“Awesome Shrimp Tacos”

Down The Hatch Maui
Ranked #36 of 235 Restaurants in Lahaina
Description: Are you in the Lahaina, HI, area and looking to try something delicious? Down the Hatch is Maui's top takeout and curbside seafood restaurant, offering a multitude of choices that are guaranteed to get your mouth watering. This establishment was founded in 2015 by three native Georgians who have since migrated to Maui. They specialize in Hawaiian cuisine with a southern twist, creating every dish with locally caught seafood and dressing with fresh ingredients. There's no end to the delicious seafood options this takeout and curbside restaurant offers. Split some crispy calamari or lava lava shrimp as an appetizer for the whole group, and then dig into entrées like a grilled fish salad, macadamia-nut-crusted Mahi, or a lobster and crabbed stuffed grilled cheese. They also offer catering services to help make your weddings, birthday parties, and even boating outings a huge success.
Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

We went here on our trip to Maui for a late dinner and I had some awesome Lava Shrimp Tacos. Adult Shaved Ice was a bonus. Great environment and bartenders. Block away from the harbor

Date of visit: August 2019
Michael L, Manager at Down The Hatch Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2019

Aloha,

Thank you so much for the excellent review of our restaurant! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us so much! Hope to see you again soon for some Lava Lava shrimp tacos! Do not forget a an Adult Shave ice for desert!

Mahalo

Write a reviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

Terrible selection of food. Needs more variety. Everything was too spicy. The seating was terrible. It was so crowded that it took forever to get a table. Coleslaw needed to be cut up better. I dont see what all the hype us all about.

Date of visit: August 2019
Michael L, Manager at Down The Hatch Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2019

Aloha,

Im so sorry to read this review. I know some of our food can be spicy but we have plenty of options that are not and we can always put the sos. Im so sorry it was hard to find a table, we do it get busy but we are always here to help you in anyway we can. In terms of coleslaw, we don't serve coleslaw. If there is anything I can do to help you, this is my email, please let me know. Mike@dthmaui.com

Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

We were in Maui for 9 days this month and were looking for a new "go to" place for lunch that had good food for a good price. Although we tried several new places, nothing stuck out as a place we had to go back. That was until we came upon Down The Hatch. Once I saw LOBSTER AND CRAB STUFFED GRILLED CHEESE on the menu I knew that we were headed for a food coma. My wife loves cheese and lobster and crab and Hawaiian sweet bread and cheese (did I mention cheese?). Put them together and you have a sandwich that she'd die for. When her order arrived topped with the lava lava sauce she whipped out her phone and took a picture. My first thought was - "What has happened to her?" - she never takes pictures of her food. But she said this sandwich was a keeper. On the other had I ordered the Fish Sandwich (Ono) because I like Mango Salsa with my fish. To my surprise I had so much fish in my sandwich, I pushed the plate over towards hers to get it in the picture. And wow was it delicious. We agreed this will become one our go-to spots on Maui.

Fast forward to the following day on the way to the airport she asks me to stop by Down the Hatch to get lunch before we get on the plane. This time she ordered the.....LAVA LAVA SPICY CHICKEN SANDWICH? She never orders a Chicken Sandwich - this place has her hooked. I ordered the Fish Tacos because - which were some of the best on the island. Oh Down The Hatch what have you done? My wife is already planning her next order at Down The Hatch (and our next trip to Maui).

1  Thank ednlisam

Aloha,

Wow! This is one of my favorite reviews we have gotten. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out! Please thank your wife from us, for dragging ya just one more time to see us before your plan flight off the island! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 25, 2019

See if there are seats available under one of the umbrellas before you order. Some are in the blazing sun and when we visited it was HOT. We had a coupon from the Atlantis Submarine adventure and were glad we did or we might not have ordered the lava lava shrimp. The free appetizer was the highlight of our meal! The spicy shrimp were plentiful and yummy. Unfortunately, the fish in the fish and chips was overcooked and dry and a member at my table said the cantina pork plate was bland. It's still a good value for the area, and we didn't feel rushed even though it was busy at lunchtime on a weekday.

Date of visit: August 2019
Michael L, Manager at Down The Hatch Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2019

Aloha,

Im so glad you enjoyed the Lava Lava Shrimp so much! It is our biggest seller and of course a fan favorite! It can be hot during the summer months, but please let us help you find seating if you have any trouble. We can turn the monster fan that hangs from the ceiling to cool it off quickly! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 24, 2019 via mobile

Love this place! Especially Bailey, he’s a men who works there! And he attend me w a big smile and he’s so nice! Thank you! The food here is one of the best I tried in Hawaii :)

Aloha,

Thank you so much for the excellent review, Bailey will be so happy to read this! Hope to see you again soon, i'm sure bailey will be around!