“Beautiful Family Vacation Spot”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Oklahoma
“Beautiful Family Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I have stayed here several times; most recently with my entire family. It is a beautiful place and very family-friendly.

Room Tip: The Aloha Suite is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

If you like rooms that constantly reek of automobile fumes because the parking garage opens onto your floor's halllway;

If you you like standing in line for 30 minutes in order to check in;

If you enjoy the smell of trash stinking up the hallways, sleeping on mattresses constructed of plywood, and hotel managers who scold you for having the audacity to question the shabby room you've been assigned;

If you enjoy paying $200/night for less than average accommodations, a beach that pelts your shins and ankles with rocks, and an isolated location that offers really no where to walk;

then, perhaps, the Aston Kaanapali Shores is for you! (But I think you can do better.)

4 Thank Meh001
2BFair, Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Judging by the overwhelming majority of very positive reviews we're received on this site, and the thousands of "repeat" guests that come back to Aston Kaanapali Shores, clearly this guest's experience was an anomoly and not representative of the more typical vacation experience that guests normally enjoy at the resort.

Not once in the last 10 years have we received a single complaint regarding either trash or automobile fumes in units. And, most folks really enjoy our beach and the wonderful snorkeling opportunities that it provides. One can also walk along the shoreline, or connect to the walk-path that stretches for a mile or more.

While based upon their review things didn't go as expected for these particular visitors, it would be unfair to use their experience as representative of what the resort offers in terms of service, amenities, or accommodations, all of which tend to be widely enjoyed by those who visit us.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We just completed an 11-night vacation at Kaanapali Shores, and I had to write to say how much we enjoyed our stay. The two-bedroom condo was recently updated and was very clean. Our unit (#258) was considered oceanfront, and although there were units closer to the beach than ours (we were three units back), we had a great ocean view. We could actually sit on our balcony and watch our kids swim at the beach if we wanted to. We noticed many other hotels and condo complexes are set pretty far back from the beach, but Kaanapali Shores is very close, allowing for a true oceanfront experience. We also had a great view of the pool.

One of the things we like best about this property is that it is conveniently located to everything (10 minutes to Kapalua, 5 minutes to Whalers Village, and 15 minutes to Lahaina). Also, it is not so large that the pool gets too crowded. The only drawback is that the beach isn't as wide at this part of Kaanapali. We would definitely stay here again!!!

4 Thank twostifflers
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Although somewhat older than many other places in the area, this hotel was nicely updated and most important, beautifully clean. The condo has everything you could need. There is a store with staples right in the hotel, a grocery store right across the street, and just a few miles to a Safeway for everything you can't find right there on the premises.

Each room has a great view and the balconies are constructed so you have complete privacy, so unless you are on the first few floors, you can safely sit on the lanai in your jammies or bikini without anyone next door glaring at you.

The elevators are rocket fast and take mere seconds when called. The staff is friendly and nice. The pool has towels for you to use and you are free to bring them to the beach that is only steps away. Parking spaces are abundant, and the fee for the night is $9.

The swimming and snorkeling right on the property is very nice, but a little rocky. We found by going just a short stroll to the right or the left of the hotel had fewer coral deposits.

I only had breakfast at the convenient restaurant on the premises and it was OK. I heard the food was average, in general, but I cannot personally attest to it. There are many choices within walking distance, so you won't ever get hungry.

I'd stay here again, and I am very, very picky! And as I mentioned, cleanliness is the most important thing to me and in that regard the place was 5 *****

Aloha!

3 Thank MimiLadybug2009
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I recently took my parents to Maui to celebrate my Dad's birthday and we stayed at Aston Kaanapali Shores (AKS). We had a very enjoyable and memorable trip. The accomodations are very comfortable with great views (try to book an ocean view room), and the property is well located-just off the beautiful beaches of Kaanapali overlooking the Pacific ocean. Staff were very courteous and helpful. Local Expedia experts are terrific in planning and booking local activities to make your stay fun. Overall, a great experience. AKS is well priced and highly recommended for all visitors whether they are on vacation with family, as couples or even for business. We'll be back some time and will be checking into AKS.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are great. The condos were well equipped, clean and serviced daily hotel style.
1 Thank Quantumraj
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

My husband, two sons (5 and 8), and I stayed here for 10 nights in unit # 844 (1 Bed, 1 Bath, pull out couch, ocean view). It worked out great; I loved having a full kitchen and washer/dryer. The unit was updated with slab granite and it was clean. The only thing missing from the unit is storage containers, so bring some small ziplocks and gallon sized baggies. There are also 3 grills you can use (near the tennis courts). And, yes, there are some really annoying birds in the back center courtyard area. In general, they were noisy from just before sunset to sunrise. There have also been a lot of gripes about housekeeping, but we didn't have any problems (they do come at inconsistent times during the day, though).
It was our first visit and I was worried about getting a bad unit (I booked our air/hotel through Travelocity, not VRBO) so I printed off a picture of the hotel (# floors, rooms numbers, configuration) from the 'Maui Revealed' book website. At check-in I asked what unit she had us in, I looked on my picture, decided I didn't like the unit location, showed her my picture and asked for something better. She was very nice about it and made the change right away. Also, the Maui Revealed book has an IPhone app that only cost $6, and it was really helpful to have as well as we explored the island. We stopped at Costco (next to the airport) on our way to the hotel. The bellhops carried everything up for us and later that night we went to the 'Times' grocery store across the street to pick up smaller quantity items. The hotel was full, but it never felt full on the grounds or at the 2 pools. The ocean next to AKS is okay; you can swim a little or play in the waves, but Kaanapali and Waliea beaches are a lot better. We rented boogie boards from Boss Frog's down the street (to the left as you leave the hotel). It cost $15/week instead of $25/week at the resort. My husband and I liked to take turns running; if you go to the left out of the hotel, you can run on a nice sidewalk through a residential area. AKS is a great location...only 10 minutes to Lahaina and there are several coffee shops within walking distance. We enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Print a picture of the hotel from 'Maui Revealed' website
1 Thank Kerander
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We booked this hotel by chance thru American Airlines Vacations in a package deal (we are from the Chicagoland area). I wasn't expecting very much for this price, but this hotel agreed to let a family of five stay in a one bedroom room suite. I went with the very basic one bedroom, garden view.
Was I surprised to learn that our room faced and had a view of the ocean! The grounds were very, very clean and well kept; the unit we stayed in recently remodeled. The mattresses in both the fold out couch and the bedroom were of a high quality. The kitchen has granite counters, white appliances and looked like cherry cabinets. Basic kitchen stock such as pots, utensils and plates were included. (For those who travel with children know that eating breakfast in your suite saves the big bucks.) Had two pools, two jacuzzis and a bar area. Private beach that was just extremely convenient and very relaxing.
Bought groceries at Times supermarket across the street--both quick and reasonably priced. Restaurants not to far from hotel. Had lunch at hotel once and it was good. By the Times grocery store there are two restaurants. One is more a coffee shop but very very good breakfast and the other had great pizza. Try both. I don't think you will be dissapointed!
Appeared to be one of those condo hotel deals. And I think this is a deal! Note: parking is not included in price. We went with the $19 per night deal (additional to the hotel room price) and this included movies and games from a kiosk on site and a daily package of coffee for the coffee machine. We were very pleased and highly recommend this hotel to anyone with kids that is looking for value.
Staff was very friendly and quick to respond to the one or two minor issues I had with the reservation.
I also understand that there are many owners so not all units are as nice as ours. But I understand this hotel went thru a renovation recently and it shows!

2 Thank JMK70