Aston Kaanapali Shores
$639
$420
$407
$595
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$285
$459
Hyatt.com
$519
$415
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Aston at Papakea Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$270
$249
Hotwire.com
$1,325
2,700 results
All reviewsthe beach club restaurantfull kitchengrocery storealoha suitegarden poolocean viewamenity feewasher and dryerstrip mallbedroom condoon site restaurantjava jazzparking feetennis courtsper daybeautiful groundsfitness center
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I had an interesting and polarizing experience at the Aston Kaanapali Shores. We stayed 6 nights, which allowed me to get a holistic view of the property & amenities.

The good -
This is a very good location for both north and south Maui excursions. I adored the comfortable island decor in each suite. The pricing is also very competitive, especially if, like us, you are traveling with a group of people.

The landscaping is serene and beautiful. The $10 morning beach yoga right on-site is a nice touch. There are 2 pools and a decent poolside bar. We visited the pool at least once every day.

You can also rent boogie boards and more right at the poolside concierge, then take those 1 mile north to Fleming's Beach for quality boogie-boarding.

I also really enjoyed the little artist's market in the hotel lobby on Fridays, and the on-site professional photography session.

The not-so-good:
We unexpectedly stayed in 3 different rooms during our stay. This was due to a termite infestation in the first room, and a shuffling about to accommodate us in other rooms after that. I have to say that being on an island, there are sometimes bugs. I don't think this was an issue with the hotel staff or overall cleanliness that we encountered the bugs. However, the experience showed off a true problem with the polarizing competency of the staff. I wish it had been handled better.

I was happy with the staff the night we encountered the infestation of bugs in our bed. They were prompt and very helpful. They arrived with an inspector to determine the species of bug, and quickly helped us pack up our bags and move to a new room.

The next day's experience, however, was truly obnoxious when they kicked us out of our accommodations without a new room to house us in. The woman working the front desk clearly lacked in training and tact. She acted like it was our fault that we were being shuffled about (plus, referred to my 60 y/o mother as an elderly woman to her face!)

We dealt with 3 different staff members that morning as they tried to move us about into a new room, and each one would blame the other staff for their confusion. I would recommend to the management that they retrain the staff to be more service-oriented and consistent. We all know problems happen from time to time, but the fact that so many of the staff members were so poorly equipped to handle the issue throws up a red flag.

I was very surprised when on my way to our 3rd accommodations, we saw new people moving into the original termite-infested room. I'm unsure how they were able to rectify the infestation that quickly but out of tact, of course didn't want to worry the new tenants.

Overall, I feel the property has huge potential. It is a great value option given the suite-style layout of each room. However, I would not recommend this to friends or return myself unless I saw some serious improvement in the attitude and attentiveness of the staff. I hope this happens.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Leigh R
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. We appreciate your understanding of the fact that pest control issues such as the one you experienced can’t always be detected in advance; we do have an aggressive pest control program in place at the resort that includes a nationally recognized pest control company. We apologize for how your room move was handled. We take customer service very seriously here and will be revisiting with the parties involved to ensure against a similar, future result. After further research we now understand that a computer input error was at the root of the confusion and the service agent involved has received additional training. Your experience was certainly atypical of the friendly and efficient service levels that we are known for and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a more positive overall experience on a future visit.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our Diamond Resort was full and the overflow bookings are sent to the Aston Kaanaplai Shores, which we were asked about at booking time through Diamond. The resort was very nice and in the middle of being remodeled. Our room was OK, lacked a few things in the kitchen, but since we didn't do any big cooking, it was not a problem. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. All of the staff was very courteous and polite and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant on Mother's Day. It was very good and the service was excellent. We had drinks at the outside bar before and the gal tending the bar was very friendly and good service. We also had breakfast in the same restaurant twice, and it was very good with excellent service. I would recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Before accepting a room, ask to look at it and get the key from the front desk. They usually are very willing to do this.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon P
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Aloha Sharon,

Great to hear that you folks enjoyed yourselves! We hope to see you back on a future visit to our beautiful resort and island!

Mahalo!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were going to Maui for our daughters wedding and someone recommended the Aston Kaanapali Shores hotel because they had stayed there before. We looked into it and others and it seemed to be the best fit for our large group. When I checked in, I had been upgraded to a different room. When I stepped into the Penthouse Ocean Front Aloha Suite, It took my breath away !!! It was a top floor, ocean front, corner unit that had the MOST BEAUTIFUL view I have ever seen !! The 2 bedroom, 2 bath, room was massive !! It had a nice breeze blowing through it the whole time. Everyone in my group was envious of my room, even though their rooms were very nice as well. The hotel had one resturant, by the pool, that was great for full meals or just snacks and drinks by the pool. We snorkeled out front on the beach. Everyone was very kind and nice to talk to. I would definitely recommend it to others and I'd stay there again !!!

Room Tip: If you can afford to spend a little more, try to reserve an OCEAN FRONT ALOHA SUITE !! The corners have a BEAUTIFUL view and relaxing balcony !
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank karenr262
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Aloha Karen,

We were extremly happy to hear about your total enjoyment of the room you recevied and your overall vacation experience. Congratulations to your daughter on her wedding. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property the next time you visit Maui.

Aloha!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

The place has a retro feel, very clean, great location, and excellent beach. In fact the largest sea turtle I saw was 25 yards offshore behind the hotel. They have a huge mango tree that shades a portion of the beach that is an intoxicating location.

The hotel is walking distance to Duke's. They have a restaurant on location, but we did not try it. This place would knock it out of the park if they had SUP and kayaks to rent on the beach.

I have no idea what they want in terms of cash, we stayed through Diamond, which was a decent value for points--1,000 per night when I booked.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John D

Aloha . . . and thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are always thrilled to read that our guests enjoyed themselves at our resort! We are happy you were able to witness the sea turtles right off shore. The whales are awesome during whale season. We hope to welcome you back on a future trip to Maui.

Warmest Aloha.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

On arrival we were asked to not get our luggage out of the car, but to first check in. We were immediately asked to upgrade our two bedroom suite, with two king beds, for an additional fee of $60.00 per night, we declined the offer. We were told our suite had one king bed and two twin beds that when pushed together would make a king bed, which of course it would not. We were told someone would put the two twin beds together, they never did. We were then told to drive through the parking garage to the back lot and use the delivery entrance. There are no luggage carts at the delivery entrance and we were not offered any help with our luggage. Our suite smelled musty, the furnishings were well worn, and it was at the end of the hall where they were doing remodeling. Our party consisted of four seniors citizens. Coming and going from the delivery entrance we had no interaction with any staff. When maid service came to the room they made the beds but did not change the sheets, that was the first time I ever stayed anywhere that did not change the sheets! The pictures of a usable beach are deceiving, the beach shown in pictures is actually at the hotel next door, Aston Kaanapali Shores beach is very rocky and can only be walked on at low tide. I believe we would have had a completely different experience if we had upgraded. I don't believe we got what we paid for, would not recommend anyone go here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Mary W

We were sorry to learn of your disappointment with the unit assigned for you. This unit was assigned days before your actual arrival, so please understand that you were not placed within it because you chose not to take advantage of the upgrade opportunity that was offered. We will offer an excellent upgrade value to arriving guests if one is available because we want to provide our guests with an opportunity to enjoy their vacation to its fullest. This is a no-pressure option and guests are always free to stay within the accommodations that were originally reserved.

We’re sorry that you experienced noise from the unit next door. While it is always good news that upgrades are being done at a resort, unfortunately we don’t always have control over the schedule of the contractors that handle that work. We do ask that all contractors advise us if there is to be noisy work taking place as a part of their scheduled work, but as you might imagine this doesn’t always happen as planned.

With respect to your comment on the delivery entrance, this is only called a delivery entrance because it has a ramp in place next to it. It is not actually a “delivery” entrance. You were encouraged to use this entrance because it is the closest and most convenient entrance to your suite.

We do sincerely hope you were otherwise able to enjoy your Maui vacation experience and that should you choose to return to Maui, you will allow us the opportunity to provide the more typically positive vacation experience for which we’ve become known.