the hotel is a challenge if you are trying to park after 3 p.m. It is required to have your parking permit in your front window, and even on doing this, we received a written warning from the security guard because he didn't see it! (It was not hanging from the mirror, but off to the side of the front window). Many nights we ended up parking in a back parking lot quite a distance from the room. Parking was such a problem we considered just parking the car in the morning and taking the trolley shuttle to shopping facilities in Lahaina.
On-site laundry facilities and gym are nice.
The Castaway cafe on the premises is nice, and the staff friendly. Dinner was overpriced and just average quality, but breakfast was a good value.
I found the $15 per hour charge for use of the computer/Internet to be ridiculous! Many hotels offer this service for free. The beach is very nice with a nice paved path.
There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, as well as an iron and ironing board. Maid service was very good.
I may stay here again, but would probably opt for a condo instead of a hotel room, just for the convenience of being able to cook. I would definitely shop around and compare prices, but overall MKV is not a bad value.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 2, 2006

My wife and I just got back from our first time in Hawaii. We absolutely loved it. We stayed in Maui from the 12th-20th then Kauai from the 20th-26th. Our stay at the Kaanapali Villas was a very good experience. Upon check in I asked if there were any upgrades available for us and the gave us an ocean view condo. Like many reviews before just because it says ocean view it doesn't mean the waves will be crashing into the beach right in front of you. We stayed in room 517 and the room had no lanai. We would have like to have one but we dealt perfectly fine without it. The room itself was in perfect condition. King size bed, couch, dining room table, 2 sinks in the bathroom, large closet and a spacious shower. We even had a full kitchen with a microwave, big refrigerator, oven, coffee maker etc.. Our TV came with a VCR and a DVD player. Maybe we got lucky compared to other people but it seems like your best bet is to get a condo instead of the hotel room itself. Most of the complaints I read were from people staying in the hotel room instead of the condos. We also did not have any problem with the front desk people. When we asked for towels, soap, directions whatever they were always willing to help us. Never did we get a nasty look or no help from anyone. Even the maid service people were nice. But be careful when staying here in a condo. You will not get the normal treatment like you would at a hotel room. They will make your bed, vacuum your room and throw out the trash. They will not change your sheets, and give you extra coffee and toiletries. We had to ask for them and when we did we got them. Parking was also never a problem for us. Most of the time we got one of the prime spots right near the back entrance by the elevators. And if we didn't get one we never had to park in the street or very far from where we went in. We also had wireless internet in our room. We never had to pay for the internet on our laptop. This was very helpful in looking up directions, excursions and checking the weather. If your use to staying in 5 star resorts and expecting world class resort activities then this isn't the place for you. If your looking for something affordable, nice and clean this place is perfect for you.

The beach area was right near the hotel itself. The beach was nice and it definitely wasn't as crowded as you will find near the Sheraton and Black Rock. But if you wanna snorkel definitely go to Black Rock. All kinds of fish to see there and it's a nice walk from the hotel to that area. We had more fun there then we did at Molakini. Maybe we went on a bad day but Molakini wasn't worth the money. We saw 3 times more fish at black rock then Molakini. Only saw 1 turtle at turtle town.

The castaway cafe had very good food and the service was excellent. We loved being able to eat outside right by the ocean. Of the 6 meals we ate there in a week we never had a bad meal. My wife and I don't really drink so we can't help with the happy hour bar thing.

The one complaint that I did have about the hotel would definitely be the resort fee. We paid $9.37 a day for this. They also charged us $2.60 a day for the safe but we didn't use it and they took the charge off for us. We ended up paying $75 in resort fees for 8 nights. They should just include this but they don't. We knew about this charge before we booked it so we can't really complain. Oh, the other thing we would have liked to see would be grills on the premises. A lot of the other resorts had grills that people could use to cook stuff on their own. They have plans to add grills and BBQ areas but it's not done yet. Make sure you return your towels to the front desk. They will charge you $20 per towel if you don't return it.

And yes Maui is a tourist island. But we liked the fact we could sit on the beach near our hotel and relax or walk to the Whaler's village or drive to front street to shop and hang out. If your looking for a less tourist place go to Kauai instead.

Make sure when reading these reviews you take the good and the bad and equal them out. Some people had good experiences and some have bad ones. I personally would recommend this hotel. Even though we had a very nice room we also didn't spend much time in it. We were in Hawaii to have fun and experience everything we could. The last thing I wanted to do was spend more time in my room then I had to. Why would I spend all that money to stay in the Sheraton or some other really nice hotel when I was never in the room or at the pool? Doesn't make much sense. If you want to stay at your hotel the whole time in Maui then stay at the Sheraton. They had a beautiful pool area and bar right by the beach. But we would rather save money and use that for other tours and meals.

We also traveled to Wailea to check that out. I played at the gold course and it was beautiful. I played Kapalua plantation and Kannapali south as well and I thought Wailea was better then both. Kapalua was nice but the weather is not very good and it's very windy. It rains like 240 inches a year in Kapaula and it was always cloudy there. The area of Wailea is gorgeous. If money is no object then stay there. Plenty of expensive shops and very nice beaches. If you can afford the Grand Wailea and you don't mind staying in the resort area the whole time stay there.

We plan on going back to Hawaii in a couple of years. Coming from Pennsylvania it would be tough to get there every year. 12 hours in a plane is a long time for us. Plus we want to try the caribbean since we heard nice things about it and the plane ride for us is a lot shorter. When we do go back we will definitely stay at the Kaanapali Villas again.

25 Thank poofie26
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 23, 2006

We chose this place from the 30 or so hotels and condos available in Ka'anapali / Lahaina for the simple reason that it offered a full kitchen for the same price as other "hotels". It was a mistake. For the little that we saved, I can honestly say I feel we got less than we paid for... I would have surely paid a few extra bucks to stay in a more friendly and less "dated" facility.

When you arrive at the hotel, you'll be surprised to find a relic among many sparkling and modern alternatives. The check in and all common areas are about as well decorated as a 30 year old K Mart (peeling wallpaper, depressing lighting). I must say the grounds are average and clean, but maybe not what one would expect for a reasonably highly rated hotel. (Who gives these ratings?)

The staff is not going to engage you to offer their services. You must do quite a bit to get them from behind the counter. Matter of fact, they seem outright hostile toward their guests. At no point over a 4 night stay did I encounter a friendly staff member.

For example, we arrived for our 3pm check in at 2:45pm. We were immediately informed without so much as a glance at the computer, that our room was not ready. I was polite and said that was fine, but can you tell me where the room is so I could at least park my car nearby? I was quickly told it hadn't been assigned. Now, I may have missed something, but how is it that one can know with total confidence that a room that hasn't been assigned isn't ready? Despite being polite through the entire process, the clerk seemed short and uninterested in providing the lowest level of service.

When you check in, you will also notice their diligence to get you to sign paperwork agreeing to the many fees they plan to add to your bill. I noticed many arguments at the Front Desk involving such. We paid $90 for 4 days "resort fees" despite parking on the street 2 nights, never using the phone, safe, or anything else. Whatever...

You should also be prepared for policies such as having to buy internet access for up to $1 per minute or a "package" for 5 hours for $50. Forget the normal "expensive" day's unlimited access for $20... 24 hours will cost almost $250. (Yes, unfortunately I had to work 4 days on a 21 day vacation).

You can also not expect any help whatsoever from the activities desk until you've fully paid for the trip you're asking questions about (no refunds of course). We pre-booked a luau at the Hyatt (very average despite all the salespeople raving about it), and when we asked the activity director stationed in the lobby what we could expect if it rained, we never could get an answer because our question was immediately greeted with a condescending "where'd you buy it?" When we did try to find out what activities would be fun for kids, we got nowhere and ended up booking through an office of a popular website that was slightly less rude and impatient. We understand that people work on commission and have no problem buying activities under this premise... just not from angry, bitter, hostile salespeople.

In all fairness, our room was probably state of the art for the 70's. The A/C really didn't work, but was very noisy (breezes just didn't cool the room down). Parking is difficult and despite having to pay for it, you'll probably end up self-parked on the street. There are no valets, concierge, or bellhops, which is fine, but probably some misrepresentation of a 3 out of 4 star hotel.

Our room (610) had one of the oddest layouts (a full quarter of the sq/ftage was empty bathroom and dressing space while the kitchen is half this size) of any building I've ever been in and many of the elements such as hang rods and moldings seemed to have been made by hand. The toilets, sinks, and tubs are at a minimum 30 years old. There were no CD, DVD, etc... despite obviously being a condo.

My suggestion is pay a little more, stay at another hotel nearby if you "must" be near Lahaina. But, you'd be much better off on Maui staying in Wailea or the northshore. The whole Lahaina scene has de-volved into true tourist traps trying to sell seats to mediocre attractions and "fast food with an attitude" style restaurants that can't seem to crowd in enough people.

The locals will complain about how touristy it has become, yet it is hardly the fault of the tourists. The locals are falling all over themselves trying to push helicopter rides, snorkeling trips, rentals, luaus, whatever... all of it pretty much junk compared to the "free" beautiful parts of Maui like Hana and La Parouse Bay. And yet, you will have a really difficult time getting any info on a "free" attraction that isn't being sold on commission.

TIP: If you stay at Kaanapali Villas and don't want to be **crushed** for internet charges, go right down the street to Village coffee. Fast, free, wireless internet.

Also, the on-site restaurant is decent and friendly and obviously not run by the "pleasant" staff.

Good Places to Eat: Hula Grill (Fantastic), Taco Stands south of Wailea, Kimo's on Front (OK Food, great service)

Bad Places to Eat: Giovannis (Terrible Service) on Kaanapali, Cheeseburger in Paradise on Front Street (OK food, but a total wam-bam tourist experience)

MUST DO: Drive to Hana. The "salespeople" will tell you that it's not that great (it is) and yes it takes a while if you stop a ton. I got there in 3.5 hours with lots of stops and from Hana back to Kaanapli in right at 2 hours (like 80 miles, 1 hr to Haiku and 1 hour to Villas).

LAST SUGGESTION: If you want a "resort" in Hawaii, be sure to book one. There are plenty on Maui... this isn't one. If you want to explore the island on your own and steer clear of tourist junk, stay on the Northshore. The beaches aren't that great, but neither is Ka'anapli (Waikiki is better). If you prefer a "great" and authentic Hawaiian experience that isn't similar to being herded like cattle, go to Kauai and skip Maui altogether.

20 Thank Mike M
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 28, 2006

The MKV resort is located in on the northern half of kaanapali beach which is much quieter than the southern side. (The Southern side is where all the big-name resorts/hotels are such as the Sheraton, Hyatt, etc and also where Whalers Village is). The location is great since the beach is less crowded.

The grounds of the resort are nicely kept. The Castaway Cafe on the property is delightful with a great location on the beach. However, skip the happy hours..the drinks are only a $1 less and watered down. Better to hit happy hour at Aloha Mixed plate on Front Street.

Remember to reserve the cabana on the beach as soon as you get there...they get booked quickly and are almost impossible to get on the day that you want to spend at the beach.

The room that we stayed in - one of the condo villa rooms - was a complete disappointment. The carpet was old and stained. The bed seemed old and the mattress was uncomfortable. We also believe that the bed had bed bugs. The daily maid service does not include doing the dishes and does not replenish the coffee/sugar etc. Our room did have a lanai leading into the garden and a pool which was great.

Also, this resort charges almost $10/day in resort fee apart from the room charges. What a rip-off...why not just include this in the room charge?

Overall, we probably won't go back there because of the room quality.

• Stayed April 2006