“We enjoyed our stay”
Review of Hono Koa

Hono Koa
Ranked #32 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We arrived at the Hono Koa after 7:30p.m. and we used the phone to call to get our key card, when we first walked in we noticed that it was stuffy and they only have ceiling fans no AC and we were in the first floor next to the office. From the smaller 2nd bedroom you can hear cars pass by on the road and it was pretty loud. The rooms seemed clean but we found a tick or lice on the bed covers in the small room it freaked us out and then we noticed stains on the sheets in the master bedroom and then a small Gecko crawled by, the whole family was disappointed in what we found and it was our first night and we were exhausted from the plane ride. So the next day we assesed further the condos and saw that it is pretty old, the furniture is tropical themed (Bamboo) but what was really bad is the pictures that are in all the rooms, they're very outdated which doesn't help the decor at all!! other than that we liked that it was spacious, the kitchen was good, it had all we needed and the area on west maui was great, many stores nearby, BBQ's, Good Ocean View although we had a garden view in our room, good beaches and Lahaina Town is 4-5 miles away, very good for us. In the end I would recommend it to visitors because it became a home away from home, it is peaceful not crowded like other resorts and having a washer and dryer made it so easy for us to wash when we came home with sandy wet clothes and towels. Again the best location, location! just enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff make the best of it. you're on vacation!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank hawaiianqueenj

Reviewed June 8, 2009

We booked this for a week from our Timeshare company as a last minute special. For the price we paid it was well worth it.

Pros: location ( central to Lahania and great beaches in Napail); clean; staff is really nice and accomodating; view from #401 was spectacular- could hear ( opened doors all day) and see the ocean and it was spacious- two bedrooms.

Cons: building is old; rooms are outdated; not many rooms are ocean view ( we were upgraded after our initial room had a mildew); no AC ( but ocean breeze was great).

Overall, it was worth the money. However, if you cannot get an ocean view i think it will not be as enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anita A
Reviewed May 17, 2009

When I made the reservation for a Hawaii vaction, Interval Intl. came back with Hona Koa Vacation Resort. I specifically specified Oceanfront Condo. I arrived 2 days early, with my party, and stayed in a hotel. The day before I was to check into Hona Koa, I confirmed, in person, my reservation and was told they had me down for a condo with Oceanview and check in was 4 PM. I stated that Int. Intl. had told me 3PM check in, but OK...4 PM was OK. When I tried to check in at 4PM, the manager told me they were behind and it would be an hour later...we actually were allowed into the condo, #207, at 5:30 PM! Unit #207 was NOT oceanview, but street side, above the office. We were placed in a unit just above the street noise and the patio overlooked the dirty linen carts, mops, etc. We cannot sleep at night. There is no air conditioning which would be OK except that we have to leave all the windows open and and noise is horrific! I have invested a lot of money into my timeshare, spent a lot of money getting here, etc. to have my expected vacation shattered with this unit. I was told by Hona Koa employees that the "owners" were coming into the Oceanview unit and they had priority. Well, don't the owners have to have a specific week? Don't they have to give notice of use? This has ruined my vacation. So disappointing. I have been to Hawaii 4 times and have never had this experience before. I feel cheated. My family, who are experiencing their first visit, can't sleep at night (the mopeds are the worst). I know this situation could have been avoided I called Interval International and they said they could not guarantee an oceanfront view, but could request it. They did. Management at Hona Koa said they recognized that I had requested Oceanview, but the owners showed up! They said they have no control. What is wrong with
this picture. I could accept another unit, I guess, but for all the awful, loud street noise. This is my last trip to Hawaii and the last through Interval International. I am going to try to sell my timeshare interest and from now on, I will be making and confirming my own reservations. .

18  Thank MauiDisappointed
Reviewed October 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the week of our honeymoon; my aunt owns a timeshare here and it was gifted to us. The views are gorgeous, the location is convenient, and you have plenty of space in this well equipped condo. There is technically no beach access, but there are some creepy stairs that take you down to the ocean. The water has to be REALLY CALM for you to use them, or else you will be smashed up against a wall, and be mortally injured. The elevator takes abut 5 minutes to close everytime you use it. Aside from that, it was wonderful! Every patio faces the ocean!!

While they don't have beach access, their sister property, the Sands of Kahaina less then a mile away does, and you can use their ammenities.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank timrhps
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husband and I took our 3 young boys to the Hono Koa and fell in love! We had an end unit, not a Koa, but the other end, and it was absolutly amazing, it had a large lani on both sides, so the one by the front door we could store all the snorkel gear and sand toys and not have to bring them into the room! We could hear and see the ocean from our room. And the room, oh my goodness, it was huge. It has 2 big bedrooms, the "master" bedroom is huge. There are 2 beds in the other bedroom, with an attached bathroom. The sofa turns into a bed, so all three kids slept comfortably in their own beds. The kitchen has everything you need, blender, coffee maker, dishes, pots and pans, you name it, its in there. We only ate out 2 times our entire stay, there are 2 very nice grills by the pool, so we would grill out everynight while the kids played in the pool. All the other guests were so nice, and friendly, so nice to my boys. The pool area is very nice with double lawn chairs, that have shades you can pull over it, like little cabanas. There is a hot tube. There isn't a beach on the property but a nice little deck that looks over the ocean. We didn't mind not having a beach as we wanted to go see other beaches, Kapalua Bay was our favorite, Fleming Beach and Big Beach are also very nice, with bigger waves for boggy boarding. All in all, I would go back here in a heart beat. My boys keep saying we should just move into that unit and live there! So, my advice, don't hesitate going there, you will NOT be disappointed. We can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank freezinginmn08
Reviewed December 10, 2007

This resort is actually a rental condo with full kitchen. The open air lanai looks out over a tropical paradise with an ocean view to die for. The swimming pool was well maintained and the rooms were quite spacious. The rooms had no air conditioning but we really never needed it with the cool ocean breezes. You are quite close to Lahaina with plenty of restaurants, beaches, historical sites, and water adventures including the Atlantis submarine and Maui Ocean Center.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Snowbirds2
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Hono Koa resort is a timeshare property managed by Consolidated Resorts. We traded in to the property through Interval International. As non-owners, we are familiar with the practice of giving owners priority for the best units, and we fully expected to have a unit with a view of the parking lot. Not to worry... all units (there are only about 28) have an entry on the parking lot side and the lanai / patio / balcony faces toward the ocean. The view varies from unit to unit. The very best and largest units are the 01 units which face directly out at the water. There are only 4 floors in this condo (there is an elevator and two sets of stairs) The ground floor units open into a tropical garden and have a direct gate to the pool area. They seemed to be very popular with families and seniors for the ground floor entry and easy pool access. Except for the 01 and possibly the 02 unit, the ground floor units have no ocean view. The second floor is at about treetop level and most units have a partial ocean view. All units on the 3rd and 4th floors have an ocean view. The view includes a nice view of Molokai, and I understand that during whale season, whales can be seen in the channel between this area and Molokai.

All units have 2 bedrooms and a full, well-supplied kitchen. The master bedroom has a king bed and the second bedroom has 2 twin beds. There is a sleeper sofa in the living room. A private bathroom opens from each bedroom. The unit has a washer and dryer. There is no air conditioning, however all rooms in the unit have ceiling fans, and with doors and windows and open, there was a lovely cooling breeze all day. Check the average temperature at the time you will be visiting to determine if you can live with it.

I am not a surfer, but I did see a few surfers in the area who must have accessed the water from another property - waves ranged from flat to 3+ feet. The pool was nice and the hot tub was large enough for at least 4 couples and kept at about 100°. The staff was very cordial and, if you want to book any tours or activities, concierge Joe is present on property from 9a - 4p with a lot of great deals. Checking in after hours requires a phone call (phone and number is on the wall outside the office) to a sister property, but was actually pretty simple. Quiet hours are posted from 10p to 8a, and were well observed. The area was fairly quiet, with some street noise and the crashing of the surf being the primary sounds.

The Hono Koa has plenty of free parking and is a short walk from several small stores including a well supplied convenience store (ABC). A full service grocery store is about a mile away. There is no beach on the property, however there is a lovely deck overlooking the water with chairs and lounges. There is a public park with a small beach about a 3 minute walk away. In general, activities on Maui require a vehicle. Kaanapali and Lahaina are 5 - 10 minutes away and provide plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Overall our stay was exceptionally pleasant and relaxing, and we would recommend this property to anyone looking for a small, quiet location a little bit off the beaten path.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
10  Thank Lani B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#22 of 43 in Lahaina
The Gardens at West Maui Hotel
23 mi away
Maui Banyan Vacation Club

Been to Hono Koa? Share your experiences!