“We'll definitely be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
St. Catharines, Canada
“We'll definitely be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed at the Maui Kaanapali Villas, unit #Coconut 152, for 9 nights in October, 2008 (booked through vrbo). We had a wonderful stay, the condo is fully equipped with everything a vacationing family would need - dishes, kitchenwares, linens, beach chairs, paper products, even a copy of "Maui Revealed" for guests to use! We found the studio unit to be more spacious than we expected it to be, and our 12 year old son slept very comfortably on the pullout sofa. The pool area (Coconut pool) closest to the condo unit is newly upgraded, with lots of chaise lounges, shade umbrellas, a hot tub, and beautiful landscaping. The resort's main pool is only a 2 minute walk further away. We spent many days and evenings at Airport Beach, right next door to the Maui Kaanapali Villas. In fact, the location of Unit Coconut 152 is very close to the beach park, only about a 3 minute walk away. The snorkeling at Airport Beach was very good, with very easy access into the water. And we enjoyed quite a few beautiful sunsets, drinks in hand, from the lawn at the beach park. A big plus for our family was the free Kaanapali Trolley, for quick and easy access to other points in the Kaanapali Resort, especially Whalers Village (great restaurants and shopping). We also found the Royal Lahaina Luau (right next door! - an easy 5 minute walk) to be a fun evening out. There were so many highlights to our wonderful Maui vacation, and it was great coming "home" to such a nice condo unit every night. The property owner was a pleasure to deal with; she always responded to my e-mailed questions very promptly. We highly recommend Coconut 152.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ruby2sday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October, and this property far exceeded my expectations. The location is fantastic, right on the beach and a short drive to Kaanapali or Lahaina. Plus there is a shuttle bus that stops right in front of the lobby. The pool was beautiful, and onsite restaurant not only let you hear the surf while you ate outside, the food was great! Fresh Mahi Mahi was excellent. Gwen at the front desk really made our trip. She went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable, and for that we will definately return next time we are in Maui. Condos are just condos, its the people working there that make the difference.

• Liked — Location, the quiet, onsite restaurant
  • Disliked — The 'facilities fee'
colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

We recently stayed Sept 27th thru Oct 3rd. The grounds are beautifully maintained and manicured. Our "condo" was older but in great shape. The Front Desk staff was pleasant and approachable. The pools and jacuzzi were clean and "kid" free most of the time. I had a spa treatment on site which was amazing!!!The only downside was the on site "Castaway" resturaunt. The food was mediocre and overpriced. We walked down the beach ( it was a 20 minute walk ) and found the "Hula Grill" which was excellent. I also recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. Worth the cost. Overall, we plan on returning in 2010. I was worried when I read the mixed reviews prior to our trip but was prepared for the worst! Thank goodness we weren't too disappointed!

2 Thank coldinmilehi
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Maui Kaanapali Villas is a great value in a great location. We were pleasantly surprised with the overall experience. The beach area was beautiful and quite private compared to the public beach area at the Sheraton. A short walk to the north for great snorkeling at a reef right off of shore. Here you will see lots of tropical fish, and maybe even a sea turtle. A quick complimentary trolley ride to the Sheraton will also allow you to snorkel at Black Rock. The pool area was very well kept, and never crowded. In my opinion much better than the larger resorts where it is difficult to even get a pool chair.

California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

Overall our 1 week stay in condo with Garden (pool) view was OK.
But we had two issues I should point out.
(1) We purchased (3) cardboard and insulation type coolers at Costco. We left 2 of them out and the maid service either threw them away, or took them for themselves. We discovered this in the early morning as we prepared to do the road trip to Hana.
They were brand new, and we were surprised. We called the desk to let them know, then expected some sort of reimbursement.
I spoke to the maid and she said she did not see them when she did towel service that day, so I replied that it must have been the day before then? She was silent.
When we checked out I relayed the details to the manager and asked how he would handle this. He repeated what the maid said with blank eyes.
I was disappointed they charge $13 a day for facilities fee, but can't credit us $10 for the coolers they took, not to mention our time spent buying another cooler for our trip to Hana.
(2) The microwave stopped working, various kitchen items were not present.
Other than that is was OK for a budget condo. But left a bad taste in my mouth and we will look elsewhere next year in Maui.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
littleraidergm, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, November 21, 2008
Aloha,

I am very sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. In most hotels, including 5-star hotels, anything put outside of your door on the ground is considered trash or takeaway items. I am not sure who exactly removed your coolers. I have to assume one of my employees was doing their job as instructed trying to insure you have the best experience possible. Coolers as you have described are left out and thrown away on a regular basis.

We have a maintenance staff on duty daily from 730 AM to 10 PM to insure our guest's problems are taken care of immediately. If your problem was reported and not corrected, I apologize and I will share your note with my Staff.

I do not think there is such a place as a "budget" hotel in Hawaii. I believe Trip Adviser rates the Maui Kaanapali Villas above 3.5 stars.

We just completed $1.6 million worth of renovations and we are located on the "world-class" Kaanapali Beach in Kaanapali which is maybe the premier vacation destination in Hawaii.

Malama Pono

the little raider gm
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2008

Stayied at the RQ for 3nts, we had a great time!!

The rooms were very trendy and always clean!!! The only thing that was a bit weird was the balcony area...it was joined with other rooms...so I always had the blinds closed.

The pool area was great! The restaurant on the property was amazing, cheap and great when you needed a snack. the beach area was the best...so close to the hotel. great part of the honeymoon.

• Liked — the rooms and the beach
  • Disliked — balcony opened to other rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
lompoc, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

My mom, my 8 year-old daughter, and I stayed for a week at the Kaanapali Villas and loved it there. We stayed in a studio with a garden view and it was very roomy and comfortable. Everything about our trip was so nice and we definitely plan to go back. I'm not sure if it is the time of year or what, but the beach in front of the resort is very nice but we didn't actually get in the water because of the strong undertow as you get in. I think we would have been fine once we got past it since I saw several other people in the water having fun and snorkeling, but I wanted my daughter to feel comfortable getting in and out of the water, so we drove just a short drive to Baby Beach and it was perfect for us to play and swim and snorkel in the water. I don't have anything else to compare our resort to, but I really enjoyed it there. Everyone was friendly, the grounds are beautiful, there are 2 nice pools, and the Castaway Cafe restaurant had great food at a reasonable price and a great view of the ocean. The sunsets on the beach in the evenings are one of my favorite memories of our trip. I would recommend Kaanapali Villas to anyone.

• Liked — The location right on the beach and the on-site restaurant and snorkel rental hut.
  • Disliked — The only complaint and it is minor is we had trouble getting out pool towels replaced a couple of times.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family