“Excellent Quiet location near Kaanapali Beach”
Review of Hono Koa

Hono Koa
Ranked #36 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Quiet location near Kaanapali Beach”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The reviews are correct - this is not a resort and it is not directly on the beach - however had the people giving these places the poor reviews had done any research prior to coming, they would have known these facts already and adjusted their expectations accordingly. The Hono Koa is however a great little quiet condo building right on the ocean where you can hear the waves crash all day and night if you like. They are all 2 bedroom 2 bath condos with a full kitchen that is well equipped and well maintained, with a friendly staff ready to be help with any needs you may have. The only concern we had is that the pool is not heated, which is common in the area, but it makes it difficult to just hang out by the pool, which sometimes is all you want to do with young kids. Even a couple degrees warmer would have made a huge difference and I hope they look into doing so. Otherwise it was a great place to stay in Maui.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Wicksie33
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for staying at Hono Koa. We are happy you enjoyed our condo-style accommodations and the soothing sounds of the ocean right from your room. We are glad our staff was friendly and willing to assist you with any needs. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider returning soon!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calgary
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I, as well as our two adult children stayed at the Hono Koa for one night in December. Our condo arrangement that we had stayed at previously, could not accommodate us for the additional night so arrangements had to be made to move for the last night of our vacation. I had a feeling after reading reviews of this place, that it would not exceed my expectations … and I was right. For starters, is not located in Lahaina but in Honokowai and is by no means my definition of a "vacation club". I found the location very congested and without a decent selection of restaurants or coffee shops. Judging by previous photos, I knew it would be an older and likely dated facility … and it was. The unit was definitely spacious and an attempt to update it seemed to have been made -- granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and newer living room furniture (though a nasty stained pullout bed mattress). But there was still this overwhelming feeling like I was at my grandmother's house …. that musty, stuffy smell, corny dated pictures on the walls. The lack of air conditioning would have been a big problem for me had it been a longer stay since I was not comfortable leaving the lanai patio doors open at night. The master shower DEFINITELY needs some help. Though I'm sure it was adequately cleaned, it didn't LOOK clean. I actually wore my flip flops while showering. We found the pool very cold and therefore not very inviting. One of my biggest pet peeves on vacation is how incredibly noisy people can be and this facility punctuated that point. Being on the 2nd floor, we were subject to small children running what seemed like laps back and forth and dragging chairs above us - all evening and then early in the morning. At sunrise, we heard some people in the pool/garden area bellowing to each other which turned into a verbal disagreement with some other vacationers asking them to keep it down. It would seem obvious to most to be considerate and keep a low voice if outside in the early morning hours. Slamming entry doors from our floor and what seemed the floor above began early in the morning as well. But here again, the total lack of consideration of other travellers never ceases to amaze me.

Another disappointment to add was the lack of beach area. I suppose if you know this going in and are willing to always drive to a nearby beach, then it wouldn't be a problem.

I would not ever consider staying here again nor recommending it as I think there are much nicer areas on the island to stay that have better beaches, dining choices, and amenities. This building is outdated, old and has little to offer in the way of relaxation and quiet.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here - reserve a top floor if you value quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lilshoppinggal
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hono Koa. We regret to learn our resort did not leave you with a more favorable impression. We are committed to the highest standards of quality and cleanliness, and would like to further discuss your particular concerns. Please contact us at 800-775-8463 at your convenience. Thank you.
Novato, CA
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We own a one-week time-share at the Hono Koa. If there is one place in the world that I want to be, it is at the Hono Koa. It isn't for the snooty traveler, but it has exactly what I want: terrific on the water views. I can read on the balcony all day. I can walk down the slippery stone steps and snorkel right out in front of the property. Turtles abound in the nearby reef. I can see every fish I come to Hawaii to see, Humu's, Moorish Idols, and rarely a yellow Tang.
Parking is easy. There IS one slow elevator. They DO seem to keep the place up. The chairs suck, the TV is NOT HD, but the kitchen is massive and the BBQ's are brand new. The pool is NOT heated, but I have never used it anyway. The Jacuzzi seems to be popular, again not used by me. There is no A/C.
You need a car. There are no nearby restaurants, but Lahaina is about a ten minute drive away. I buy a paper at the ABC store every morning and there is a Farmer's Market every MWF within a two minute drive or a five minute walk.
When I die, I want my ashes scattered in the ocean by the Hono Koa.

Room Tip: The Koa units have the best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Grumpy5
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We are thrilled you loved your stay at Hono Koa. We are happy you enjoyed terrific ocean views and snorkeling. Your detailed account of our accommodations and the surrounding area will certainly be helpful for those planning a stay. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

If you want a low keyed short distance from beach shore and small resort this is the place. We had a two bedroom 2 bathroom full kitchen and was fully stocked with soaps towels etc. no air conditioning, however, this time of month the ocean breeze was enough. The pool and spa was clean and inviting and the BBQ area. There is a nice platform sitting over the ocean where we enjoyed the sunsets. Local stores are within walking distance, and the main beach shoreline was about 5 minutes driving distance. Water toys can be rented across the street by the Farmer's Market.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Surelyparafise
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hono Koa. We are glad you enjoyed our condo-style accommodations and proximity to the beach. Sitting over the ocean watching the sunset sounds like an amazing experience. We hope you will consider returning soon!
Portland Oregon
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had read some reviews of the Hono Koa, so had some preconceived notions. Knew it was not a fancy place, but functional and in a good location albeit without a beach. Unit was on 4th floor, spacious and with nice view of the ocean and Molokai. No AC, but with front and lanai door open got good circulation. Thank god for ceiling fans in BRs. Kitchen was cozy but with new SS appliances. New wireless is plugged into light switch, so good night means no internet unless you leave switch on and turn off lights manually. Weird that they would install router/modem that way. TV was small by today's standards and not HD.

Pool area is not spacious, but never got crowded while we were there. Surrounded by lush foliage. There is a small, pleasant deck over the ocean edge with room for a couple lounges.

Staff was helpful, although present only during business hours. Beach equipment left by previous renters and owners is available for tenants. We used beach chairs and mats and umbrella.

Location is close to great beaches and good restaurants. Check out the Sea House in Napili for Happy Hour and the Plantation at Kapalua for fancy, but reasonable breakfast. Have gone to the Gazebo before, but not this trip. Lahaina is fairly close and worth checking out, of course. Warren and Annabelle magic show is great-the Warren part anyway.

All in all a nice place for a home base to explore the West Maui area. Not a place to spend every day, all day at.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pdxguyharvey
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Hono Koa Resort. We are glad you found our accommodations spacious, featuring a nice ocean view. We are happy our staff was helpful, and our location a convenience. Your detailed description of our resort will certainly be helpful for those planning a visit. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider another stay soon!
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We took our 2 granddaughters to Hawaii and stayed at this resort for a week. This is an older resort, but is very well maintained. We called two or three months before we left home and requested an upper room. The air circulation is better and you can see the ocean. There is no air conditioning, but we were very comfortable. We were there in the summer and we were able to swim in the ocean (understand beach and swimming is closed in the winter) The area we swam in was good and some of the residents saw turtles. We did not. The swimming pool is small, but was never crowded when we were there. I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 202, rooms ending in one look to be the very best, but we were very satisfied with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Fancyceleste
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hono Koa. We are happy you found our resort well-maintained and comfortable. We are glad you and your family enjoyed the beach and even got a look at some turtles. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you back soon!
Prior Lake
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our first time in Maui and we were here for 2 weeks. The management was very nice and let us move to an upper floor unit for our second week as I felt a little closed in on the first floor. The units are at least 2 bedrooms, spacious and clean. As is typical with timeshare exchanges, this is not a resort but more like a home base apartment, with a small pool/hot tub and a deck by the ocean. The address says "Lahaina" but it is a small area called Honokowai, within walking distance of grocery store, 1 nice restaurant and a small park. We liked the area as it was easy to go north to very nice beaches and hiking or to go south to Front Street in Lahaina or further south to fancy resorts and beaches. We prefer these kinds of places to high rise hotels and we were gone most of everyday, anyway. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sophiemae
drenzi, Manager at Hono Koa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hono Koa. We are happy that we were able to provide you with an upper floor unit during your second week. We are glad that our resort was the perfect home base for exploring the area. We hope that you will consider another stay soon!