“Great beach & relaxing stay”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Naples, Italy
“Great beach & relaxing stay”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Studio Ocean View condo for one week to celebrate our anniversary. We got a great deal online for booking for a full week. Upon arrival, we wished that our ocean view was a little closer to the actual ocean, but none of the ocean view studios are particularly close. We still had a great view though -- We could see part of the garden below, the pool, and the ocean (room 419)! Under "special requests" during online booking, I specifically said that I did NOT want a murphy bed (as I read that some rooms have them). When we arrived, we were given a room with a murphy bed (room 418). Luckily the person working the front desk in the evenings, Anthony, was really fantastic! He immediately looked up other ocean view studios that we could trade. There were only 2 open, but luckily we loved one of them! When he saw that we were also celebrating our anniversary, he had someone send up a bottle of champagne. It was so sweet and definitely a nice way to be welcome to Maui! The room itself was great. It was very spacious and had everything that we needed. I would have liked for it to have a little more lighting, but it was a minor issue and didn't ruin our vacation. The shower seemed dated and old, but that was also a minor issue that didn't ruin our stay.

On the first morning of your stay, there is a continental welcome breakfast to welcome you to the island. There were muffins, fruit, and coffee. During this welcome breakfast, someone from the Aloha Concierge gives you tips of things to do/see on the island. It was great! We didn't feel like they were trying to sell us anything -- they just wanted to help us have a great stay. At the end of the breakfast, there is a raffle for free activities! We won one free ticket for a half day of snorkeling in Lanai ($93 value). It was great! (There were a lot of other things that you could win as well.)

The pool was fantastic. There was always plenty of seating and umbrellas. The pool is also big enough that you don't feel crowded. The beach that the property is on is fabulous! Unlike the beaches to the left and right of the villas, it was never crowded! The view is fantastic and there are no rocks on the beach. The hotel rents cabanas for a half day, full day, or week. We rented one for a day ($25) and I thought it was quite pricey. However, it was nice to have some shade in the heat of the day, because without the cabana or your own umbrella there is no shade at all. It was also nice having lounge chairs. We were visiting from Japan so it would have been a waste to purchase our own chair or try to bring something. I definitely think that the hotel should provide some beach chairs free of cost. It really surprised me that hardly any hotels in Hawaii do that. It would definitely be a value-add for the hotel. If they just brought some pool loungers to the beach, it would be perfect. (The pool chairs are way more comfortable than the cabana ones anyway!) Also, please note that if you charge anything to your room (from the beach hut), there is an additional fee that was described to me as "tax." It was small, but annoying that I felt like I was being nickel and dimed.

The wifi in the room was very slow. You had to log in every single time and it was kind of tedious. Since we were paying an additional "activity fee" daily, I thought that the wifi should be a little better. However, at least wifi was included!

My husband and I visited the spa on our anniversary. We each had a "tropical ocean package." It was great. The spa employees were very amicable and made sure that we were comfortable. We even received an additional military discount on the services which was great! If you do go to the spa though, bring a credit card or cash because you can't charge it to your room!

Overall, the service here was excellent. We got great sleep and thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The location was great. We were close to "downtown" Lahaina but far enough that it was quiet and not as busy. We definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NavyWife11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had two 1 bedroom unit. They were very well appointed, clean, tidy and very very spacious. Our room had two king size beds and living, dining, and large bathroom and kitchen. The other unit had a massive king size bed and the other features that we had. (rooms 311 & 312 ours). We had views over the complex entrance and down to the beach, and at the back the car park ad BBQ area. The staff were all very pleasant and friendly. We went shopping at foodland at Lahaina to get the basics and found a bigger supermarket further around a couple of days later. We ate out a few times as well. Go to the orientation in the morning and talk to the concierge re anything you may want to do. They were very helpful. If you are feeling rich I highly recommend Maui Air Helicopters and do the 1 hour cliffs and Molokai trip. It was spectacular. Also if you like theatre and the arts please go to Ulalena it was very visual and interesting. There is so much to see and do but if you are going to do the adventurous things then book them quick as you may get half way through the stay and find out what you want is booked. If you like mooching around you will need a car otherwise sit in the resort and blob. Loved Maui so will be back. Off the Oahu and the north shore next to a private rented home. Aloha!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vallejo, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Checked into the Kaanapali Villas with my wife and two kids (son 15 and daughter 11) on Saturday. Check in process was quick and there was no line to speak of. The desk staff was professional and friendly. I asked to make sure there was a sofa bed in our assigned room, and they called to verify that was the case before giving us the room key. They said they could switch us to a different room if needed, but all was well.

The 1 bedroom condo was nice and clean with a full kitchen on the 3rd floor looking out into the neighboring Royal Lahaina hotel and tennis courts. I knew not to expect top notch decor going in, but the furniture was in good shape. No major issues, but the bathroom shower was small and dated with one of those sliding doors that I hate. In the grand scheme of things, this was not a big deal. I didn't plan on spending much of my vacation in the bathroom anyway.

The pool area was really good. Kids enjoyed it, and although its not like some of the huge pools we were used in some resorts in Mexico, it served its purpose nicely. It was never felt crowded, and we had no problems securing chairs any time of day. On a side note, the pool was quite deep (7 ft) on one side, which I didn't notice at first (bad dad). My kids are older now and can swim pretty good, you just don't see pools deeper than 5 ft. in many hotels anymore.

We ate at the Castaway that first day after traveling all morning, and didn't feel like going out. This restaurant is the low point of the property to me. Although it has a great location by the pool, that first meal was bad all the way around. I convinced my wife to give it a second chance just to grab a quick lunch later in the week, and it was still was not very good (I told her at least it was consistent).

The beach the hotel sits on is amazing. Definitely the highlight for me and the kids. We swam, boogie boarded, and played there almost every day. Not the greatest waves to boogie board in, but it was beautiful. We went further down the beach near the Whaler to catch larger waves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Saadiq
Danville, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I did A LOT of research on this resort before I checked in June 26-July 5th. I booked a one bedroom garden view premium room through Bookit.com. After reading all the reviews I was prepared to have to look at many rooms until I found one that would be acceptable. I also was prepared to pay more and upgrade if necessary. When we arrived, 2:30 pm in the afternoon there was no line and we were helped immediately. They put us in the Aloha Tower room 401 and it was great! It was the room they show on the website with the granite counter tops, sectional pull out and double doors to the bedroom. And there was an ocean view from the bedroom! There is no balcony to sit (enough to stand) and you do hear traffic in the morning if the doors are open. But not bad at all for the price. We also got maid service everyday, pool towels and super easy parking. Last year we were at the Marriott, it was great too...but my husband loved that it was a 3 minute walk from the car to our room. The housekeeping, front desk, free coffee in the lobby every morning, the bartender at Castways, clean grounds was all really terrific.
If you are looking for a loud resort with big pool scene this is not your resort. We are a family of four..kids 11 & 14 and love exploring the island and chilling out at the end of the day. This was so nice and convenient; we liked jumping in the pool in the afternoon after our day's adventure and getting drinks and snacks at Castaways (yummy nachos!) Then head out to Lahaina or Whalers for dinner, we also cooked in room and BBQ'd on the grounds. Its a 20 minute walk to Whalers and 10 minute drive to Lahaina...the beach in front of resort is great for mellow swimming and snorkeling. I will be back!

Room Tip: Request Aloha tower, room 401-405 I think all are upgraded. I heard the front desk person say "...
5 Thank Janette60802
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We are a family with young children (boys 9 &10) and stayed for 6 nights. The room was clean and the kitchen well-equiped. Cleaning service every day to sweep up the sand brought in! The grounds were clean and well maintained. The beach was less than 5 minutes and great for the boys. The pool is between the condo and beach and was warm and clean. No problem with noise or disturbances.

The staff did a good job of "picking" up and ensuring the grounds were kept up (no trash, towels laying around). They also provide towel service for the beach/pool which we were able to change out whenever we wanted. The fitness center did have ample weight machines, a treadmill, recumbent bike and two ellipticals. Although it was all in a small space, it was more than adequate to get your workout in.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
3 Thank Chris K
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Maui with my wife and two children (both 10). We spent the last few days of our trip at the Maui Kaanapali Villas and really enjoyed our stay there. We were a little unsure of how much we would enjoy it as we were coming from a luxury resort in the Kaanapali area and didn't want to be disappointed. However, we all actually really enjoyed our stay. We upgraded to an ocean side suite that had recently been upgraded. The condo was clean and well maintained. We really enjoyed being so close to the beach. The beach in front of the hotel was great for swimming. There was also great snorkeling about 100 yards north. We had one breakfast and one lunch at the Castaway Café overlooking the beach - the food was good and the prices decent. I would recommend renting one of the cabanas if you are going to spend the day at the beach. The kids enjoyed the pool although we found the list of restrictions to be a bit ridiculous. The people at the front desk and restaurant were friendly and accommodating. We didn't see the BBQ area, but believe it was behind the hotel portion of the property so not very useful if you are staying ocean-side.

Room Tip: Ocean side suites are all on the second floor and there is no elevator. If you don't want to ca...
4 Thank jerryp820
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We returned to Maui June 2013 and this is our second time staying at the MKV which we absolutely still love! Like all the reviews before us, we replicate the comments of how laid back, quiet, and absolutely beautiful the grounds are and how well-maintened this property is. The beach access is amazing, clean and not crowded; a must for this family of 3. And with views of 2 other islands, not many can claim as much. Just love the sights from here. This time we did ask for beachside accomodations and were very happy with the villa we were given. Everything we needed was there...with even one necessary trip to the very handy onsite store for eggs that we forgot earlier in our trip to the grocery store. The property is well kept and had an updated bathroom and kitchen. Felt like home away from home! Additional amenities of the property is their restaurant "Castaway Cafe" which is an absolute delight. The staff are warm, friendly, and very pleasant. I enjoyed one of the best Mai Tai's I've ever had from this restaurant's poolside bar. One last thought, since our flight didn't leave until late in the day and after checkout, having the comfort of using their newly renovated shower/changing area was a life saver. We will definitely be back and when you choose this property, take us with you! Enjoy............

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach or have a view of the ocean, you will need to request this. The...
1 Thank happyhawaiitravelers