“very relaxing, great service, nice accomodations”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
california
“very relaxing, great service, nice accomodations”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This resort was the perfect blend of hotel-like service with the ammenities of a condo that are so helpful to have wihen you are traveling with a small child. We loved having a separate bedroom and a kitchen while also enjoying daily room cleaning services, an on site restaurant, and concierge services.
The only feedback would be to separate the concierge services from the tour booking. We had to wait in line to ask directions and they seemed less helpful than if we were booking a paid tour.

1 Thank emmedog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My family and I stayed at Kaanapali Shores (our 5th or 6th time?) from April 4 to April 11. There were 8 of us, and we had two of the 2-bedroom suites. Our stay was absolutely excellent, again. My wife and I are already planning a return trip in September, and we will be staying here again.

This facility is probably the best value for the buck on the entire island. The rooms, especially the renovated ones, are very nice and the beds are extremely comfortable. The grounds and common areas are impecably maintained. And the staff is friendly and attentive. Diane in the bar is awesome, and Myron in the restaurant is hilarious! A word about the restaurant...it is somewhat expensive, but quite a bit less so than at the other nice hotels. Dining in Lahaina, depending on where you go, is not going to cost much less. So if you're tired and don't want to hop in the car, the food is quite good and reasonably priced by Maui standards.

The last reviewer commented on a very narrow beach. We were here in October and the beach was at least twice as deep from the property line to the water. I suspect the winter tides have sucked alot of the sand away, but it will be back in a few months.

If you're looking for a really nice place for your vacation but have to watch the budget a bit, this is the place. We highly recommend it to everyone. Mahalo for reading, and aloha!

2 Thank welovehawaii2
Springfield, IL
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here for a week and left on Easter day. This is a pretty decent hotel but the rooms vary A LOT so be aware. Because of a missed flight and the size of our group (there were nine of us) we ended up staying in five different rooms over the course of the week. For the first five days, we stayed in two 2-bedroom ocean VIEW suites. (Ocean VIEW means that they overlook the garden but you can see the ocean in the background. If you want right on the ocean, book the ocean FRONT room.) The suites were right next to each other (923 and 925). 923 was updated with granite countertops, showers, etc. However right next door at 923, there's was not. Not a bad room but just a little outdated. I was glad we got the updated one! Then we had to switch to three single suites on our last day (long story - but not their fault). Room 824 was really outdated and not too clean (the drop ceiling above the shower actually had large critters up there. eww!) but on the other hand, another party in our group was put in room 905 and this room was AWESOME. Not only did it have the granite counter tops, but it also had all new appliances, a mirrored wall, and an awesome view. My point here is that if I stayed there again, I would call the day before my arrival and request the newest remodeled room available.
Before I left I had read about how the beach area was crowded, too rocky to swim in, and the two hotel pools were crowded, blah blah blah. During our stay, neither pool was that bad. And I hate a crowd. But it was totally do-able. Don't let this scare you. Now if you're one of those people that have to have a chair to lounge in the sun for hours - then yeah, get there early to secure a chair. Otherwise, no worries. They have a "kidney" shaped pool that doesn't get any deeper than 4' which was awesome for our little boy with special needs.
Yes, the beach directly in front of the hotel is small and VERY rocky. By rocky, I mean there are giant rocks and pieces of coral that make walking in the surf almost impossible. And if you try to swim it, the waves will knock you into the rocks. OUCH. BUT - - - all you have to do is walk about 15 yards to the left (look for the orange balls) and there's a nice stretch of sand to lay out on and a much less rocky beach to swim at. In addition, it's calm - no major waves there - so it's perfect for the little ones. More adventurous folk with boogie boards, etc. may want to walk a little further down for more wave action. Wear swim shoes though!! I cut my toe on a piece of coral on the first day. NOTE---->>>> I don't care how old you are - upon checking in, go to the hotel swim shop and buy a snorkel set. Go out to that beach I was telling you about and you can snorkel to your heart's content. There's lots of colorful fish and cool coral - - right in your backyard! We didn't discover this until the day we left. OH and buy some swim shoes!!! You can either buy them at the gift shop for $16 or across the street at the Star Market for $10.
A couple other notes about Maui in general - - there is little to no nightlife there. My husband and I would have liked to have seen some live rock music but the closest we found was a couple with a guitar singing "Time of Your Life." zzz Locals told us that nightlife is nill on the island. For rockin' nightlife, go to Oahu. But it's a trade off because of the heavy crowds.
Another note - - the girls and I wanted to go shopping. And we looked and looked for cool shops. The only two places worth checking out is Whaler's Villiage off of Kaanapali Pkwy (awesome!!). The other was Front Street in Lahaina. Tons of galleries, jewelry shops, etc. Surf/swim shops ABOUND HERE. Be prepared to see lots of t-shirt shops and not much else.
For food, we went to Moose McGillicuddy's and the Fish Store on Front Street, and Mama's Fish House (10 mins ease of the main airport). The first two weren't bad - but Mama's has to be seen to be believed. It's worth the extra drive. But note, it's very expensive. My entree cost $54. Very good food but you're paying for atmosphere here too.
Can't think of anything else I would have liked to know before hand - - oh there's only one onsite restaurant and it's very expensive. We went to the store ('cause each room has a kitchen) and spent $280 for three meals!! Anyway, if you guys have any questions - let me know. We went on a helicopter ride, zip-lining, dinner cruise, snorkel/snuba cruise, and my husband golfed at "The Plantation" which he said was the most beautiful golf course he'd ever seen. We also went to the Lahaina Luau which was a big favorite of the group. We had a great time.

2 Thank ParisRain
Alaska
Reviewed April 13, 2009

When we checked in at the front desk we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite and it was the best ever...I had two teenagers and my two younger kids with me .We had our own space to do whatever we wanted.The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Denise T. and Family

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank miiyuk00
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We stayed at the Kaanapali Shores from March 22nd through March 29th. The hotel was easy to find and the grounds were very well maintained. Check in was a breeze and due to low occupancy we were able to upgrade our 2nd floor garden view room to an ocean view room on the 6th floor - room 606, for an additional but discounted fee. We told the person at the check in desk it was our anniversary and he sent a bottle of champagne to our room later that afternoon - a very nice touch.

We parked the car and took our bags up to the room. The condo was nicely furnished, and appeared to be recently remodeled. The furniture was comfortable and there was plenty of space for all of our things. The lanai looked out over the north side of the building, so no sunset views, but we were close enough to the water’s edge that we still had great views of the water and the lanai was very private. The property just north of the Kaanapali Shores is a 3 story, apartment-like property that we partially looked over. We were able to sleep with the lanai door open at night and could hear the sounds of the waves from our bedroom. The bath was nicely apportioned, with amenities provided. Our only complaint about the room was that it took me 4 days to figure out how to pry the bedroom window open so we could hear the sounds from the ocean better at night!

The staff was friendly and efficient. Our towels were replaced daily and the room straightened and the bed made by the cleaning staff. The room was fully cleaned with the trash removed on Wednesday. The compact washer / dryer came in handy and we purchased additional laundry soap from the sundries shop on the ground floor as needed. We had one dinner and one breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food was good quality – not spectacular, but not bad either. The wait and bar staff was very nice and provided very good service. We didn’t see any evidence of rodents or bugs our entire stay. Again this is not a 5 star hotel and for the money I think it was very good value.

The strip mall just across the road from the hotel was in easy walking distance. We went grocery shopping there several times for breakfast items and once for dinner. We also ate at Pizza Paradiso one evening. The pizza was good and reasonably priced – again not spectacular, but reasonable value for the money on Maui.

The grounds were well kept and the pool clean. We attended the Wednesday 5:00 PM hula on the pool deck and again it was nice – not spectacular, but entertaining.

We did not use the gym as $10 per person per day was a bit much, but we did experience a couples massage on the beach. It was not the most relaxing experience we've ever had as it was quite windy that afternoon and the tent we were in - with flaps closed for a smidge of privacy - seemed at times like it would do it's best 'Wizard of Oz' imitation and fly away. We stayed grounded and enjoyed the massages as best we could.

We would definitely stay there again and may consider doing so for my wife’s parent’s 60th anniversary next year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I went with this hotel since it had a lot of reviews and the scores were generally high. The fact that it listed 900 square feet and a full kitchen was the biggest attraction. My wife, myself and our three girls (4, 6, and 8) went from 3/23 - 3/30. I was a little worried since the price was one of the lowest out there. After doing a lot of research and reading through countless reviews, I took the chance. Boy am I glad I did. Not only is this place a great price, but our room was AWESOME. When it says living room, one bedroom and a full kitchen, they are not lying. Plenty of room, a home away from home. The bed was comfortable, the kitchen looked like it had all new appliances, and there was just plenty of room for this family of 5.
The Internet connection was at 100% and I never had an issue connecting. The main pool was warm, and the kiddy pool was great for the kids (little cold). This place is located right on the beach, everyday we would walk to the ocean without any shoes on any of us. The beach was clean and the views were spectacular. You did have to walk a little way down to reach a sandy entrance to the ocean, but it was great snorkeling (albeit I am a beginner). The lobby and the grounds were immaculate, right down to the nightly tiki lighting. The restaurant there was adequate, and the food was decent.
I miss sitting on the lanai and seeing the sun set.
Two things I would change: More availability of towels, and a little friendlier at the front desk. Butch runs a great place and I would definitely refer to my family and friends. Any vacation of mine will be stayed at this hotel. Thanks!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank monsteve21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We had a large group going for a 1 week vacation. 4 families, 2 with kids ages 5 mo -10 yr stayed in 1-Bedrooms, and the other in a studio. While we had the "Garden View" , on the 5th floor we could see both: the lush trees and flowers as well as the ocean and even the susnset. I loved the fact that they never ran out of beach towels, and we didn't have to deal with signing them out, or making sure to return them by the end of the day. Don't miss the huge Koy fish in the pond!
The 2 pools were perfect for all ages. One was kidney shaped with a depth of 3 ft all around, the other was 3ft-6ft? gated and more for adults, although they also had scooba lessons in there during the day. There were 2 hot tubs, one on the side of the kidney pool (a bit too hot at times), and the other right next to regular pool (perfect temp). There was also a short-grass open lawn area where you could lay, relax, or run around with the kids. By the evening both pools were warm and very pleasant after being out in the sun all day.
Beyond the pool, a few steps took you down to a narrow strip of beach where the water was a bit rocky. But, just 200 feet to the left there was a more sandy area where you could walk out, swim and snorkel. I saw 5-6 varieties of fish and was still able to stand (about 4 feet in). While they rent out eqipment, it's smarter to just drive to Lahaina and buy the snorkel gear.
They have 1 restaurant and we went there for lunch twice. Everything was good, I recommend the fish tacos, coconut shrimp salad, and the amazing Rum-soaked Bread Pudding. But, if you order a pizza on the kids menu, you may get a Hot Pocket instead. From their Snack manu, the eggrolls and both chicken wings were also very good.
The staff was friendly and accomodating. We had 2 cribs for the babies in the family. Room cleaning was very efficient, except for one day. Plenty of space, nice decor..nothing posh or modern, but clean and sturdy. No sense of old..no mold, mildew or cracking...great condition.
Location: about 45 minutes from the major aiport. Lahaina and the shoppes are about 10-15 minutes away. Black Rock beach was only a 5 minute drive and had the best snorkeling with giant Turtles and beautiful, calm, clear water. The beach is public, but is adjacent to the Sheraton.
So, overall, a great experience and would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business