“Had A Great time here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
california
“Had A Great time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2005

We stayed at the Kaanapali shores for 6 nights in the beginning of November. We had no major complaints. The door did fall off of the washer and dryer closet (just a little sliding door) but my husband fixed it in a matter of minutes, no worries. The staff were very helpful..we called and asked housekeeping to give us 5 towels instead of only 3 and they did it everyday with out a problem. The $100 credit to the restaurant was a nice bonus also. We spent it mostly on drinks (try the pina colada with the rasberry swirl!) but we also had breakfast there our last day. I thought mine was very good (sweet bread french toast) but maybe I just got lucky. I would not recommend going to the orientation breakfast in the lobby. You get a bagel and a muffin and you waste around 2 hours of your day. Most everything they told us there I had already found out before we left home. So it wasnt worth it for us.
We went on the snorkle to Molokini and Lanai. We enjoyed Molokini a lot more. Lanai was very rough...too rough for me and my family to stay in the water for very long. We also went to the Old Lahaina Luau. I thought it was very good. We got the traditional seating and we had a great view but probably would have enjoyed sitting in a chair more. Also, people in traditional seating gets to get food last which was hard when we had to see everyone else eating and we were starving. The open bar was great though (try the lava flow drink...they also make delicious virgin lava flows). But all in all or trip was WONDERFUL. And it was nice to be able to come back to the condo and have a fridge full of snacks/drinks waiting. We couldn't have asked for much more from this resort...we would recommend it to anyone! Aloha!

• Stayed November 2005
13 Thank annette2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2005

My husband and I vacationed with my parents at the Kaanapali Shores Oct 13-17. We stayed in a 2 bdr/ 2bath condo on the 8th floor and it more than exceeded our expectations.

The unit was clean and well appointed. We had a couple of light bulbs that had blown out, but when we called about it the staff fixed it right away. We were impressed with the location, the roominess of the condo, and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff which let us relax and just enjoy our vacation.

The tour staff were informative and helpful. I'm sure they tend to steer tourists to certain tours, but I cannot complain because we enjoyed every single tour and trip they recommended. If you like to snorkel - the Molokini trip is awesome!

We never went to the Star Market across the street, but did go to Safeway in town, which was easy to find so we were able to get a few things to put in the fridge.

We didn't get in the water at the beach at the hotel, but we didn't see a problem with it at all. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. We didn't use the pools, but they seemed to be maintained very well.

The only sticking point was having to pay $9.00/day for parking, but I quickly found that free parking on Maui is a rare and wonderful thing!

I highly recommend the Kaanapali Shores. Stay on one of the upper floors in an oceanview condo. We had a great view of the ocean even though we weren't close to the beach.

12 Thank cbran
ches,virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2005

I had been searching and searching hotels and places to stay for my trip to maui and chose this hotel boy did I ever hit the jackpot I got a great rate.I stayed one week for under a thousand dollars with my discounts and this property is beautiful inside and out I was a little unsure about this hotel because it was rated number 44 on this site but I looked at some of the up to date reviews and chose this property the grounds are beautiful the condo was spacious had everything I needed and more. the service was great and views are wonderful mind was supposed to be only a paking lot view I turned my chair around on the lanai and could still see the ocean this one was of my best experiences ever with 3 star property.I will definitely come back....

8 Thank zeetraveler
South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

My fiance and I had been planning our October wedding on Maui since January and we had put a lot of time into making this a memorable time in our lives. We travelled from Adelaide, Australia with our retired parents. Our travel agent recommended the Kaanapali Shores to us for it's price and location - we are so glad we stayed at this resort, all of us agree we would stay there again. The rooms were very clean, and nicely laid out - they were not as posh as some resorts but just how much time does one stay in their room when on holiday?! Our parents ate at the in-house restaurant and praised the food and value for money. I had my hair and make-up done at the Salon on the grounds and the girls there were friendly. I had read on trip advisor that the gardens were beautiful and well kept; they certainly were - in fact on our wedding day my fiance and I met next to the waterfall an hour before travelling to the ceremony so we could have photos taken in such beautiful gardens.

For those planning on getting married on Maui the following information may be useful to you: we looked at a number of wedding coordinators before choosing Shasta from Maui Weddings From The Heart, I liked her website and we found her reasonably priced. We had an unfortunate experience with a harp player named Lisa who we booked and paid for privately - knowing what we know now about "Lisa" I would not recommend her at all and apparently she has quite a reputation for thinking "she is the guest of honour" at YOUR wedding and arriving late! Shasta booked us another harpist with less than 3 weeks notice. We booked Star Limousines - we found this company over the internet and they were much cheaper than others we had looked at, the limo was very nice and Dennis made friendly conversation with us on the way back to the hotel. We looked at possible locations the day before the ceremony and chose the Makena Beach Park (next to the Maui Prince Hotel and golf course) for a 4.30pm wedding. This is a very popular spot and understandably so, it is a gorgeous location. We were told it may be difficult to hold the ceremony on the hilltop overlooking the water as "everyone" wants to hold their ceremony there (this site is free, but less than 1 minute walk away in the grounds of the Maui Prince the same location will cost $700+) - we got to the park 30 minutes early and there were no other couples until 4.30pm when 3 more weddings were held - as we were there first they had to use the actual beach, we held the ceremony then went onto the sand for more photos. After the photos we walked across the grounds of the Maui Prince to the Prince Court Restaurant within the hotel for our wedding dinner. The Maui Prince is a higher rating hotel than the Kaanapali Shores and is a lovely hotel with very nice gardens, but the grounds are no better than the Kannapali Shores. The Prince Court was a wonderful venue to hold our special dinner. The food and service were excellent and I would not hesitate to dine there again. The whole day was wonderful and we are now left with spectacular memories of our special day.

Also during our time on Maui we travelled the road to Hana - yes, it was lovely and the views spectacular but we didn't find this to be "an absolute must do" like we had read from other holiday makers, and it surprisingly takes a lot longer than it would first seem to get there and back so you need to question is it worth it.

After seeing the David Paul Restaurant in Lahaina on a travel show we felt we had to eat here. We had a romantic dinner the evening after our wedding and found this place fantastic (I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for the wedding dinner but very good for any other time).

As we got married on Maui this island will always be special to us, but I can honestly say we loved this place and although it has been less than a month we dream of going back there. I hope your holiday / wedding is as good as ours was.

8 Thank TNT123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2005

My wife and I just got back from celebrating our 18th Anniversary along with her sister and husband who were celebrating their 5th. We stayed there from 10/15 through 10/21. All the horror stories I read prior to going were not present. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit #813 that had a great view of the ocean and one of the pools and was very nicely updated. The Sunrises and Moon sets at the same time were AWESOME! The only problem we had was the closet doors in one room did not work well upon check in. We mentioned this to the staff and since we were checking in at 11pm, they asked if they could fix it the next day. After returning from the beach the next day, it was fixed. The staff was great and our rooms were cleaned before noon everyday. The grounds are well kept and I was surprised as to how nice they are. The pools are nice and were not crowded at the time we were there. In the summer when kids are out of school, that might be a different story. We used the entire $100 credit at the bar sampling each day the "drink of the day". Yes, the beach in front is not the best beach in Maui. However, it was better than some of the reviews I read. You can take a short walk down the beach and fine a wider section of sand to lay out in. The Restaurant food is average as we ate there for breakfast and dinner once. The lunches were far better and they will serve you poolside. Carla at the activities desk was great and she really helped us out in booking activities. We will be coming back next year with the kids!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

I would like to recommend to anyone visiting Maui to stay at the
Kaanapali Shores hotel. My weeks stay was wonderfull. The people working at this resort are polite, informative, and go out of their way to make one feel comfortable - also with providing local directions. My room was kept spotless, and cleaned promply each morning.
The rooms are quiet and nicely furnished.
the first morning, guests are invited to an island orienatation. All activities are discussed, along with sites to see on Maui. The activity desk personel we very knowledgeable and excellent to make reservations for all activities.

Resturaunt on the grounds, sits on the beach, open air, with an excellent cuisine with reasonable prices- and good service. the garden area is beautifull.
The gym loated at the resort was an excellent facility

Please stay at Kaanapali Shore the next time you visit Maui. I can assure you, I most certainly will.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

Had an enjoyable stay at the ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores. Stayed there for 7 nights starting from October 1.

Overall - The property is accurately described in some of the other reviews.

Room - We stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean view room. If you can spend a little bit more, the ocean view is well worth the difference. Both the living room and bedroom have ocean views. Otherwise, in the garden view room, your bedroom might face the parking lot. The room had everything needed including a washer and dryer. Room was clean and the furniture was fairly new.

Pool - Depending on what you are looking for, the two pools are – two pools. They are not spectacular in anyway, but functional. There is an evening hula show at one of the pools that’s worth checking out.

Restaurant - Our package included $100 food credit at the restaurant. Though there isn’t any room service, the restaurant allows takeout. (The view from our 8th floor was much better than the view from the restaurant.) Fairly typically hotel/restaurant menu and food quality. Though the turnaround time for orders was excellent.

Location - The property is located on the North side of Kaanapali beach. Out of everything the beach was the most disappointing part of this location. I previously stayed at the Westin (located near Whaler’s Village) and that part of Kaanapali beach is very nice. This part is very steep, a little narrow, the surf is a little rougher and has a slight undertow. The beach itself had a lot of seaweed. It wasn’t my ideal Maui beach. If you don’t mind walking about 10 minutes south along the beach, you’ll find it to be much better. Since we had two young children (2 & 4) in our party, we ended up driving to Lahaina’s baby beach and Kapalua bay a few times. Lahaina’s baby beach is located behind some houses. The surf is very calm, so kids won’t get knocked down. If you want a good beach for toddlers, ask and get directions. You won’t be disappointed. Kapalua bay is located between Napali and Kapalua. It’s a good beach for playing in the sand and snorkeling. It also has public parking and restrooms.

Other amenities: A small strip mall is located across the street with a Star market. Star has most everything you will need, but if you plan major cooking, stop at Safeway in Lahaina. The Pizza place is decent for a quick bite. Going north there is an ABC store, past that location is a great little coffee shop and a snorkel shop.

Final thoughts – If you are looking for a condo, with good amenities consider the ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores. If you require an excellent beach within walking distance from your room, consider other locations.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member