“Great Holiday Location”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
calgary,
“Great Holiday Location”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Shores Dec 30/12 - Jan 9/13. Our kids and their Significant others had a 2 bedroom unit and my wife and I had a 1 bedroom unit. We asked for adjoining units when we booked in August and that request was met. We asked for ocean view units and that request was met as well. The units were clean, tidy with all amenities we could want. The beds in both units were very firm and comfortable. The A/C worked like a charm. Daily maid service ensured the rooms were fresh everyday. Both pools were warm and clean and the facility as a whole was well cared for and clean and tidy. The staff were genuinely pleasant and friendly. Amenities are only a 2 minute walk across the street for groceries and outstanding pizza.
There are plenty of beach loungers and the beach was clean. The only negative we could add is not the fault of the resort. The beach is narrow and steep and rocky in the water as compared to, say the Kamaole beaches down in Kehei. Little kids would be better off at the pool; not an issue for our age group.
We really enjoyed the resort though and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends or stay there again. Price was OK as well Our rating would be excellent for the resort, backed off to very good due to the beach comment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Les B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I brought our baby boy to Maui for the holidays and my parents joined us there. Aston Kaanapli was in a great location: we were able to take our baby south to Whaler's Village and Kaanapali Beach when he woke up early in the morning from jetlag, and we were able to drive north to Kapalua Beach during his naps for excellent snorkeling (sea turtles!). We could also simply walk out to our beach and wander south along the sand.

We brought our baby to the pool almost every day, where he absolutely adored kicking and splashing the water. With a grocery store and coffee shop right across the street, and both our restaurant and the one at the Kaanapali Beach Club next door, meals were easy to plan. In the evenings, my wife and I were also able to play some tennis at the well-lit courts.

All in all, we had a fantastic time at the Aston, and hopefully we'll have a chance to return in the future!

Room Tip: Rooms on the southeast side next to the bus turnabout will experience some vehicle noise.
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We came to Maui for the New Year with a 14,17,and19 year old.They are a tough crowd. We arrived at unit number 903, and were overwhelmed by the gorgeous views as soon as we opened the door. We kept the door open all the time so we could hear the surf. We overlooked the pool and of course the beach. The 2 bedroom,2 bath condo exceeded all of our needs. The kitchen was well equipped, including soap for the washing machine(which I used), toiletries were abundant, and beach towels were traded for towel cards. We had free DVD rentals, however we did not rent a single one. There was never a hard time getting a beach or pool chair, and more than once all 5 of us were utilizing a chair. We all took numerous walks(or runs), saw monk seals, just had a great time. The staff was great,from housekeeping to waiters to front desk. The location of the resort was fantastic. A grocery store,subway,and snorkel shop were across the street, while an ABC store was a few doors north. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. The kids, along with my husband and myself had a trip of a lifetime!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sue Q
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Kaanapali shores. We had an ocean front one bedroom suite. The view of the ocean, beach and rainbows was great. The room was well maintained, well-cleaned, and well-equipped. The service was prompt and friendly. The rooms were a little small and the wind really caught in the patio doors- but those were minor. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Loved this place - I have nothing bad to say.

Our condo was a 1B/1B with a sofa sleeper. Nice kitchen and bathroom with new cabinets and granite counters. The carpet was brand new - or it smelled that way and was very clean. I never take my shoes off in hotels and I did here. We were on the fourth floor.

My husband and two daughters ages 10 & 14 and I were traveling with my parents. They were in a 1B/1B also. Our condos were down a short hallway and our doors were the only two in the hallway. We were able to leave the dead bolts on so the doors wouldn't lock and go between the two condos. This was nice when we were in a hurry and the girls would share Grandma and Grandpa's bathroom.

Their condo was almost identical to ours and was also very nice.

The staff were friendly and always smiling. The parking attendants were super nice. We like our privacy so we only had housekeeping in twice and would clean up ourselves. There was a broom and dustpan so I would sweep myself. The housekeeping staff were always courteous when we asked for towels. Sarah W. down by the pool helped us with some outside activities and gave us body boards and snorkeling gear for free for booking with her. She was very helpful and super nice.

The grounds were beautiful and there were always workers cleaning and trimming bushes - everything was gorgeous.

Our package included a $100 food credit in the restaurant. We had lunch twice and breakfast once. I'm not a good judge of food because I'm extremely picky but my husband said the marlin was excellent. I didn't care for the food and my kids complained too. The kids complained the portions were too small and my kids never finish all their food.

The pools were clean and I saw the maintenance man checking the chemicals a couple of times. We only used the pool closest to the ocean once and it was very warm which was nice after the cold ocean water. We didn't use the garden pool or either hot tub because we were busy outside of the resort.

I would stay here again. I like high end and clean and this met both.

2 Thank Donna M
London, Kentucky
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a super stay here over the Christmas break. We had one oc the two bedroom units in the 4 storey building. All of the staff were friendly and we felt very welcome. We found our unit to be very spacious, loved the daily maid service, and the daily newspaper. Complementary coffee ( that you made yourself in your well equipped kitchen) , sitting on the lanai watching the ocean was how we started each day. Miss that already....

Unit: spacious two bedroom. One king, the other two singles. Two bath, full kitchen, dining area, large living room, large lanai. Two tvs, two hairdryers, full size dishwasher, stove and fridge, microwave, coffee machine, blender. Pots and pans, eight piece china set, wine glasses, juice glasses and mugs. Daily maid service, daily newspaper.

Hotel: two pools, one by the ocean was very popular, two hot tubs,beautiful grounds, two tennis courts, pickle board court, shuffleboard, three gas barbeques, ample parking, shops on site, lending library, activity desk, free scuba lesson, restaurant, coffee bar,... Probably forgotton something

Beach: very narrow, very strong current, rocky. Although we rarely sat here, many others did. Children played at the edge of the water and had fun running away from the waves. For some thogh, the current was a bit much. Our son had surfing lessons here, and it was good for that.

Location: good for a beach holiday. There is a strip mall just outside with a supermarket. We got our food there and loved beiing able to just walk to it.

Restaurant: very good. Not a gourmet, but nice selection for reasonable prices. They cater to families so our son could have his burger while we had the catch of the day ( excellent by the way). Casual dress and no drive home was appreciated!

Birds: non issue just part of life in maui. They go off just after sunset and again at sunrise. If that is too early, then roll over and go back to sleep :-)

In short, this was a great place for a relaxing family vacation and we would happily recommend it again.

Room Tip: Garden view units will have partial ocean view. Avoid even numbered units ~ 14 thru about 40 unless...
3 Thank ukCorn
San Diego, CA
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The four of us were in a penthouse (9th floor) 2-bed, 2 bath, that cost over $600 a night (just got back from a week there). We had a lovely ocean view. The birds were loud, but super cool. Very tropical. There was quite a bit of room.

Internet: The first night, when we got there, we could not get wireless working, which sucked. I called down and they put me through to the Internet service people. I waited on hold for maybe 10 minutes (I know that's not long in the scheme of holding, but this was our first night in Maui so it wasn't what I wanted to be doing). I finally gave up and left my info via their voice mail option and hung up. Turns out (this was my fault) that I didn't give them enough info because I assumed the Internet people would know what hotel I was calling from as I figured it was in association with them as they patched it through, in hindsight a stupid mistake of mine, so obviously no call back. Sorry for the run on sentences. Anyway, in the morning, it still wasn't working. I called again and talked to the Internet people. He had me go find the modem - I had to put it down and go hunt for it - eventually I found it but it wasn't close to a phone so had to put phone down again - turns out the wireless part wasn't plugged in. KShores_OurRoomNumber was showing up, so it never would have occurred to us that it wasn't even plugged in. Once we plugged it in it worked, but it was just frustrating. I am assuming housekeeping must have accidentally unplugged it somehow, although considering its location in a corner behind the TV, not sure how. PLUS even when it was working, it didn't work very well. It was very slow most of the time, and the signal didn't really reach into my bedroom very well.

DVD system: it was cool to have unlimited DVDs from a kiosk, but many of the cool ones were not available. We did rent almost every night, but I'd say 90% of them had skips on them and froze so we had to skip chapters and miss parts of the movies. Still better than nothing. We also had some difficulty using the playstation as a DVD player - it sometimes worked right away, other times we had to re-seat it 4 or 5 times before it would work. At one point we called and asked for a new DVD player, they came up right away but didn't have one available, but they re-seated it and lucky for them it worked on the first try. I was embarassed and after that I had other family members carefully reseat the DVDs as I figured I had screwed up, but we still had difficulty. We could always eventually get it to work, but it took some fiddling.

TV: Our TV had something funky going on with the noise and so while we were trying to watch our DVDs we had to live with a really loud buzzing noise with the volume. We probably should have called and asked them to see if they could fix it, but it just never seemed worth the trouble.

Air conditioning: You have to make sure all the balconies are closed in a certain way before the a/c will turn on, for energy conservation sake, which is cool. But I guess ours wasn't working that well (even after confirming we had done it correctly and could hear it) as we would turn it down to 65 at night and it still was very warm. Two of us like it cold and two of us like it hot, so we just lived with the warmth for the sake of the other two.

Pools: Nothing special. Slightly chilly water. The hot tub often had young children playing in it, which I didn't like as I think of it as being a relaxation spot, but luckily when adults approached, they cleared out, which I appreciated it.

Beach: Limited in length and very thin strip. We only went to it once and otherwise went elsewhere to do everything.

Location: We appreciated it being very close to a grocery store and a snorkel rental place, etc. It was pretty convenient.

Clean: We never saw a single bug. Clean enough.

Kitchen/Fridge: Pretty clean, and pretty good appliances. The fridge froze all our food. I think it was on the highest level. We switched it to a medium level or so and then it was fine.

Bedrooms: I kind of had a sore back (and I'm only 30) but it wasn't too bad. I shared a bed with my mom and we didn't like the lack of light at night for reading. We each had a bedside lamp but it was still pretty dim. No overhead light over the bed. My bedside outlets were behind the bedstand and for example, my side had 2 - which were used by the lamp and the alarm clock. I ended up unplugging the alarm clock so I could use it to charge my phone and then would switch it out with my laptop.

Weird noise: The first and second night, my mom and I kept hearing this weird buzzing, vibrating noise. It woke both of us up several times and was super annoying. The second night I got up in the middle of the night and went to the area of buzzing to see if I could figure it out, but I couldn't. My mom figured it out the next day - the second glass panel down in the TV consul was freaking out for some reason, and would occasionally make loud buzzing noises due to vibrations. We reseated it and it was fine after that.

Here's the thing. I know it was an expensive room, but it felt like a cheap hotel room - the only thing that made it seem expensive was the ocean view. It was a nice ocean view though :)

Overall, I'm sharing in graphic detail because that's what I like to read. Some of the stuff I complain about I should have called down to the front desk about. Some of the stuff I feel like should be part of their checklist before letting new people in - ie, make sure all vital appliances are plugged in (such as the wireless!). Some of the stuff I think needs to be redone - like providing slightly more outlets (ie an easily accessible power strip) and better reading light. And some of it is totally just individual issues with our particular room that could be entirely different in other rooms.

Were all the service people friendly? Yes. Were the lines long? No. Were there any HUGE issues? No. Was it nice to spend a week with my family and especially a very generous family member who paid for it all? Yes.

Were the accommodations outstanding, considering the price? No, but they were certainly okay. Hence the title. It was okay. :)

I just spent like an hour reading the reviews of this place and I see they have someone who writes a several paragraph response to many of the reviews. I'm sure to mine they will say I should have communicated more and that the vast majority of people rate it much higher and that this is an anomaly. That's fine, I get it. The place was fine for us, and I didn't want to make a huge fuss every day over stupid small things, but overall it added up to a lot of small inconveniences. Nothing big in the scheme of things.

I definitely saw it as being child-friendly and it did have nice space so I do think most families would enjoy it.

PS: I wrote this long review off the top of my head and didn't edit at all and it's now 2am so I'm going to bed so I apologize for grammar/spelling/sentence structure issues.

11 Thank RandomLady82
2BFair, Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We thank this individual for sharing his/her views and perspectives and to the degree possible, will use them to help to avoid similar, future occurrences (i.e. data cable being unplugged, etc.).

Mahalo.