“Comfort & Convenience in Paradise at Aston Kaanapali Shores” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Michigan
“Comfort & Convenience in Paradise at Aston Kaanapali Shores”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2005

My family and I (four adults) spent the week of January 10th at the Aston. I was nervous about the room we would stay in due to the reviews and limited pictures on their website. But rest assured when we walked into our room, we found a very up to date and spacious suite. We stayed in room 148 which is a garden suite so I chose the ground floor; I love waking up in the morning and opening the veranda doors to the lush scenery while having breakfast or lounging around. This room is also tucked away on the grounds so people aren't constantly walking right outside. The birds sang & chattered to greet you each morning, but you can barely hear them with the glass doors shut.

You enter the suite from the parking lot side, at the opposite end is a wall of sliding glass so you have a beautiful view of the grounds and meandering creek. Most of these units are owned by other people who rent them out or something like that, so the decor is up to the owner (I think). Either way, I asked for an updated room and we got one. The kitchen came complete with dishes, dish washer, microwave, coffee pot, an island and a washer & dryer. The bedroom had a very comfortable King size bed and the living room had a comfortable pull out. Only one bathroom though.

The lobby and the grounds immediately made you feel like you were in Hawaii! I had Afternoon Tea at the Ritz while there and have to say, their lobby and grounds are not nearly as sunny and beautiful (although much larger) and there is no beach either.

Upon check-in we also received a $100 credit to the restaurant which has very good breakfast items. We ate breakfast once and lunch once. The pools and hot tubs (two of each) are both completly renovated and the glass wall separating the pool from the ocean helped keep the breezes down which was nice as you emerged from the nicely heated pool (not very warm, but comfortable).

The staff at Aston was very friendly and not once did I see any bugs. There were plenty of lawn chairs at the pools, on the expansive lawn and the beach. You do have to rent the shaded ones though. I recommend bringing beach shoes since much of the coastline can be rocky whether it be Maui or Oahu.

There is a shopping center within walking distance of the hotel complete with Subway, grocery and an internet cafe. The hotel does offer interent at $10/24 hr. We did not use it. Parking was $9 a day. Aston is 5 - 10 min drive from Lahaina which is very convenient for many restaurants and lots of souvenir shopping. There is a large free lot at the end of the strip, about half a block east of the big banyan tree. Time limit 3hrs, but we always found a space. I bought groceries once at the market in Lahaina and it was so expensive, especially fresh fruit! $13 for 3 lb of grapes! Lunch meat, cheese and bread were decent so we had a few economical lunches and snacks for our long road trips to Hana and the Botanical Gardens.

We ate at the following: ROY'S - very noisy, good food, ran out of stuff; KIMO'S -decent food, lovely view; BUBBA GUMP - like any other chain, right on the Beach, MAUI TACOS - must have, tucked away, TEA AT THE RITZ - must do if you enjoy Tea, it was superb, generous and delicous. Held in the Library overlooking the tiered pools and ocean. If you want to eat at Cheese Burger in Paradise, get there early early early. The Old Lahaina Luau is a must, reserve your seating as soon as you know you are coming so you get close to the stage although not seat is really bad the way they have it set up. Food is better than most Luau's but the show and location are the BEST! There are also some nice hospitality surprises when you arrive. And don't wait in line at the bar, your server can get you all of your drinks.

My family and I strolled the grounds many times and even spotted the whales swimming around and breaching on several occasions. I still recommend a whale watch tour so you get up close and personal, they can be pretty cheap at $20 (winter months only). Everyone was friendly, onsite outdoor massage & salon, free hula lessons and luau shops on the premises, and across the street were convenient, pools clean, grounds immaculate... I can't think of one thing I can complain about it. Loved it and would gladly return, especially to room 148! Enjoy your trip... ALOHA :)

25 Thank Escapee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2005

The hotel grounds, lobby, pools, and room layout is very nice. If ocean view at an affordable price is your priority, however, then I wouldn't stay here again. The Studio Partial Ocean View room actually overlooks the parking lot, and to see the ocean, you have to stand pressed against the far right wall of the lanai to even get a slight glimpse of the ocean. I like to leave my patio door open at night to hear the roar of the ocean waves, but could not in this room due to parking lot noise. We asked the second day to be moved to a different unit, but were told that all rooms at that price level overlook the parking lot. I stayed at the Aston Mahana right down the beach from this hotel last year, at was really spoiled by the spectacular, full ocean view of all the units there. For not much more money, I will return to the Mahana on my next visit.

6 Thank Rich064
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2005

The hotel was great! We had a two bedroom condo that was very spacious! It was tastefully decorated and was comfortable for our stay. The staff was very nice and helpfull for any questions you had. It was a tough time getting chairs by the pool or beach but we always managed to snag a couple for our group and i dont mind lounging on a towell on the sand.

The only complaint i have is that we were overlooking the hottub and the pool and you culd hear everyones conversations and it went well into the night. In the late hours of the night through early morning all you culd hear were the birds coming back into the tree! i was woken up every morning by this.

Overall, it was a nice place to stay with acess to grocery store and food places. we did not eat on the property but i would probably stay here again

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Webster, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2005

We had two different condo seeing that there were 8 of us including two 1 year olds. Both were clean and looked out to the ocean/pool. The maid service was so so. They sometimes cleaned the kitchen and most times did not. Mostly did the bed and towels. My one complaint was the parking and crib charges. Can you believe that we paid for 8 days 200 dollars for the cribs. I could have bought new portacribs for that price!!! Also 9 dollars a day for parking. I saw some people park in the shopping center across the street and then walk over. It is enough that you have to rent a car but to pay for parking is another story. We visited two other island and did not pay for parking at either location.

other than that, it was a great location for a family get together.

8 Thank granprof
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2005

We booked for a five-night stay at the Aston Kaanapali Shores Condo from 12/22/04 to 12/27/04.

When we drove up to the complex it was very pretty. All the decorations for Christmas looked great. Once inside, seeing the garden area was another plus. The staff was pleasant. It was when we got into the unit (703) that we encountered some problems.

I researched the condo on their website. We wanted a two-bedroom oceanfront unit. We were thinking we were getting the unit on the website. We found out later, that unit is the Aloha suite. Once inside our unit, I was a little disappointed.

We arrived late in the day and the unit was very cold due to the air conditioning being on all day. We noticed that the beds only had a sheet and small blanket on them. When it was bedtime, my children asked for another blanket. When we couldn’t find any, I called the front desk/housekeeping and was told they didn’t have any left. They wouldn’t get anymore until the next day. We turned the air conditioning unit off and opened the windows and that is when we heard it. Our unit was located diagonally behind the restaurant. All you could hear is the roar of the restaurant fan. It is so loud, it drowns out the sound of the ocean. We found out the next morning that they turn the fan on at 5:30am and it doesn’t shut off until 10:00 and 10:30pm. We couldn’t even sit out on the deck because it was so loud. It was a very big disappointment.

That same evening, I began to put the groceries away when I found a dead roach in one of the cabinets. It was the only one we saw in the days we were there but it still upset me.

The next morning we got the kids ready to go to the main pool. I went to sign out the beach towels and there were none left. The recreation desk said they were on their way. Myself, and another lady waited twenty minutes and they still didn’t come. I should also mention that there was no beach/pool chairs left either. We were later told to come down very early and put a towel on the chair if you plan on staying on the beach or around the pool for the day. We were forced to buy a beach cabaña for the day just to sit down.

When I went to the front desk to complain about the blankets and towels, the only response she could give me was that they (complex) were really busy and they didn’t have any towels or extra blankets to give me. She went on to say that their busiest day was yet to come (12/26).

It was when we got back to our unit when the straw broke the camels back. Due to the fact that the fan from the restaurant was on all day, and if you didn’t want to hear it you needed to keep the air conditioner on which defeats the purpose of getting an oceanfront room, this unit is located just outside the master bedroom. It got so loud, it rattled and vibrated. I couldn’t sleep with that noise either. It must be the original unit and needs to be replaced. That same night, the fire alarm for the complex went off about 2 o’clock in the morning. It woke us all up and we were told that it was a false alarm.

The next day I asked to be moved to another room. We were paying a lot of money for this unit and it seemed as each day went on, the noise got louder. I couldn’t decide which noise was worse. I offered to pay the difference to get another room. They said they were completely booked and had no other room for me.

I have since wrote Aston properties and told them of our problems and they need to fix some things. We found out after coming home that we paid double to almost triple the room rate because it was the Christmas holiday. It was too much money for what we got.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2005

We stayed at the Ason Kanapalli Shores for our Honeymoon in October 2004 . Our room was very nice and we had a great view from our balcony. We loved that all the staff was more than willing to help with any of our Questions. Unlike other reviews we never saw an insect in or around our room. The reasturant on the premise was great and the food excellent. Despite renovations to the Main pool we could not have stayed at a better place. I reccomend this Hotel/ Condo to anyone planning a trip to Maui. Infact we plan to return to Maui this year and stay at the Aston Kanapalli Shores.

• Stayed October 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2004

We stayed at the Aston Kaanapali Shores Dec 4th-9th and loved it! Staff was great! We had a 1 bedroom condo (which was really nice with 2 younger children) and were upgraded to an ocean view that was very nice. The unit was very nice with the full kitchen and washer/dryer. The grounds were beautiful, pools were wonderful and it was very nice to have a beach right there. Restraunt at the place was good (our kids didn't like many of the kids menu selections however). We received ASTONishing deals coupon book that we used for various restraunts and activities. The activities desk (which has a free orientation the first morning after you arrive) was very helpful. We went on a snorkeling cruise that was wonderful, a luau to the Royal Lahina Luau and both were very nice. We would definatley recommend staying here and would stay here again. There is a shopping center across the street with a grocery store, but if you want to save money go down the street to Safeway. Lahina is a very nice town to walk around and visit. We really enjoyed Maui and this Condo unit.

• Stayed December 2004