“The most "hip" and "fresh" Bed & Breakfast in Maui.”

Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“The most "hip" and "fresh" Bed & Breakfast in Maui.”
Reviewed June 6, 2006

The most "hip" and "fresh" Bed & Breakfast in Maui. I enjoyed my stay here, the owners were out of town and a new Manager had taken over. I thought the new approach to serving us was not stuffy or corporate, I felt very relaxed, unlike most other bed and brekfasts that would appeal to older and less worldly travelers. My recommendation for this establishment is very strong, and I would advise more urban travelers as well as any other interested tourist. In my opinion I would compare the rooms to the Ritz Carlton. Happy travels!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed April 6, 2006

Being from O`ahu, my husband & I were looking to get away for the weekend and thought a bed & breakfast would be great. While we had a little difficulty finding the Garden Gate B&B at first, we finally found it located in a residential, but quiet neighborhood. We arrived early in the morning and were able to leave our luggage in storage while we enjoyed the beaches prior to checking in later that afternoon. We met Bill, one of the owners, and found him to be helpful in terms of where to eat in Lahaina and just general info about the B&B. He also told us that we could just go directly to our room when we came back, making the check-in process extremely easy. Our room was very spacious & clean and included our own lanai. There is an outdoor lounge/bbq area and always seemed to be a fresh supply of apple-bananas for the taking. We found the Garden Gate to be an affordable & quiet alternative to the big resorts on that part of the island. We would stay there again!

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2006

My husband and I recently spent one night at the end of our vacation at the Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast in Lahaina, Maui. It sure surprised us to simply see a sign that no breakfast was served on Saturday or Sunday. No vouchers were provided or any suggestions were given.Nothing was written on their website. It was very cool treatment by the owners. The place was clean and the garden pleasant, but not located all that well in amongst modest homes and some that were trashed. I would not stay here again. We are now calling the place the "Garden Gate Bed and Nuttin'honey"

12 Thank Glitzychicky
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2006

My wife and I and family have just returned from a wonderful vacation on Maui. Our vacation was much more delightful because of the Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast and our hosts, Bill and Jaime.

The rooms at the Garden Gate are bright and spotlessly clean. Our family group occupied five rooms, from the cozy Ginger to the very spacious upper balcony room, complete with a lovely ocean view.

The large covered patio and surrounding garden with a bridge over a trickling brook was great for the several B-B-Q’s that we enjoyed. We even celebrated New Year’s on the patio with another family from Germany. The large well kept garden has many tropical plants and flowers and banana trees. The four year-old in our party had plenty of room to run and be safe within the confines of the gated garden.

Each morning in the main patio area, Bill set out a breakfast of fresh fruits and juices, freshly baked pastries and endless carafes of great Maui coffee.

Jaime was particularly helpful securing reservations at a fabulous Luau and boat trips to snorkel and whale watch. Jaime was also in very helpful in finding hair and nail salons for the women in our group.

Our family spent two wonderful weeks at the Garden Gate. I highly recommend this charming bed and breakfast for those wishing a quiet, home style atmosphere away from the maddening crowds.

Stayed December 2005
5 Thank Doug T
Reviewed January 20, 2006

My husband and I were excited to visit Maui for the first time and knew that hotel rates would be extremely expensive due to holiday travels (Dec-Jan). We booked an ocean view room 6 months prior to our vacation for a great deal through an employee at the Garden Gate (not Jaime or Bill) and payed for half our stay. As we were nearing our vacation, we recieved a call from Jaime demanding our balance which I was happy to give but since we had just returned from being out of town,literally just stepping off the plane, I wanted to call her back so I could get organized. She did not budge and told me that she would gladly hold while I found my credit card. I was a bit alarmed at her rude persistance, but let it go anyway. 2 weeks prior to our arrival, I received another call from Jaime. She told me that the room which we were booked for was not guaranteed, and that the employee that helped us with our reservation was fired (perhaps for giving us such a great deal?) So basically, she was upset that she couldn't make more money on our room. I then politely told her that it wasn't our problem that her employee got fired, that we want the room that we paid for and reserved, and we wanted a receipt either by mail or email. She said that they "don't do that". I was completely confused at how this so-called professional B&B does not give any receipts, nor do they honor reservations. Anyway, we ended up canceling our reservation (at Jaime's request). We were lucky to find a better place right on the beach AND it was less expensive! Please, please, please, don't stay here...Although we never did, the experience we had with Jaime convinced us, even begged us not to stay here even more.

• Stayed December 2005
25 Thank Monica N
Reviewed November 1, 2005

We have been home for a few days and have had time to reflect on our eight days in Maui.
We stayed at three locations on three sides of the island. Since we were at your place first it set the benchmark which neither of the other two came close. Four thumbs up.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2005

We went to Hawaii for a friend's wedding -- it was our first time in Hawaii
and our first time at a B&B. When we saw the place, we were disappointed with the way it looked -- the pictures they have on their website are very deceiving. All of the shots that you see of the beach are not from this place, the place is NOT on the beach, and looks more like a motel (I attached some pictures). But what made it a horrible experience was the hosts. They were both moody, rude and unprofessional. They made you feel like you were bothering them half the time. Too long a story to explain here, but we ended up so unhappy and feeling so unwelcome (the hostess Jaime won't think twice about screaming at you) that we didn't stay for the whole time we had already paid for. When we got back we made a complaint to the BBB but they stuck to their guns and we never got a refund. They knew the BBB couldn't really enforce anything. We tried all different things because we were so upset that they got away with treating us how they did. It bothered us for a long time, but we ended up realizing it wasn't worth our time to keep pursuing it. It was really expensive for us to spend the $ twice for our stay in Hawaii, but in the end it was worth it to go somewhere where we felt comfortable and in nice surroundings (this was the Marriott). I know it's sometimes hard to trust what you read in reviews, but I hope my review rings true and that you believe it because it is true. I don't understand how these people are in business. If you're even considering staying here, go to the BBB -- they have an unsatisfactory record with them. It definitely isn't some tropical paradise. We could have overlooked the motel look for the sake of having a relaxing and stress-free vacation, but after how we were treated, and realizing the hosts had not ounce of professionalism, it could have looked liked Trump Plaza and it still wouldn't have been worth staying there. The fact that the place was not as it was depicted on the website just added insult to injury.

• Stayed August 2003